Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:41 pm
Sep 30, 2007
446 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
lobo wrote: Anyone noticing a bit more battery recently when the car is idle/sleeping? I lost 5% in 24 hours with the car basically just sitting in the garage. I wasn't checking it with the app but I do run Teslamate but that shouldn't be waking the car up and I've been running that for six months and didn't experience this kind of loss before. Could it be because of the colder weather and the car is doing "something" which uses up some battery?
+1, with sentry on 24x7. It used to be 8-9% a day 2 years ago, then became 7%-ish after a year... now we're at 5
Jul 30, 2010
231 posts
165 upvotes
Terrebonne
Mobile service will be here friday to check my charging door. Model 3 2020
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
not impressed so far...I was originally supposed to get the car on 14th, got pushed to 21st, then 29th, now I'm being told 30th. Part still hasn't arrived, I guess they're hoping it'll get here by Friday and they can give it to me on 30th.

guess ill still be driving this turd kia forte for now :(.
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
p110232 wrote: +1, with sentry on 24x7. It used to be 8-9% a day 2 years ago, then became 7%-ish after a year... now we're at 5
No that's not it. It's parked at home and I don't have sentry mode enabled when at home.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
2020 Model Y. Issue with heatpump (heat stopped working at -13c on my way to work). Booked an appointment @ Tesla Montreal. Car got in this morning at 9:00AM, they gave me a LR RWD Model 3 loaner with free supercharging.

They texted me at 2:00PM, car is repaired (they changed a sensor). Got there at 3:00PM, took less than 5 mins I was out in my car, which they had time to wash as well. Excellent service. Couldnt ask for more.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
Latitude57 wrote: 2020 Model Y. Issue with heatpump (heat stopped working at -13c on my way to work). Booked an appointment @ Tesla Montreal. Car got in this morning at 9:00AM, they gave me a LR RWD Model 3 loaner with free supercharging.

They texted me at 2:00PM, car is repaired (they changed a sensor). Got there at 3:00PM, took less than 5 mins I was out in my car, which they had time to wash as well. Excellent service. Couldnt ask for more.
While I'd rather not have to deal with issues...i am very glad i don't have to deal with the typical car stealerships.

All my experiences at Service Centers have been positive so far and have never been pressured into paying for things I don't need. In fact i actually popped by one of the Service Centers hoping to get wheel caps (which are like $65 on website), but they just decided to give them to me for free because they had extra's laying around that were not 'accounted for'.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Latitude57 wrote: 2020 Model Y. Issue with heatpump (heat stopped working at -13c on my way to work). Booked an appointment @ Tesla Montreal. Car got in this morning at 9:00AM, they gave me a LR RWD Model 3 loaner with free supercharging.

Never had any issues with Tesla service, always have been great (other than difficulty contacting the Kitchener service centre before they had phones).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Never had any issues with Tesla service, always have been great (other than difficulty contacting the Kitchener service centre before they had phones).
Indeed... excellent service.

I was amazed when they told me they pay for supercharging and if they dont have a Tesla loaner, they pay for your fuel as well ! Amazing
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
jono454 wrote: While I'd rather not have to deal with issues...i am very glad i don't have to deal with the typical car stealerships.

All my experiences at Service Centers have been positive so far and have never been pressured into paying for things I don't need. In fact i actually popped by one of the Service Centers hoping to get wheel caps (which are like $65 on website), but they just decided to give them to me for free because they had extra's laying around that were not 'accounted for'.
Me too ! I hate conventional dealerships. Such a refreshing experience !
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Latitude57 wrote: Indeed... excellent service.

I was amazed when they told me they pay for supercharging and if they dont have a Tesla loaner, they pay for your fuel as well ! Amazing
Quite a bit different then when BMW needed my car for warranty repairs for a few days and told me they don't do loaners and were unwilling to shuttle me home. They told me I could rent a car from them if I needed transportation back to my house.

Keep in mind that this was for WARRANTY repairs (they made a lousy product that had issues)
May 7, 2015
951 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Question for you owners.

Is it possible to plug in your car and have the car charge only when I want it to. Eg when TOU billing is cheapest.

Is it possible to set the max charge level? Eg charge to 80% then stop charging or something to that effect?

