• Oct 16th, 2017 4:21 pm
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
919 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto

Tesla fires hundreds of workers as part of annual reviews

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/tesl ... -1.3632433

Tesla Motors fired hundreds of workers after completing its annual performance reviews, even though the electric automaker is trying to ramp up production to meet the demand for its new Model 3 sedan.

Despite the mass firings, Tesla is still looking to hire hundreds more workers.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2358 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
There goes my hopes of receiving my model 3 by 2021!!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
they will hire them back at lower wages!
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
I think initially Tesla tried to enter the market by conventional means (stimulated by government subsidies so not so much a waste of their own $$), so it overcommitted with operations too broadly to hit local markets that can easily be centralized and margins reduced -- particularly looking at sales and administrative.

I take them at their word for it though when they make it seem like a number of manufacturing job cuts were due to performance related issues.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3983 posts
2447 upvotes
Burnaby
ysl5710 wrote: Tesla fires hundreds of workers as part of annual reviews

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/tesl ... -1.3632433

Tesla Motors fired hundreds of workers after completing its annual performance reviews, even though the electric automaker is trying to ramp up production to meet the demand for its new Model 3 sedan.

Despite the mass firings, Tesla is still looking to hire hundreds more workers.
I wish all Canadian government agencies and corporations would do the same. And all Canadian private companies overtaken by unions and the like (cronies/cliques), as well.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2358 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
Also, I wonder how many of those let go will cancel their Model 3 orders!
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
some1not wrote: Also, I wonder how many of those let go will cancel their Model 3 orders!
How many would that be? 1? 2?

We're talking mostly manufacturing jobs.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2358 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote: How many would that be? 1? 2?

Are you saying that people working manufacturing jobs are not Model 3 customers? Especially Tesla's blue collar workers?
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
some1not wrote: Are you saying that people working manufacturing jobs are not Model 3 customers? Especially Tesla's blue collar workers?
The vast majority in manufacturing for Tesla are making $14-17 hour (per Glassdoor), which is typical for unskilled labor. They're not in the target market for Model 3's.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
aviador wrote: I wish all Canadian government agencies and corporations would do the same. And all Canadian private companies overtaken by unions and the like (cronies/cliques), as well.
Or they could pay higher wages and get better workers like Canadian private companies including automakers who have highest quality factories in Canada
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8532 upvotes
GTHA
AndySixx wrote: How many would that be? 1? 2?

Do know how many manufacturing jobs?

"The Mercury News reported that former and current employees said there was little or no warning ahead of the dismissals, with workers estimating between 400 and 700 employees were fired, including trained engineers working on vehicle design and production, a supervisor, and factory employees. Tesla told the newspaper that most of the dismissals were administrative and sales positions, and outside of manufacturing, the report said."
from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla- ... 2017-10-14
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3983 posts
2447 upvotes
Burnaby
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: Or they could pay higher wages and get better workers like Canadian private companies including automakers who have highest quality factories in Canada
Automakers preferred moving their factories out of Canada to the US and Mexico where they can get those "better" workers for half or less (USA) or one fifth (Mexico) of what they paid to Canadian autoworkers. Not even receiving CA$4 billions of bail out money (free!!!) could persuade them to keep their factories in Ontario [during the last recession, 2008-...].

In addition, Tesla's factories are fourth wave manufacturing facilities (needless to point out with the highest level of automatization) unlike the labor intensive Canadian facilities.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4543 posts
167 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Wow, I had no idea they have 33K workers, in that case even 700 workers is just regular turnover ~2%.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4890 posts
1049 upvotes
How is this news or a surprise? A bunch of people got fired because they were in the bottom quartile (or whatever subset) of their groups. Churn them out. Thanks for the contribution but we’ve decided to go in a different direction. One of the big criticisms of bloate uncompetitive Canadian companies is that it takes forever to get rid of people who aren’t a good fit or don’t have what it takes to excel in their respective roles ... at best you get a bunch of mediocrity. People hiding in plain sight.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5584 posts
2332 upvotes
Tesla is a time bomb. The market will eventually see it for what it is - a giant money pit with no profitability in sight. People diss Twitter and say they will never become profitable like facebook, but what about Tesla? It absorbed that blackhole named SolarCity, because Elon Musk could not get financing for it, and Tesla absorbed all the debt of SolarCity.

Tesla itself is increasingly losing money every single quarter. There will be a reckoning when the market refuses to loan Tesla money and then the company will go under. The whole Tesla model was to get government subsidies then ramp up the efficiency of scale. Subsidies are ending, and Tesla isn't building remotely enough cars to lower costs. Margins are getting more and negative. Somehow the market values Tesla at around a Chrysler, even though Tesla isnt profitable, and wont be for the foreseeable future

I guess Mr. Musk can go play with his Boring company or SpaceX if his car and battery company doesn't make it.