Automotive

Tesla - Incredible resale value (?!)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2022 6:40 am
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Tesla has now achieved the hyper car status. It can sell in the 7 figures easily

Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Really? It’s a collector car now?
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10979 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
TuxedoBlack wrote: I'm now chuckling at the downvotes that I received in this thread.

If anything, my 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD is worth at least as much as what I paid back in June of 2020. Tesla's have held up incredibly well in terms of its strong resale value, though I wish the quality was a little better.
Many cars of a 2020 vintage haven’t depreciated as much as usual due to inflation and shortages. The great Covid effect.

Tesla has the added benefit of being in a growing segment, so definitely a good buy 2 years ago.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: I'm now chuckling at the downvotes that I received in this thread.

If anything, my 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD is worth at least as much as what I paid back in June of 2020. Tesla's have held up incredibly well in terms of its strong resale value, though I wish the quality was a little better.
LOL bumping two year old thread and using today's market as "proof" is only going to find you more downvotes.

There are lots of cars that are "worth as much as I paid x years ago", that aren't Teslas. That's how insane the market is now. It's not necessarily indicative of Tesla [only] resale value. Yes Teslas have good resale, but we'll see how that pans out when the market dies and the cars get older and the batteries start going south.

If you want a car that holds amazing value in any market? Buy a Porsche.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL bumping two year old thread and using today's market as "proof" is only going to find you more downvotes.

There are lots of cars that are "worth as much as I paid x years ago", that aren't Teslas. That's how insane the market is now. It's not necessarily indicative of Tesla [only] resale value. Yes Teslas have good resale, but we'll see how that pans out when the market dies and the cars get older and the batteries start going south.

Yeah, maybe I came across as thumping my chest, but if you re-visit the original post, I posed the resale value as a question-mark.

I don't know if Tesla will continue to retain its value well but it does appear that every single used car is now worth more (and not just Teslas).
cartfan123 wrote: Many cars of a 2020 vintage haven’t depreciated as much as usual due to inflation and shortages. The great Covid effect.

Tesla has the added benefit of being in a growing segment, so definitely a good buy 2 years ago.
Yeah, definitely agree.

But that's hindsight bias. No one could've predicted that.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14884 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
macnut wrote: Pretty much.

Taking that first one as an example,
the owner is making the mistake of assuming his initial selections (body colour, interior, wheels, etc.) plus his aftermarket additions (PPF, ceramic coating, sound system, etc.) are what every used buyer will be seeking and be ready to pay something for.
The seller doesn’t need to believe that “his initial selections (body colour, interior, wheels, etc.) plus his aftermarket additions (PPF, ceramic coating, sound system, etc.) are what every used buyer will be seeking”. The seller isn’t selling to “every buyer”.

I think the seller only has to believe that “at least one used buyer will be seeking” what they are offering at that price.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
That will never sell at that price when you can buy a brand new one for a lot less from Tesla.
Today vs 6 months from now.
6 months isn't a long time for any new vehicle especially in today's climate but some people are impatient.
ericlewis91 wrote: What happens to the battery after a while? Don't they not hold charge as well? Need to be replaced?
Most EVs have a 160k KM warranty for 70-80% degradation.
So yeah they don't hold a charge like they used to. You don't have to replace them, but what was once 500km range is now 350km range. Chop off 20% to get to 80% and lose another 50% to cold weather and you're at 140km effective. If you can deal with 140km 10 years later, you can still drive the car or swap it for a new battery and get the full "500" km back.
tehwegz wrote:
-7-10k cost replacement with potential to upgrade. ICE engine/transmissions can easily cost that much to replace anyway.
While I haven't looked at every EV on the planet, only the leaf was upgradable and even that wasn't official.
I haven't heard of any EV that has an officially upgradable battery later even paying for it yourself.

Also if it was $7k I'd giggle all the way to the bank.

I priced a battery on a Model X 90D for giggles and it came in at $26000. My Mach E is $52000 or something ridiculous but I'm pretty sure that's so people don't buy the battery for other purposes. I expect that to come down in 5-10 years when there's not so much demand.

My Kia Soul was something like $16000 despite having a tiny ass battery.
carmaster wrote: Delusional. For $5K more you can get a brand new one.
Obviously not the sold price, but I've seen a few used cars going for more than new ones that you can drive off in right now.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
Everything is keeping its value right now. I can sell my used DD for what I bought it 2 yrs ago easily according to my dealer and AutoTrader etc etc...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2008
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL bumping two year old thread and using today's market as "proof" is only going to find you more downvotes.

None as good as tesla, a 2020 tesla is holding better value compared to vast majority of any other reasonable 2020 car at the moment (BMW, Audi, Merc, Camry etc), especially with the $5000 rebate, pair that with the gas savings and 0 in maintenance. This thread has aged really well.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ericlewis91 wrote: How much is a new battery?
Battery will out live the chassis.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: How much is a new battery?
2017 Model X 90D I got quoted for $26000
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
death_hawk wrote: 2017 Model X 90D I got quoted for $26000
Isn't battery covered for 8 years? So it won't expire until sometime in 2025 if it is a 2017 Model Year.

