Automotive

Tesla Model 3 Charging questions

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 7:29 am
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
36 posts
15 upvotes

Tesla Model 3 Charging questions

Hi All,

I am planning to get a Tesla Model 3 SR+ that I can take advantage of the rebate before any changes after the election. This will totally replacing my ICE car and become the only car for the family; therefore I do have some questions for the charging method as I am a newbie for EV.

I rarely do any long travel. Commute would be within GTA. Daily commute would be within 200km.

Does any of you get the Tesla Charge Station wall connector (https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/si ... -connector) for your Model 3?
How fast would it take to charge your Model 3?
What is the cost for the setup please?

I heard that you can also install just the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket with the Mobile connector that come with ( https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/ge ... tor-bundle) and adding the NEMA 14-50 plug.
Anyone is using this method?
What is the charging time for the full charge please? (I did the calculation and it should be from 8 to 12 hours but I would like to know the real world data please)
What is the cost to set up the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket please (my house is equipped to 200AMP already)?

In addition, any recommendation please?

Thanks in advance.

Terence
23 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
No need to buy the Wall Connector, because the car comes with the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. The Gen 2 Mobile Connector comes with capability to connect to a regular 120V socket, so you can use it right away in your garage. The problem is that this will be very slow. That's why it is recommended to install a new NEMA 14-50 (240 volt / 50 amp) socket in your garage. You need to call around a few electricians and ask for a quote to install a new cable from your main electrical panel to your garage with a NEMA 14-50 socket on whichever wall you pick. It's recommended to have the new socket on the driver's side wall. Alternatively you could also have it on the front wall but offset to the left. That's how I have it, and the Mobile connector is long enough to reach all the way back to the car's charge port.
After you install the NEMA 14-50 socket, you will need to change one part on your charger. It's this one: https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/ge ... a-adapters
Pick 14-50 from the list and order it.
Then when it arrives, you unplug the 120V cable from the Mobile Connector and plug in the new 14-50 cable.
The Mobile Connector is capable on accepting both 120V and 240V and sending it to the car. All you need is the right adapter for $44.
Member
Apr 27, 2009
257 posts
83 upvotes
West Vancouver
One factor that can significantly effect cost is the amount of surplus capacity on your electrical panel and your local electrical code. Due to panel capacity and local electrical code a friend of mine can only charge his TESLA SR+ at a 30A rate.

You may have to talk to a electrician to get an answer to your question.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
The OP said that the panel is rated at 200A. I assume it's enough, but of course an electrician is the only one who's verdict matters.
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10687 posts
5162 upvotes
Calgary
TerenceWong wrote: Hi All,

I am planning to get a Tesla Model 3 SR+ that I can take advantage of the rebate before any changes after the election. This will totally replacing my ICE car and become the only car for the family; therefore I do have some questions for the charging method as I am a newbie for EV.

I rarely do any long travel. Commute would be within GTA. Daily commute would be within 200km.

Does any of you get the Tesla Charge Station wall connector (https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/si ... -connector) for your Model 3?
How fast would it take to charge your Model 3?
What is the cost for the setup please?

I heard that you can also install just the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket with the Mobile connector that come with ( https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/ge ... tor-bundle) and adding the NEMA 14-50 plug.
Anyone is using this method?
What is the charging time for the full charge please? (I did the calculation and it should be from 8 to 12 hours but I would like to know the real world data please)
What is the cost to set up the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket please (my house is equipped to 200AMP already)?

In addition, any recommendation please?

Thanks in advance.

Terence
There is no need to get the wall connector since you don't do long roadtrips; the included mobile connector (and buy the NEMA 14-50 plug) will be sufficient for your needs. My house has 100A panel and that is sufficient. Model 3 can charge at 32 amp with the mobile charger, so you will be charging at 7.6 kW. That is roughly 50km of added range per hour. For SR+ you are probably looking at 0-100% in 8 hours.

My other recommendation is to get a proper set of winter tires.
Last edited by b166er1337 on Oct 2nd, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Numbers were off
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2147 posts
775 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: There is no need to get the wall connector since you don't do long roadtrips; the included mobile connector (and buy the NEMA 14-50 plug) will be sufficient for your needs. My house has 100A panel and that is sufficient. Model 3 can charge at 32 amp with the mobile charger, so you will be charging at 7.6 kW. That is roughly 38km of added range per hour. For SR+ you are probably looking at 0-100% in 10 hours.

My other recommendation is to get a proper set of winter tires.
I have the Tesla wall connector and it charges the SR+ at 53km/h at 32A. I leave the mobile connector in my bottom trunk just in case I ever need while away from home.
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10687 posts
5162 upvotes
Calgary
benjicash wrote: I have the Tesla wall connector and it charges the SR+ at 53km/h at 32A. I leave the mobile connector in my bottom trunk just in case I ever need while away from home.
You are right. I forgot I dialed down my charging to 24A from 32A. Im getting around 38km per hour so one should get 50km+ per hour.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9858 posts
3162 upvotes
TerenceWong wrote: Hi All,

I am planning to get a Tesla Model 3 SR+ that I can take advantage of the rebate before any changes after the election. This will totally replacing my ICE car and become the only car for the family; therefore I do have some questions for the charging method as I am a newbie for EV.

