Personal Finance

text message phishing about CRA account

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 2:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2007
1212 posts
416 upvotes
BC

text message phishing about CRA account

Today I received a text message that tries to look like it is from CRA. I have received fake CRA phone calls but never a text message.

Here is the exact message, it is supposedly from phone number +1 (281) 258-8320

"Your CRA online-account has
expired. To avoid any penalties
follow the link below: https://mycra.me
this is a free msg.CDT.625"


Re the area code, 281 is Houston Texas. CRA would not use a USA phone number. Probably just a fake area code and number. But it might be a number that is a toll call where the toll fee goes to the scammer.

I have not checked the https://mycra.me site, maybe it attempts to collect information (such as a bank account number) that can be used for a later identity theft.

Here is a cautionary notice about these scams (from the actual CRA):
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... fsmk9.html
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2354 posts
3073 upvotes
follow the link below: https://mycra.me

My firewall/anti-virus blocks access.

Not sure how we protect people that are likely to fall for such OBVIOUSLY fake messages - they aren't going to be the ones that check out RFD or any other site or call their <knowledgable> family/friends before clicking the link. The elderly, new immigrants and otherwise naive just panic and respond. Can't even get my generally with-it 80-something mother-in-law to take our advice on telephone, email, SMS scams.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7423 posts
4332 upvotes
robsaw wrote: follow the link below: https://mycra.me

My firewall/anti-virus blocks access.

Not sure how we protect people that are likely to fall for such OBVIOUSLY fake messages - they aren't going to be the ones that check out RFD or any other site or call their <knowledgable> family/friends before clicking the link. The elderly, new immigrants and otherwise naive just panic and respond. Can't even get my generally with-it 80-something mother-in-law to take our advice on telephone, email, SMS scams.
Not everyone is careful about the scam. I have a middle age friend who works in IT industry. He was cheated out of $1000 by this kind of scam.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1686 posts
2133 upvotes
BC
#1. CRA does not use any unsecured methods to contact you: text message, email, etc.
#2. CRA probably doesn't have your phone number as it is not mandatory to provide
#3. CRA will provide at least the last 4 digits of your SIN number if the message is legit
#4. CRA URL's uses www.canada.ca

And no, the CRA doesn't send the police after you with a warrant for your arrest regarding unpaid taxes, that is not a criminal matter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7423 posts
4332 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: #1. CRA does not use any unsecured methods to contact you: text message, email, etc.
#2. CRA probably doesn't have your phone number as it is not mandatory to provide
#3. CRA will provide at least the last 4 digits of your SIN number if the message is legit
#4. CRA URL's uses www.canada.ca

And no, the CRA doesn't send the police after you with a warrant for your arrest regarding unpaid taxes, that is not a criminal matter.
actually CRA can involve police for tax cheat: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ences.html
Jr. Member
Mar 14, 2015
180 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal, QC
WetCoastGuy wrote: #1. CRA does not use any unsecured methods to contact you: text message, email, etc.
#2. CRA probably doesn't have your phone number as it is not mandatory to provide
#3. CRA will provide at least the last 4 digits of your SIN number if the message is legit
#4. CRA URL's uses www.canada.ca

And no, the CRA doesn't send the police after you with a warrant for your arrest regarding unpaid taxes, that is not a criminal matter.
I work at cra so i will correct some of those.

The only e-mail that cra i sending will state that you received a message in your account on the cra website. there will be no link in the message.

Cra definitely has your phone number and if you owe money, they wil search for it even if you did not provide it.

CRA agents will never divulge any part of your sin when calling you unless you have been properly identified. The only time part of your sin is provided is on official document that are sent through the mail.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37787 posts
23862 upvotes
Center of Universe
adams7 wrote: Today I received a text message that tries to look like it is from CRA. I have received fake CRA phone calls but never a text message.

Here is the exact message, it is supposedly from phone number +1 (281) 258-8320

"Your CRA online-account has
expired. To avoid any penalties
follow the link below: https://mycra.me
this is a free msg.CDT.625"


Re the area code, 281 is Houston Texas. CRA would not use a USA phone number. Probably just a fake area code and number. But it might be a number that is a toll call where the toll fee goes to the scammer.

I have not checked the https://mycra.me site, maybe it attempts to collect information (such as a bank account number) that can be used for a later identity theft.

Here is a cautionary notice about these scams (from the actual CRA):
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... fsmk9.html
I tried texting and calling that number and received no response.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2007
1212 posts
416 upvotes
BC
I usually only get a couple of scam calls a month, but got 3 phone scam calls on the weekend (July 4 & 5), might be related to the text message phishing in my original post. Maybe my phone number is being targeted as they have somehow figured I might be "old" and odds are better of scammers being able to extract some value from phoning old people. Perhaps there are lists of old people's phone numbers being sold on the darknet. A few years ago I got a call from someone (maybe in Quebec) pretending to be a grand-son in jail and needing bail money, that got me thinking the caller might be calling only old people. Caller swore at me and hung up when I told him I knew about the scam (it was reported in the news back then).

- 2 phone calls with a Chinese female voice recording. It abruptly disconnects after about 30 seconds. I get this type of call maybe once a month.
- 1 phone call with a female voice recording in English saying my transfer of $1.5 million was successfully done. Disconnected abruptly after about 30 seconds. Phone number is in my Canadian area code and number looks very local, but my phone says "United States".

Top