Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2021 12:38 am
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15924 posts
13773 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SmartElectric wrote: Sure... Tesla 3 Performance is a full second faster in acceleration to 100 km/h, track tested to be faster than the M3 by Top Gear ... and you're here to tell us how the Tesla isn't comparable for interior, well OK, but the BMW is not comparable for performance, find something truly up to the level of the Tesla acceleration and track mode technical capability with fully adjustable drivetrain, then compare the price. I'll wait...
Dude what are you arguing? I have a Model 3 Performance...
I strictly said interior. Where did I say anything about comparing performance? Go back and quote everything I said and start your argument instead of selecting tidbits.
Jul 12, 2018
363 posts
246 upvotes
Just wondering if these will fit model y tires that comes standard with model Y SR on gemini rims ...website

Specs:
Wheel Diameter: 19 in.
Wheel Width: 8.5 in.
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 112
Offset: +45 mm
Center Bore: 66.5
Wheel Load: 1522 lbs.
Wheel Color: Black
Wheel Finish: Matte
Wheel Material: Aluminum
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1453 posts
1474 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: I agree. The materials used in the interior are no doubt better than an econo car. But it’s also not luxurious.
LOL. 20 years ago this interior was the benchmark for the rest of the industry.
It had a cassette player, if you haven't noticed it.

And everyone was content with paying C$65k. for it.
2017 electric Ford Focus for sale, $14,500. 58,170 km, leather, tinted windows, 2 sets of tires.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2248 posts
637 upvotes
Maple
so, in anticipation for the cybertruck I will need to upgrade the panel in my home to 200A.

I will also have the electrician prep the garage for a charger as well.

my question is what is my BEST option? should I just run a conduit so I can pull wires when needed? or get a plug of some sort installed? what is the highest amp plug that can be used? or is hard wired best? I am a bit overwhelmed when it comes to options with this.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21110 posts
3153 upvotes
Niagara Falls
corcoran_chris wrote: so, in anticipation for the cybertruck I will need to upgrade the panel in my home to 200A.

my question is what is my BEST option? should I just run a conduit so I can pull wires when needed? or get a plug of some sort installed? what is the highest amp plug that can be used? or is hard wired best? I am a bit overwhelmed when it comes to options with this.

Thanks
First, do you actually need 200A service? I'm always kind of surprised when people say this, but if you do, so be it.

Second, best option is to run a sub panel in your garage so that you have options for the future incase you'd like to add extra plugs or possible a second car charger.

Doing a quick Google, it says if you use Tesla's wall charger you can us upto 48 amps, if you just use a 14-50 plug and the mobile adapter you're maxed out at 32 amps.

With that in mind I'd either go with an 80A or 60A sub panel unless you plan on doing something more serious in the garage in the future while you're charging your vehicle at max pull.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26363 posts
3403 upvotes
Montreal
xrvr wrote: LOL. 20 years ago this interior was the benchmark for the rest of the industry.
It had a cassette player, if you haven't noticed it.

And everyone was content with paying C$65k. for it.
Man I miss that gated shifter. HAd LExus with that style of shifter.
Jul 30, 2015
773 posts
713 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Dude what are you arguing? I have a Model 3 Performance...
I strictly said interior. Where did I say anything about comparing performance? Go back and quote everything I said and start your argument instead of selecting tidbits.
As a owner of a Model Y, I agree, the interior itself is minimalistic and the doors, for example, doesnt feel as ''solid'' as a german car but to be honest I like it and can live with it. I used to drive a Range Rover Sport (and a Mercedes GLE before) so I think I can compare. It still feel and look premium for me. It's the price to pay if you want a fun to drive, tech EV car.

What I miss most is the quieter cabin from european brands AND the adaptive air suspension lol.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2248 posts
637 upvotes
Maple
Evil Baby wrote: First, do you actually need 200A service? I'm always kind of surprised when people say this, but if you do, so be it.

