Tesla model Y

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 4:41 pm
Tags:
Jan 29, 2017
345 posts
178 upvotes

Tesla model Y

Today, Thursday March 15th at 8pm PST Tesla is revealing their 'entry level SUV, the model Y.

Elon has said it will be about 10% bigger than the 3, get 10% less mileage, and cost 10% more.

anyone excited? hopefully they release a base model within a couple years.

Thread Summary
live stream starts at 8pm PDT: https://livestream.tesla.com/
229 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stagefright wrote: Today, Thursday March 15th at 8pm PST Tesla is revealing their 'entry level SUV, the model Y.

Elon has said it will be about 10% bigger than the 3, get 10% less mileage, and cost 10% more.

anyone excited? hopefully they release a base model within a couple years.

So it’s going to be worse in every way and people are excited? What a strange world we live in.
Last edited by EP32k2 on Mar 14th, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
10, 10, 10...I'm sold!
Jan 29, 2017
345 posts
178 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: So it’s going to be worse in every way and people are excited? What a strange world we live in.
comparing a SUV to a car... what do you expect ?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
This is good news and hopefully there won't be a long wait. Bring on the Model Z Mr. Musk!

I'm almost certain to go for either the A3 BEV variant or the Q4 e-tron if there will be no good Toyota/Honda BEV offering but I will decide base on range and pricing. Don't really mind a sedan, hatch, or CUV as long as it meets my driving range requirement and forecast-ed reliability.

Maybe the Y will be bullet-proof, I will pick one up no matter how ugly it may look besides the S. The X looks like an egg/capsule and isn't even pretty.
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: This is good news and hopefully there won't be a long wait. Bring on the Model Z Mr. Musk!

I'm almost certain to go for either the A3 BEV variant or the Q4 e-tron if there will be no good Toyota/Honda BEV offering but I will decide base on range and pricing. Don't really mind a sedan, hatch, or CUV as long as it meets my driving range requirement and forecast-ed reliability.

Maybe the Y will be bullet-proof, I will pick one up no matter how ugly it may look besides the S. The X looks like an egg/capsule and isn't even pretty.
+1 for Q4 e-tron
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Ecsta wrote: I'm excited, curious how it compares to the other electric SUV's. Hopefully the interior is 100% nicer though.

But... no one owns the Model Y yet? lol
That was the original thread to discuss all 4 Tesla models so it makes sense.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Sep 25, 2015
600 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sandini_power wrote: +1 for Q4 e-tron
My concern will be whether the Q4 etron has an active battery management system (liquid cooling). I think the VW egolf is passive battery management (air cooled).

Does anyone know if there is a site somewhere that lists whether certain electric cars use a passive battery management vs active battery management? It can be difficult trying to find this information for every car, especially if things change from one model year to the next.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: My concern will be whether the Q4 etron has an active battery management system (liquid cooling). I think the VW egolf is passive battery management (air cooled).

Does anyone know if there is a site somewhere that lists whether certain electric cars use a passive battery management vs active battery management? It can be difficult trying to find this information for every car, especially if things change from one model year to the next.
You think VW/Audi will not put a TMS on a $65=k vehicle coming out in 2020 because it didn't on a $40k vehicle that was designed a few years ago?

Most important question is what is MB doing with the EQC and EQA, is it skipping TMS? How about Volvo and BMW? I think it's more what luxury competitors will be offering and not what VW designed before.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Mar 14th, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2016
1158 posts
655 upvotes
stagefright wrote: Today, Thursday March 15th at 8pm PST Tesla is revealing their 'entry level SUV, the model Y.
Today is Thursday March 14th....Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
I'm pretty curious / interested / excited to see the reveal. We currently have a BEV i3 and a PHEV Pacifica and my plan long term was to replace the PHEV with the Model Y (depending on features, price, etc of course).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Is Elon planning to cannibalize the model X?
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Is Elon planning to cannibalize the model X?
I think there will still be ppl who will go for the X...u know ppl who want that status and to show that I got Tesla X money, those type of ppl lol
Last edited by sandini_power on Mar 14th, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stagefright wrote: comparing a SUV to a car... what do you expect ?
Do you know what the definition of a SUV is?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: Is Elon planning to cannibalize the model X?
#1 goal for Tesla is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. Apple is not afraid of iPhone cannibalizing iPod sales and it worked really well for them. Model S sales didn't collapse after Model 3 becomes available anyway.

That being said, Y doesn't have the falcon wing doors nor does it have 3 row seating. There is enough differentiation between X and Y, just like Q7 is different from Q3.