I rarely do any long travel. Commute would be within GTA. Daily commute would be within 200km.

Does any of you get the Tesla Charge Station wall connector (https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/si ... -connector) for your Model 3?
How fast would it take to charge your Model 3?
What is the cost for the setup please?

I heard that you can also install just the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket with the Mobile connector that come with ( https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/ge ... tor-bundle) and adding the NEMA 14-50 plug.
Anyone is using this method?
What is the charging time for the full charge please? (I did the calculation and it should be from 8 to 12 hours but I would like to know the real world data please)
What is the cost to set up the 240 volt / 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket please (my house is equipped to 200AMP already)?

In addition, any recommendation please?

Thanks in advance.

Terence
Curious what kind of promotions are on with the Model 3. Has the 2 year free super charging ended with the 3rd quarter end. What about the free upgrades or were they totally pulled back. On the fence here.
What's really holding me back is the addtionals like the Winter tires ($2000) and running the electrical etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
Messerschmitt wrote: What about on a 125A panel? Could I get 32A? Or 24A?
It depends on what else is in the house. Get an electrician for a quote that will also do a load calculation. The important part is to install a 240V socket. Depending on what breaker will be allowed there are multiple sockets that would work:
50A breaker -> NEMA 14-50
30A breaker -> NEMA 14-30
Being able to install a 240V socket is already a big win vs. being stuck with a 120V socket. So, even if it's at lower amps, like on a 30A breaker (the charging will be limited to 24A), it will still be good enough for overnight charging.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3844 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: It depends on what else is in the house. Get an electrician for a quote that will also do a load calculation. The important part is to install a 240V socket. Depending on what breaker will be allowed there are multiple sockets that would work:
50A breaker -> NEMA 14-50
30A breaker -> NEMA 14-30
Being able to install a 240V socket is already a big win vs. being stuck with a 120V socket. So, even if it's at lower amps, like on a 30A breaker (the charging will be limited to 24A), it will still be good enough for overnight charging.
I have a 240 socket for my dryer. House is 2005. But I assume you meaning for the electrician to install another 240 in the garage.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
Messerschmitt wrote: I have a 240 socket for my dryer. House is 2005. But I assume you meaning for the electrician to install another 240 in the garage.
oh, I thought you are asking which socket you are able to install with a 125A panel. Was that the question?
Is the dryer socket you mentioned already in the garage?
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3844 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: oh, I thought you are asking which socket you are able to install with a 125A panel. Was that the question?
Is the dryer socket you mentioned already in the garage?
Close to, but it's used by the dryer. Hence I think I need to install another one no? And I think that's where the fancy looking charger connects to.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
Messerschmitt wrote: Close to, but it's used by the dryer. Hence I think I need to install another one no? And I think that's where the fancy looking charger connects to.
Yeah, if it's already used for the dryer just leave it be and install a new dedicated cable and receptacle for an EV. And if the panel doesn't allow a 50A breaker, then go for 30A, because charging at 24A is still good enough and will fill up the battery overnight.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
36 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks a lot and that's my plan too in order for cost savings. Just curious with that set up how long will it take for a full charge please? TIA
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
36 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks for the information. Since my wife would be the one drive most, yes I take TTC to work, I am planning to get a good set of Winter tire. There is a group buy of TM3 Winter tire in RFD that I'm planning to join.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
36 posts
15 upvotes
AFAIK, all of the incentives were gone as of October. The only one left is the government $5000 and since I'm in Toronto, that's the most that I can get. TM3 was not on my list initially as the price is out of my budget. However after I did a detail calculation of TCO, it becomes very attractive as I'm currently driving a 3.5 V6 AWD with pretty high daily commute.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
TerenceWong wrote: Thanks a lot and that's my plan too in order for cost savings. Just curious with that set up how long will it take for a full charge please? TIA
It depends on how low the battery will be in the evening? At 32A, it's about 50 km every hour. In percentage, I would estimate about 13% every hour of charging.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
1407 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We installed a 30A socket (10-30) and charge our Tesla at 24A continuous overnight for the past 4 years with no issue.
Car can be pre-heated using this 24A.
A 50A capable socket is much more expensive to install.
As others mentioned, most Model 3 cannot charge at 40A anyway, so 24A continuous is fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16122 posts
14117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
When we had the volt I ran a dedicated line to the garage with a 30amp breaker, but the level 2 charger is hard wired and I’ve been too lazy to wire in a NEMA socket to use the mobile charger which would be slightly faster than the max the current J1112 can handle at 20amps.

Even at 20amp it’s charging at 30km/h which is decent and way faster than the old volt charged at.

Top