Second, best option is to run a sub panel in your garage so that you have options for the future incase you'd like to add extra plugs or possible a second car charger.

Doing a quick Google, it says if you use Tesla's wall charger you can us upto 48 amps, if you just use a 14-50 plug and the mobile adapter you're maxed out at 32 amps.

With that in mind I'd either go with an 80A or 60A sub panel unless you plan on doing something more serious in the garage in the future while you're charging your vehicle at max pull.

I would imagine I would since I have a hot tub on a 60amp breaker already in my 100 amp panel.
Apr 5, 2017
884 posts
643 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I honestly don't give a damn about the interior. The more simple the better. Tesla's luxury lies in its tech. And user friendliness. And things that make you wonder where its been all your life like controlling HVAC from your phone - you won't find that nearly as well integrated in anything else. Well now you will due to competition that took long enough to catch up.

I get in to every single vehicle GM including Cadillac has, and facepalm at the amount of buttons, the absolutely stupid arrangements, and buttons that are touch but are also buttons...but you touch them...and they absolutely suck in winter. Buttons are often unresponsive until "oh yeah, you pressed me, I guess I will do what you want".

The Tesla touchscreens have been the best in the business since the first Model S' in 2012. I remember the first time getting in one. Pretty much had me. Everything else was so 2005 by comparison. I actually preferred 2005 for still having the simple, functional interiors and not trying to reinvent the wheel so many times like I see GM and Ford doing with some of their crap. Who the hell needs a console slide shifter to fold down flush with the cupholders...like why? Why am I selecting gears like it's a microwave or other household appliance. The Mercedes stalk shifter in the Tesla I really liked. Mercedes is my favourite luxury brand. BMW to me nowadays is just a cheap made in Mexico knock off that still does dumb crap like cooling systems / water pumps made out of plastic.

Lexus drives me mad as well. Its operation in a nutshell is Bop it, spin it, twist it, pull it...some of the things are just maddening to the point I couldn't buy a modern Lexus. Touch screens are dog crap in almost every Japanese vehicle I've tried. Legacy car manufacturers need all the help they can get with tech. And now they are being choked out due to chip shortages.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21110 posts
3153 upvotes
Niagara Falls
corcoran_chris wrote: I would imagine I would since I have a hot tub on a 60amp breaker already in my 100 amp panel.
Fair enough. I have 2 60 amp sub panels and I think a 40 in my shed but they never draw near that and they're never being used at the same time. Hot tubs appear to be a different beast. I'm not sure how often they draw close to their max load, but I'd guess it's enough that if you were charging your car at the same time, 100A service wouldn't be enough.

Like I said, you could put an 80A sub panel in the garage, that way if you do get the official Tesla charger you have no issues doing the max pull of 48 Amps and you still have plenty left over for additional plugs in the garage if you'd like. You could probably get away with a 60 amp sub panel as well if you're not really planning on adding any other electrical in the garage.

A sub panel isn't required but for the extra $80 - $150 it's well worth it imo. Once you have a sub panel in the garage, any additional electrical work is much easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3101 posts
1843 upvotes
Pothole city
tehwegz wrote: I honestly don't give a damn about the interior. The more simple the better. Tesla's luxury lies in its tech. And user friendliness. And things that make you wonder where its been all your life like controlling HVAC from your phone - you won't find that nearly as well integrated in anything else. Well now you will due to competition that took long enough to catch up.

I get in to every single vehicle GM including Cadillac has, and facepalm at the amount of buttons, the absolutely stupid arrangements, and buttons that are touch but are also buttons...but you touch them...and they absolutely suck in winter. Buttons are often unresponsive until "oh yeah, you pressed me, I guess I will do what you want".

