• Mar 4th, 2018 12:13 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Text message only plan

Hi,

is there a plan (prepaid or not) for text message only ? I dont want the voice mail at all. People shouldnt be able to leave a vm.

Anything like this available in Canada ?

Thanks
18 replies
Sep 13, 2015
62 posts
4 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes
Hi

There is the Koodo prepaid which is 13.50$ (15$ minus 10% for auto-renew) per month for SMS and MMS, but it includes VoiceMail, but if you don't activate it, no one will be able to leave a message.

Or there is Public Mobile which with you could get SMS and MMS only for 18$ (20$ minus 2$ for auto-renew) a month.

The choice is yours...
[OP]
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Eli2015 wrote: Hi,

is there a plan (prepaid or not) for text message only ? I dont want the voice mail at all. People shouldnt be able to leave a vm.

Anything like this available in Canada ?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

so with Koodo, people calling the number would receive a "mailbox not activated" message ? That would be perfect.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1305 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Depending on how many SMS you need, cheapest option is Speakout at as low as $25 per year (yes, per year) with free incoming SMS messages and outgoing at $0.15 each (packages available if you need a large number of outgoing SMS messages)

You might also want to check out this thread:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/creative ... #p28959275
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
[OP]
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Eli2015 wrote: Thanks for the reply,

so with Koodo, people calling the number would receive a "mailbox not activated" message ? That would be perfect.
that would be great. And if I dont configure the voicemail people wont be able to leave messages like with Koodo ?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4636 posts
2905 upvotes
LaLaLand
Eli2015 wrote: that would be great. And if I dont configure the voicemail people wont be able to leave messages like with Koodo ?
Yes, the caller will get a message similar to, "This voicemail box has not been setup". I hate VM too and never set it up. Drives some people nuts.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3483 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
You could also record a message along the lines of - "This voicemail service is not monitored. Please send an sms."
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you’re going to spend $15 per month, then the Rogers plan is Best. $180 per year, free evenings and weekends 100 daytime minutes for the entire year and unlimited SMS

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pa ... d-p/400290

TBayTel is the best. It is $100 per year top up and $10 for 5000 outgoing messages. If you use less than that you’re not spending $10 every month.
Apr 11, 2012
449 posts
126 upvotes
Moon
Gee wrote: If you’re going to spend $15 per month, then the Rogers plan is Best. $180 per year, free evenings and weekends 100 daytime minutes for the entire year and unlimited SMS

TBayTel is the best. It is $100 per year top up and $10 for 5000 outgoing messages. If you use less than that you’re not spending $10 every month.
Rogers used to sell this plan for 120 per year. I wish that they still did.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jaggu2001 wrote: Rogers used to sell this plan for 120 per year. I wish that they still did.
True. But when it was $120, it was either calls or SMS. Not both. They bumped the price and offers both calling and SMS and it’s cheaper than the other $15 guys
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1305 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since OP didn't bother to detail their quantity of texting or quantity or timing of their voice calls, you have no idea what is "best" for OP. None of us do.

Gee wrote: If you’re going to spend $15 per month, then the Rogers plan is Best. $180 per year, free evenings and weekends 100 daytime minutes for the entire year and unlimited SMS

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
treasureseeker3 wrote: Since OP didn't bother to detail their quantity of texting or quantity or timing of their voice calls, you have no idea what is "best" for OP. None of us do.
You're right. If he sends more than 5000 SMS every month, then my suggestion is not the best one. Paying $15 for unlimited is probably a better solution.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Eli2015 wrote: is there a plan (prepaid or not) for text message only ? I dont want the voice mail at all. People shouldnt be able to leave a vm.Anything like this available in Canada ?Thanks
I have to assume you (as Torontonian) have wifi at home and/or office. There are VOIP plan like Textmeup which costs you nothing for texting. People calling you on the textmeup number can leave you message too.

But if you are the rare exception (zero wifi at all), then the above (other forum gurus) suggestions work
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
treasureseeker3 wrote: Since OP didn't bother to detail their quantity of texting or quantity or timing of their voice calls, you have no idea what is "best" for OP. None of us do.

a few texts a month max and no call at all, I already have an unlimited Canada wide plan. Im retiring that number but I may need it to recover some passwords that I have forgot to make the switch. Ill probably keep it a few months.

Thanks everyone even though Im still not decided yet :)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1305 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would just go with Speakout

You probably won't need much more than $25/year
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4765 posts
2353 upvotes
Toronto
Eli2015 wrote: Im retiring that number but I may need it to recover some passwords that I have forgot to make the switch. Ill probably keep it a few months.
treasureseeker3 wrote: I would just go with Speakout
And you should be able to port the # you are retiring to Speakout. You will have to buy a Speakout sim @ $10 pick up in store.