Why did the battery fail? And why isn't it covered by warranty?
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: Isn't battery covered for 8 years? So it won't expire until sometime in 2025 if it is a 2017 Model Year.
160k KM too, whichever comes first.
You could blow the warranty in 2 years if you use this for a very high mileage application.
Why did the battery fail? And why isn't it covered by warranty?
It didn't. I was planning on what happens if I owned one and it did in 2025. That's not even that far away.
I make the requisite RFD $100k/year but I still in good conscience crush a vehicle that's 8 years and 1 day just because it has a broken battery. So I wanted to see what the "easy" route of just swapping batteries is like. Or if it was now 12 years and the rest of the car is still good but the battery is now 50% capacity.

Besides... I don't even own one. If I was dropping what's still literally 6 figures I want to know my exit plan.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
death_hawk wrote: 160k KM too, whichever comes first.
You could blow the warranty in 2 years if you use this for a very high mileage application.

It didn't. I was planning on what happens if I owned one and it did in 2025. That's not even that far away.
I make the requisite RFD $100k/year but I still in good conscience crush a vehicle that's 8 years and 1 day just because it has a broken battery. So I wanted to see what the "easy" route of just swapping batteries is like. Or if it was now 12 years and the rest of the car is still good but the battery is now 50% capacity.

Besides... I don't even own one. If I was dropping what's still literally 6 figures I want to know my exit plan.
I'm not sure if the battery warranty is only 160K kms for 2017 model years. Those years had 8 year warranty and UNLIMITED kms. The newer ones do have a limit but even that limit is 240K kms. See this: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/vehicle-warranty

Do you even own a 2017 Model X? Like you said: you do not. So why create FUD??

As @EP32k2 said: the chassis will outlive the battery.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TuxedoBlack wrote: I'm not sure if the battery warranty is only 160K kms for 2017 model years. Those years had 8 year warranty and UNLIMITED kms. The newer ones do have a limit but even that limit is 240K kms. See this: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/vehicle-warranty

Do you even own a 2017 Model X? Like you said: you do not. So why create FUD??

I think you meant the battery will outlive the chassis :p

Although with the S/X corrosion is less of a concern, but still happens. Especially when you read up on the problematic falcon doors rubbing paint away and pitting.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: I'm not sure if the battery warranty is only 160K kms for 2017 model years. Those years had 8 year warranty and UNLIMITED kms. The newer ones do have a limit but even that limit is 240K kms. See this: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/vehicle-warranty
Eh. It's not like I memorized the warranty for every EV. Most are 160k/8 years. It's nice that Tesla has 240k or unlimited especially considering the price of the vehicle.

I actually wonder what the relationship between an extra 50% on mileage and the 10% less in warranty threshold is going to be like though.
Quite a number of other EV brands, the warranty kicks in at 80% SOC whereas Tesla is 70% SOC.
Also the extra mileage warranty might not even mean anything since 240/8 = 30k per year. Only in a high mileage scenario would someone really qualify before 8 years comes up. 30k km = 82km per day every day. That's a pretty long commute for something non commercial.
Do you even own a 2017 Model X? Like you said: you do not.
Why do I need to own it to know what the battery costs?
So why create FUD??
Exactly where am I creating FUD?

Yeah... you might want to go back and read that again. Good try though!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: Eh. It's not like I memorized the warranty for every EV. Most are 160k/8 years. It's nice that Tesla has 240k or unlimited especially considering the price of the vehicle.

I actually wonder what the relationship between an extra 50% on mileage and the 10% less in warranty threshold is going to be like though.
Quite a number of other EV brands, the warranty kicks in at 80% SOC whereas Tesla is 70% SOC.
Also the extra mileage warranty might not even mean anything since 240/8 = 30k per year. Only in a high mileage scenario would someone really qualify before 8 years comes up. 30k km = 82km per day every day. That's a pretty long commute for something non commercial.

Why do I need to own it to know what the battery costs?

Exactly where am I creating FUD?

Yeah... you might want to go back and read that again. Good try though!
Yup you’re right. Not being an owner and with all the reasearch you have done on the internet makes you the expert :p

@SmartElectric owns an S and has shared his experience extensively on the costs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Yup you’re right. Not being an owner and with all the reasearch you have done on the internet makes you the expert :p
Exactly where did I claim to be an expert on anything?
Practically the only thing I said was that a replacement battery was $26000 which is the price that the Tesla service center gave me.
@SmartElectric owns an S and has shared his experience extensively on the costs.
Got a link?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 160k KM too, whichever comes first.

Exit plan is trade in for a new one after 5-6 years, it'll be outdated like a phone anyway
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: Exactly where did I claim to be an expert on anything?
Practically the only thing I said was that a replacement battery was $26000 which is the price that the Tesla service center gave me.

Got a link?
You’ll have to search his posts. He usually posts in the Tesla owners thread.

All I’m saying with info on the internet you’ll only ever find issues ppl have and this goes for everything. It’s rare to hear about batteries needing replacements in teslas. Sure with the early S this did happen, but like I said it’s rare now and if one needed a replacement it’s usually due to physical damage.