I’m a pretty lazy guy.

I wana come home from work on days I want it to charge, plug it in and not worry about it charging immediately, only when rates are lower. I don’t want to have to remember to go out and plug it in at specific times I want to set it and forget it sort of speak.

Second use case : I hear there are best charging practices, I haven’t don’t too much research as I don’t have my car yet, BUT from the light reading I do I hear it’s best to charge to 80% routinely not 100%. So there fore I was wondering if we can somehow configure the charger or the car to allow for this to happen without me having to come and unplug the car.

Let me know if any of these are out of the box configs I can set. Or will I have to get a lil creative and introduce some smart home mechanics for these scenarios
Dec 28, 2004
206 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Question for you owners.

Is it possible to plug in your car and have the car charge only when I want it to. Eg when TOU billing is cheapest.

Is it possible to set the max charge level? Eg charge to 80% then stop charging or something to that effect?

I’m a pretty lazy guy.

I wana come home from work on days I want it to charge, plug it in and not worry about it charging immediately, only when rates are lower. I don’t want to have to remember to go out and plug it in at specific times I want to set it and forget it sort of speak.

Second use case : I hear there are best charging practices, I haven’t don’t too much research as I don’t have my car yet, BUT from the light reading I do I hear it’s best to charge to 80% routinely not 100%. So there fore I was wondering if we can somehow configure the charger or the car to allow for this to happen without me having to come and unplug the car.

Let me know if any of these are out of the box configs I can set. Or will I have to get a lil creative and introduce some smart home mechanics for these scenarios
Short answer is yes to both questions.

In the car charger settings you can set the maximum you want it to charge to (80%) you can also set a charge schedule to only charge at a certain time using the scheduled departure settings.
May 7, 2015
951 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Red89GT wrote: Short answer is yes to both questions.

In the car charger settings you can set the maximum you want it to charge to (80%) you can also set a charge schedule to only charge at a certain time using the scheduled departure settings.
Thank you so much. Placed my order yesterday. I’m so excited, I know Tesla is having some investors meeting where they might introduce a new model s or x . Excited to see what happens , I may need to change my order lol
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Thank you so much. Placed my order yesterday. I’m so excited, I know Tesla is having some investors meeting where they might introduce a new model s or x . Excited to see what happens , I may need to change my order lol
Model S/X refresh may be announced this afternoon in the Q4 earnings report.
May 7, 2015
951 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
b166er1337 wrote: Model S/X refresh may be announced this afternoon in the Q4 earnings report.
That’s right. Been watching the rouble mill since yesterday. It had some spy shots that make me believe there aren’t too drastic changes coming to model s exterior, if any. Plaid will likely be shown and have some changes to the exterior. No real news on the model x. There might be a horizontal screen (which I’m not a fan of)

I know these rumours all should be taken with a grain of salt . But still

Does anyone know if it will be streamed the q4 earnings?
Sep 30, 2007
446 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Does anyone know if it will be streamed the q4 earnings?
It will be live-streamed by a few YouTube channels that follow Tesla. Earnings call are usually audio only so the channel hosts may bring up the handouts on-screen.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12736 posts
6257 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Thanks. Good to know, this was near a newly built exit near Brock Street In Whitby, and there is still some work in progress there.
Did a test today, made sure no one was behind me and was ready to press the accelerator, it happened again near the same Brock street exit. So this situation has to do with the maps not being updated it seems.

When driving in the morning and the sun shining, I noticed a message something like "Right Door pillar camera blocked or reduced visibility" . Normal in blinding sun?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2019
1332 posts
973 upvotes

sorry but had to say that I love the quote in your sig
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Did a test today, made sure no one was behind me and was ready to press the accelerator, it happened again near the same Brock street exit. So this situation has to do with the maps not being updated it seems.

When driving in the morning and the sun shining, I noticed a message something like "Right Door pillar camera blocked or reduced visibility" . Normal in blinding sun?
Yeah that's pretty normal. Was driving couple of weeks ago in the late afternoon with the sun low to the west. Was heading southbound and entire trip I got the right pillar camera blinded or reduced visibility error. Then when I headed back north, the error was for the left pillar camera.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
Holy crap the new S interior look so sick.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

joey003