The Tesla touchscreens have been the best in the business since the first Model S' in 2012. I remember the first time getting in one. Pretty much had me. Everything else was so 2005 by comparison. I actually preferred 2005 for still having the simple, functional interiors and not trying to reinvent the wheel so many times like I see GM and Ford doing with some of their crap. Who the hell needs a console slide shifter to fold down flush with the cupholders...like why? Why am I selecting gears like it's a microwave or other household appliance. The Mercedes stalk shifter in the Tesla I really liked. Mercedes is my favourite luxury brand. BMW to me nowadays is just a cheap made in Mexico knock off that still does dumb crap like cooling systems / water pumps made out of plastic.

Lexus drives me mad as well. Its operation in a nutshell is Bop it, spin it, twist it, pull it...some of the things are just maddening to the point I couldn't buy a modern Lexus. Touch screens are dog crap in almost every Japanese vehicle I've tried. Legacy car manufacturers need all the help they can get with tech. And now they are being choked out due to chip shortages.
Why can they do both? A great car with awesome tech.
It's car. Not just a tablet. Point A to B. Sometimes, when you actually drive the car, it could be a better place.
May 10, 2020
186 posts
173 upvotes
typer100 wrote: Why can they do both? A great car with awesome tech.
It's car. Not just a tablet. Point A to B. Sometimes, when you actually drive the car, it could be a better place.
Technology wise .Tesla is minimum 5 years ahead of its nearest completion .
That's what makes the car more expensive
If luxury wise they started competing with the other brands there car will be so expensive that it will get out of the reach of people like me and only over 100 k minimum.

So u can't just pay around 50 to 60 and want tesla to give u the interior like other gas car manufacturers. They have to cut corners somewhere to keep it in the price range. And I am totally ok with it .there interior is nice and people buy tesla for there technology.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26363 posts
3403 upvotes
Montreal
typer100 wrote: Why can they do both?
They lack the expertise. The reason they lack the expertise is that management does not view it as priority goal. It is what it is.

Watch sandy Munro's videos on youtube.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2637 posts
576 upvotes
noobsrus wrote: Technology wise .Tesla is minimum 5 years ahead of its nearest completion .
If luxury wise they started competing with the other brands there car will be so expensive that it will get out of the reach of people like me and only over 100 k minimum.

So u can't just pay around 50 to 60 and want tesla to give u the interior like other gas car manufacturers. They have to cut corners somewhere to keep it in the price range. And I am totally ok with it .there interior is nice and people buy tesla for there technology.
I will agree to disagree on this one, unless you are only considering the battery. IMHO the rest of Tesla tech may be a bit ahead, but well less than 5 years, I see Elon/Tesla as a maverick in the industry, letting people beta test tech for him so that they can 'learn' and collect a ton of data, and an unfortunate side effect is that there will be the occasional death...

There are a lot of 'tech' players that are active in the industry (e.g. Waymo/Google, Uber, Lyft, even NVIDIA), they just don't sell cars, and instead will be selling services that use cars (Mobility as a Service - MaaS).
Last edited by knapper on Feb 12th, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2020
186 posts
173 upvotes
knapper wrote: I will agree to disagree on this one, unless you are only considering the battery. IMHO the rest of Tesla tech may be a bit ahead, but well less than 5 years, I see Elon/Tesla as a maverick in the industry, letting people beta test tech for him so that they can 'learn' and collect a ton of data, and an unfortunate side effect is that there will be the occasional death...
I would not compare tech of a ev to gas cars ...it's comparing Apple to Apple...so I am comparing ev to ev ...we have an audi etron in family as well and since it's interior is far more nicer than tesla but tech is not even close to what tesla have

When u compare tech .Tesla have put ut out tested whats working whats not for there ev .other companies are now putting it out .they still have to get tested whats working whats not and than make improvements .that's min 5 year gap
Last edited by noobsrus on Feb 12th, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7755 posts
5744 upvotes
Kitchener
corcoran_chris wrote: so, in anticipation for the cybertruck I will need to upgrade the panel in my home to 200A.

