Wheels and Tires

Tesla Model 3 winter tire package

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2023 12:20 am
Jan 25, 2008
50 posts
22 upvotes

Tesla Model 3 winter tire package

Have a new Model 3 SR on order and expected to have delivery end-November.

Since this is right on time for winter tire season, I am curious to know your recommendations and experience. So far based on my research, I am thinking of this package without TPMS:

Replika - R187 - Gris GunMetal - 18", 5 x 114.3:
https://pmctire.com/fr/wheels/replika-w ... rt-35.tire

PIRELLI - WINTER ICE ZERO FR:
https://pmctire.com/fr/tires/pirelli/wi ... l-98h.tire

What does everyone think? Any suggestions? Am I making a mistake by ordering without TPMS sensors?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Why do you have to disclose you have a Tesla? Does Tesla need special tires and special rims?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Ev vehicles need aero dynamics wheel to reduce drag and to be more efficient Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Ev vehicles need aero dynamics wheel to reduce drag and to be more efficient Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Yes. Especially doing road trips. One lady was stuck with 20% charge due to a road block on the highway. Ended up paying for a hotel in the middle of the trip so she cold charge. It’s about 11-12 hrs drive usually. Not to mention all that anxiety in the process.

To answer OP. You will get a TPMS error on your screen. Not the end of the world. Just make sure you check your tire pressure frequently.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
Have you considered Nokian Hakkapeliitta's?
Seems to be a popular choice amongst Tesla owners.

Any reason why you don't want TPMS sensors? If you don't you'll continuously get an annoying popup on the screen.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
The TPMS are over $400 not cheap.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
kkkat wrote: The TPMS are over $400 not cheap.
One can afford at +$50k vehicle but can't afford $400?.....um....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6078 upvotes
Oakville, ON
booblehead wrote: Ev vehicles need aero dynamics wheel to reduce drag and to be more efficient Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
+ lowest of low rolling resistance tires….
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6078 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kkkat wrote: The TPMS are over $400 not cheap.
You don’t need to get OEM sensors. A good tire and wheel shop will be able to supply and install aftermarket sensors for a lot less than $400
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: You don’t need to get OEM sensors. A good tire and wheel shop will be able to supply and install aftermarket sensors for a lot less than $400
No aftermarket Bluetooth sensors yet. Have to use Tesla ones for now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
mtlShopper wrote: Have a new Model 3 SR on order and expected to have delivery end-November.

Since this is right on time for winter tire season, I am curious to know your recommendations and experience. So far based on my research, I am thinking of this package without TPMS:

Replika - R187 - Gris GunMetal - 18", 5 x 114.3:
https://pmctire.com/fr/wheels/replika-w ... rt-35.tire

PIRELLI - WINTER ICE ZERO FR:
https://pmctire.com/fr/tires/pirelli/wi ... l-98h.tire

What does everyone think? Any suggestions? Am I making a mistake by ordering without TPMS sensors?
Check out the fb M3 owners group — there’s a guy that works at one of the distributors and can get you pretty good pricing on rims + tires.

I ordered the R187 + Continental Viking 7 through him. Shipped within 3 days; now waiting to get them installed. Will switch the aero wheels to the snow tires and use the R187 + oems for summer
💡😃😂😄
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
BDSL wrote: One can afford at +$50k vehicle but can't afford $400?.....um....
Depends if the user sees any value in it. I wouldn’t pay anything for something that’s useless to me. Wouldn’t matter how much money I had.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
Since it looks like you live in the Montreal area, give these a guys a call. The R241 are better wheels. I bought Michelin X-Ice3 but the Pirellis are OK too.

https://www.handlerwheels.com/

PCM Winter Tire ratings
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6078 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kkkat wrote: No aftermarket Bluetooth sensors yet. Have to use Tesla ones for now.
I didn’t realize they switched over to using Bluetooth in 2021. Generics worked fine previously.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
kkkat wrote: Depends if the user sees any value in it. I wouldn’t pay anything for something that’s useless to me. Wouldn’t matter how much money I had.
Tire pressure is very important. It impacts performance and safety.
It is even more important these days when drivers don't check anything and rely strictly on sensors....
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11295 posts
6294 upvotes
Ontario
BDSL wrote: Why do you have to disclose you have a Tesla? Does Tesla need special tires and special rims?
Why not? Makes advice easier from similar car owner. Also Ev, so green tires preferred for range.

Why are you so sensitive about Tesla being mentioned?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
BDSL wrote: Tire pressure is very important. It impacts performance and safety.
It is even more important these days when drivers don't check anything and rely strictly on sensors....
That’s your opinion. We don’t know if OP pulls out a pressure stick and checks his tires frequently. Or he can feel the slightest pressure change in his tires. Just let him be.
I get my sensors but I can see why some people think they are useless.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
charliebrown wrote: Check out the fb M3 owners group — there’s a guy that works at one of the distributors and can get you pretty good pricing on rims + tires.

I ordered the R187 + Continental Viking 7 through him. Shipped within 3 days; now waiting to get them installed. Will switch the aero wheels to the snow tires and use the R187 + oems for summer
Got a link?
kkkat wrote: That’s your opinion. We don’t know if OP pulls out a pressure stick and checks his tires frequently. Or he can feel the slightest pressure change in his tires. Just let him be.
I get my sensors but I can see why some people think they are useless.
Normally I would agree with you, but with no spare tire or run flats there is an increased risk of being stranded.

Can't check pressure while driving. A slow leak could lead to your damage and blowout. I carry your plug kit in all of my cars, so I could fix a small leak on the road.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Great rims that's what I got along with the Nokian unpronounceables.

Switch your stock rims over to your winter tires; that way you scan still use the aerodynamic rims in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote: Why not? Makes advice easier from similar car owner. Also Ev, so green tires preferred for range.

Why are you so sensitive about Tesla being mentioned?
Him and Kevin (who has finally been temp banned) loved nothing more than to crap on them at every opportunity.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)