• Oct 29th, 2019 1:53 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
746 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto

Tesla impact on used and leased car market

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzela ... ar-values/

The article says that drivers of luxury European cars are trading them in for Teslas, thus lowering the value of used cars and making leasing more expensive, as residual values lower. What are your thoughts? I suppose I should look to the used car market for my next vehicle?
33 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13136 posts
7441 upvotes
Toronto
redwings_patriots wrote: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzela ... ar-values/

The article says that drivers of luxury European cars are trading them in for Teslas, thus lowering the value of used cars and making leasing more expensive, as residual values lower. What are your thoughts? I suppose I should look to the used car market for my next vehicle?
Isn't that always the case? In most scenarios, people would rather buy used, ie; previously short termed leases than to take a hit on the depreciation, let the 'richer' absorb all the upfront costs.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
5929 posts
3863 upvotes
Kitchener
Basically people trading in their BMWs and Audis for Model 3s and saving boatloads of money on fuel and maintenance costs. If you're excited to save extra money on that used BMW you've had your eye on, you obviously haven't done the math.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30976 posts
16734 upvotes
Ottawa
IntrepidRT wrote: Basically people trading in their BMWs and Audis for Model 3s and saving boatloads of money on fuel and maintenance costs. If you're excited to save extra money on that used BMW you've had your eye on, you obviously haven't done the math.
Haha!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2904 posts
2256 upvotes
Just simple supply and demand. When demand is low for a particular used car and supply is high, prices will go down.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13351 posts
13701 upvotes
Oakville
IntrepidRT wrote: Basically people trading in their BMWs and Audis for Model 3s and saving boatloads of money on fuel and maintenance costs. If you're excited to save extra money on that used BMW you've had your eye on, you obviously haven't done the math.
Not everybody wants to drive a Tesla. Personally I'd prefer to use a Tesla for commuting and a BMW M2 for a track car.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6741 posts
5582 upvotes
North York

I'm reading the article, and at no point it says anything about higher or lower residual value.
It claims
it’s a definite disadvantage to those trading one in or planning to lease a new model.
but offer no details or explanation about this.

I understand if you purchase a car, and absorb all the heavy depreciation. But leasing a car has nothing with depreciation, at least in my opinion.
I am leasing 2 cars and planning to return both cars at the end of their leases, I in fact don't care about depreciation value, i care about how much I pay a month if I can afford that, and how long I am leasing the cars for.

The only thing different from 2018 and 2019 numbers for me was the cut off EV promo from government.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4690 posts
3169 upvotes
Or if you are Mercedes, you double down and increase maintenance schedule interval on lower end products and increase the cost of pre-buy maintenance package to increase profit.

Case in point:

2016 C class - 20K/1year
2019 C class - 15K/1year
2020 GLE class - 20K/1year

They all the the same freaking 2L engine.

Back on topic. Yes, leases are not as good but it's due to many factors. And it's no doubt that all ICE will worth less and less going forward to the world switches over to EV.

EV will also have very poor residual since we are still in the cutting edge technology wise. Expect any EV with Li-Ion batteries to take a bath if Solid State Battery get released and adopted en-mass.

TLDR

Li-Ion EV will reduce resale of ICE
SSB EV will reduce resale of Li-Ion EV.
Feb 8, 2010
295 posts
213 upvotes
redwings_patriots wrote: ... lowering the value of used cars and making leasing more expensive, as residual values lower.
Where is the cheap used BMW/Mercedes/Lexus? This is RFD, post the deal link!
Jan 28, 2017
120 posts
116 upvotes
Markham
While Model 3's could have some negative impact on used luxury car market, seems most customers are trading in mass market brands. Maybe due to the cool tech factor, ev savings, etc. but my guess is that used luxury brands are built so cheaply that it is diluting their brand cachet more than anything else. Models like F30 3-series or Benz GLA, are really cheaply built for a car with a "luxury badge" (note - don't own/have driven in any, but have sat in them and the quality feels like a mass market car but with a shiny logo on the steering wheel).

https://electrek.co/2018/08/01/tesla-mo ... e-in-cars/

From 2018, but top trade in's for Model 3 (non Tesla models)
  • Toyota Prius
  • BMW 3-Series
  • Honda Accord
  • Honda Civic
  • Nissan Leaf
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2904 posts
2256 upvotes
konsensei wrote:

I understand if you purchase a car, and absorb all the heavy depreciation. But leasing a car has nothing with depreciation, at least in my opinion.
I am leasing 2 cars and planning to return both cars at the end of their leases, I in fact don't care about depreciation value, i care about how much I pay a month if I can afford that, and how long I am leasing the cars for.
You are leasing 2 cars and you make the comment that leasing a car has nothing to do with depreciation? When you lease a car, it is the depreciation of the car that you pay for. So the more that the car depreciates, the more you pay for a lease.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51946 posts
16526 upvotes
Premium to luxury ICEV resale values are really going to get beaten down compared to longer range, relatively maintenance-free BEV resale values. Used car buyers usually are more cost-conscious and practical. Dealerships may offer higher trade in values but that could be a the expense of lower discounting for the new car.

The same thing will happen to Tesla resale value if it's proven not to be as reliable once it's past the warranty period (hopefully it does). I think Tesla statisticians are still estimating repair costs and frequencies and may offer ESA before 2022 when the first batches of TM3's will be running out of their four year warranty. The ESA will help keep residual values of TM3's relatively high maybe until the 9th year.

As other upcoming BEVs show up in the market, people like me who don't really care much for the SCN and 0-60 in the 4 to 5 second range, will be comparing prices of used BEVs to new BEVs. If a five year old LR AWD TM3 will be selling for 60% residual (low depreciation with only battery and drive unit warranty intact), I might as well go with a new BEV from a competitor.
Penalty Box
Feb 16, 2013
1043 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
I can't wait till we get Chinese electrics.
Hopefully there will be a beige Corolla of electrics in the future.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51946 posts
16526 upvotes
But they will target China first and then Europe and Canada will likely be an afterthought, as usual.

I'd say best is to drive our already depreciated ICEVs into the ground while waiting for the the next batches of BEVs to set foot on our shores, depreciate, and cherry-pick the compelling ones like the Taycan haha.

Depreciation ICEVs/HEVs/PHEVs/BEVs > repairs > fuel cost for most of us who don't drive big trucks and pick-ups. Drive a reliable enough car of whatever propulsion and get the prerogative to wait for a used compelling BEV to come to market. I don't I want another ICEV but an AWD HEV with 60 MPG and <6 secs 0-100 I'd be open to (as if that's going to happen).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3521 posts
2101 upvotes
Ontario

ICE apocalypse is not far off - ICE vehicles are the Torquing Dead.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"