Thanks
I'm currently running a 125A panel with a hot tub, dryer, induction stove, induction hotplate, 2 convection ovens, 3 fridges and a 40A plug (with 60A wire for future upgrades) for a 32A Chargepoint Home. I have a 2nd 60A wire run but have not hooked up to the Tesla Wall Connector yet. I'm doing a 200A panel upgrade in the spring.

You're pushing it at 100A......but I think it's doable without actually upgrading your panel (it's going to be tight for power requirements).

My Tesla Cybertruck Wall Connector recommendation:
60A wire - 6/3 I believe?
60A breaker
HARDWIRED for 48A charging
V3 Wall Connector
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3101 posts
1843 upvotes
Pothole city
noobsrus wrote: Technology wise .Tesla is minimum 5 years ahead of its nearest completion .

If you take the SC network away... And compare with a Ford offer in the MAch-E, what is so different tech wise? Last time I've checked it's still written BETA everywhere in the AP and FSD option. You have to acknowledge/agree to the disclaimer to select it.
They were first. They are not alone now.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3101 posts
1843 upvotes
Pothole city
mr_raider wrote: They lack the expertise. The reason they lack the expertise is that management does not view it as priority goal. It is what it is.

Watch sandy Munro's videos on youtube.
I don't have to watch it. I own a Tesla. It's obvious that they have the brain power to build great stuff and have the money to hire the right people.
So if they cared, they could improve the car part. Instead, they show me recycle bins and make the car fart.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2637 posts
576 upvotes
noobsrus wrote: I would not compare tech of a ev to gas cars ...it's comparing Apple to Apple...so I am comparing ev to ev ...we have an audi etron in family as well and since it's interior is far more nicer than tesla but tech is not even close to what tesla have

When u compare tech .Tesla have put ut out tested whats working whats not for there ev .other companies are now putting it out .they still have to get tested whats working whats not and than make improvements .that's min 5 year gap
The only tech that needs to be different between an EV and an ICE is essentially the battery, so I am not sure why you shouldn't compare. That said, I was not comparing to ICE. What tech are you referring to when you say Tesla is 5 years ahead of Audi? If it is AP/FSD, please be aware that Audi debuted 'Traffic Jam Pilot', which provides Level 3 capability, in their European A8 a couple of years ago. They chose not to make Traffic Jam Pilot available in North America referring to needs for regulatory framework and saying the market/infrastructure were not ready.

I will go back to my maverick comment about Tesla/Elon, just because others are not making automated driving features/capability available in production vehicles don't think they are not capable. Traditional OEMs, like Audi/Volkswagen, have a lot more to lose from the occasional death than does Tesla. Also, truly autonomous driving is not legal in Canada or the US and will not be for some time. Tesla is skirting the rules and leaving liability with the driver.

If you compare to other tech companies in the area of automated driving, they are right there. Do you believe Waymo/Google can not keep up with Tesla? They just don't sell cars, they are keeping to robotaxis with an attendant onboard - this is the same as AP/FSD.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2637 posts
576 upvotes
typer100 wrote: If you take the SC network away... And compare with a Ford offer in the MAch-E, what is so different tech wise? Last time I've checked it's still written BETA everywhere in the AP and FSD option. You have to acknowledge/agree to the disclaimer to select it.
They were first. They are not alone now.
typer100 wrote: I don't have to watch it. I own a Tesla. It's obvious that they have the brain power to build great stuff and have the money to hire the right people.
So if they cared, they could improve the car part. Instead, they show me recycle bins and make the car fart.
Totally agree, and the recycling bin comment is why I think many believe Tesla is ahead. The use of the screen to show what it is sensing is impressive - fairly accurately detecting and classifying vehicles (i.e. SUV looks like an SUV, truck looks like a truck) and traffic cones on or near the road. But others, like Ford in the MACH-E, are doing similar in the background.

Also, Tesla's liberal use of Over the Air updates impresses a lot of people, but that isn't rocket science - its software and anyone can do it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)