Tesla's Next Car Could Be Significantly Cheaper Than the Model 3

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2022 11:33 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

Tesla's Next Car Could Be Significantly Cheaper Than the Model 3

If AWD version starts below $55K, it really could be another winner in Canada's inclement winter weather, with all other EVs wait time typically longer than six months, to years out.

Elon Musk said in the company's earnings call that this smaller "next-generation vehicle" could eventually outsell all other Tesla models combined.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4172 ... ure-plans/

• Elon Musk claimed that Tesla is working on a "next-generation vehicle" that will be smaller and cheaper than the Model 3 and Model Y.
  • The comments came during the company's Q3 earnings call; no specific timeline was given.
  • The aim is to significantly reduce production costs and drastically increase output of this new model, which Musk claims will outsell all other Tesla models combined.
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk makes a lot of claims, but his latest assertion is particularly enticing. During the company's Q3 earnings call and Q&A session, Musk discussed the next big thing on the horizon, a new platform that will spawn a "next-generation vehicle" that will be smaller and significantly cheaper than the current Model 3 and Model Y.
190 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My gut reaction is he's trying to pump his Tesla stock to pay for twitter?

Believe it when I see it. I don't think they ever (really) released the low priced model 3 he promised in any volume.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2022
1118 posts
1660 upvotes
Gta
Seeing as the Model 3 starts at $60K Canadian, thread title seems believable.

If it ever makes it to production…..
<censored>
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Meh no point. Won't have torque vectoring, solid state batteries or lifetime warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
I don't trust what he says given his track record....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10803 upvotes
Canada
Yes, it will be a crappier car that costs the same as the Model 3 did two years ago. Unsurprising
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
At $45K with AWD and 200 km winter range, I will be a Tesla convert haha though I won't be joining the cult.

No need for TVD or better battery. Just going to be my daily driver to work.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote: Meh no point. Won't have torque vectoring, solid state batteries or lifetime warranty.
No, Right to Repair :(
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: No, Right to Repair :(
You probably don’t get the joke.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Another quality alanbrenton thread about a car he can only dream of buying.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: all other EVs wait time typically longer than six months, to years out.
Cybertruck reservations started 2 years 11 months ago, with earliest deliveries to employees and VIPs starting (supposedly) in mid 2023. That will be 3.5 years after the reservations started. For general public, likely 4-5 years of waiting.

You could probably put your name down for literally any other EV right now and get it well before this cheaper Tesla model is available.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14179 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Meh no point. Won't have torque vectoring, solid state batteries or lifetime warranty.
I see what you did there.jpeg
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2022
1067 posts
1363 upvotes
I believe it but I'm kind of angry that this hasn't been in the works much earlier, even before the Cybertruck.

To me, this is a "Duh" moment. People are actually craving an affordable electric car during tough times where inflation is only getting worse where they'll be struggling to pay their bills, heat their house or put food on the table? No way!

I don't think Tesla has much of a choice, seeing that companies like GM and others are coming out with much cheaper alternatives to the M3. They're going to have to compete in the affordable electric car market space or end up losing market share.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
So what they Gonna name this thing?

They got Roadster Semi S 3 X Y CyberTruck.

Vaporware?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
golden wrote: I don't trust what he says given his track record....
Elon or OP?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2022
1067 posts
1363 upvotes
tebore wrote: So what they Gonna name this thing?

They got Roadster Semi S 3 X Y CyberTruck.

Vaporware?
Model 2 would be the most obvious but who knows...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2022
1067 posts
1363 upvotes
The goals for this new product are ambitious and far-reaching: Musk says the aim is to reduce production costs by around 50 percent compared with the Model 3 and Y and increase output so that this new model could "exceed the production of all our other vehicles combined." Given that both the Model 3 and Model Y are already among the top 20 bestselling vehicles in the U.S., that's a stratospherically high sales target.
Another idea would be to take less of a profit from this model in order to maintain market share and gain adoption onto their infrastructure. Why must they make a huge profit from the sale of each vehicle while other manufacturers like GM are taking hits and making sacrifices in order to gain adoption?

I don't think this is far reaching at all. Tesla is always streamlining their production processes and if Elon is a little less greedy, I think he could make this work.
Last edited by Huey952 on Oct 21st, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote:
No, Right to Repair :(
kkkat wrote: You probably don’t get the joke.
He does get it.

Beats EP2K harping on all his vehicles when he was the buyer / decision maker for all of them. :)

Such insecurities, need to check under the hood. :)
Last edited by alanbrenton on Oct 21st, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Huey952 wrote: Another idea would be to take less of a profit from this model in order to maintain market share and gain adoption onto their infrastructure. Why must they make a huge profit from the sale of each vehicle while other manufacturers like GM are taking hits and making sacrifices in order to gain adoption?
Probably has to seize more of those carbon credit revenues and the more EVs Tesla sells, the more other automakers will have to buy from it. Lots of them are playing lip service since ICEVs/PHEVs are still very profitable and no BEV sales quota has been set in most jurisdictions.

Need to hit the $4.4T market valuation Mr. Musk envisions. Can't wait for that day to unfold. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote: He does get it.

Beats EP2K harping on all his vehicles when he was the buyer / decision maker for all of them. :)

Such insecurities, need to check under the hood. :)
Talk is cheap and that's all you do with senseless self justifications. Who's the one that needs to check under the hood for insecurities? By the way, none of the 3 cars I own have anything under the hood except for additional storage. Nice try with the silly metaphor.