Scammers and Warnings

Text Now Subscriber Numbers - Sellers are a no show

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2020 8:40 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2020
1 posts

Text Now Subscriber Numbers - Sellers are a no show

Hello, I've been a 'victim' of a very unusual scam where the seller agrees to meet the buyer (myself in all instances), and upon arriving at the agreed upon location the seller simply blocks buyer's number and does not show up.

I spend a fair amount of time looking for good deals on Facebook Marketplace and Kijjiji for electronics, cars, etc.

This has happened to me 4 times and although I learned my lesson on the second instance, I proceeded to peruse two more "deals" since the meet up locations were close by. In all instances, the seller was using a text now subscriber number, did not post their number under contacts (on kijjiji), their facebook profiles were a few days or weeks old with no real pictures, their Kijjiji profiles were less than a day old, seller did not share their numbers upfront and insisted on calling the buyer instead, picked a random parking lot or apartment lobby as opposed to the usual timmies/McDonalds as a safe location for both parties and where buyer can test phone and exchange cash.

In all Instances I maintained contact with the seller up until the point I was at the location and buyer blocked my number. The buyer did answer when calling from a different number (thinking a different seller is calling) and offered to meet at the same location or another one close by.

Details of one of the instances:

First time I witnessed the scam was when a seller on Kijjiji had advertised a Samsung cell phone which was well priced but not low enough be raise any suspension (for example a brand new Samsung Note 9 that was selling for around $800 on classifieds at the time was listed at $600).

No number was posted in the ad or under contacts upon which I messaged the seller saying "I'm interested, here is my number, let me know when would be a good time for me to comeby or meet you in a public place".

Seller gets back to me with a local 905 number, I proceed to call him but the phone goes unanswered with the call ending with the voice message " the text now subscriber you have called is unavailable at the moment, please try again later".

He then calls me back, we talk about the item, its condition and agree to meet at their apartment's lobby (a Mississauga address).

I keep the seller posted about the length of my drive and when they should expect me. I call the seller 10 minutes prior to reaching upon which they said that they will make their way down to the lobby.

I call the seller again to ask if they are still making their way down - no answer.

I call several times in the span of next 30 minutes, waiting a couple of minutes in between re-dialing.

Eventually they blocks my number as I hear the message "this number is no longer in service".

I text the seller just before leaving, "if someone made you a higher offer, please let me know so I dont bother you and waste our time" - no response.

I later call the number using my friend's phone. They picks up and I ask them if the phone is still available, they say yes and that I should meet them at an address (which is a few blocks away from when I made the initial inquiry)

I then confront the seller about blocking my number and not showing up, they drop the call and block my friend's number aswell.

I do not understand the point of this scam, how does it benefit the seller? Is this an attempt at kidnapping...? Are they trying to sell fake phone to unsuspecting buyers and only meeting buyers if they do not ask all the usual questions about proof of purchase, condition etc, or are these a**wipes simply hellbent on wasting peoples time.

Has anyone had this experience?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3265 posts
1620 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ZereldoN79517 wrote: Hello, I've been a 'victim' of a very unusual scam where the seller agrees to meet the buyer (myself in all instances), and upon arriving at the agreed upon location the seller simply blocks buyer's number and does not show up.

I spend a fair amount of time looking for good deals on Facebook Marketplace and Kijjiji for electronics, cars, etc.

This has happened to me 4 times and although I learned my lesson on the second instance, I proceeded to peruse two more "deals" since the meet up locations were close by. In all instances, the seller was using a text now subscriber number, did not post their number under contacts (on kijjiji), their facebook profiles were a few days or weeks old with no real pictures, their Kijjiji profiles were less than a day old, seller did not share their numbers upfront and insisted on calling the buyer instead, picked a random parking lot or apartment lobby as opposed to the usual timmies/McDonalds as a safe location for both parties and where buyer can test phone and exchange cash.

In all Instances I maintained contact with the seller up until the point I was at the location and buyer blocked my number. The buyer did answer when calling from a different number (thinking a different seller is calling) and offered to meet at the same location or another one close by.

Details of one of the instances:

First time I witnessed the scam was when a seller on Kijjiji had advertised a Samsung cell phone which was well priced but not low enough be raise any suspension (for example a brand new Samsung Note 9 that was selling for around $800 on classifieds at the time was listed at $600).

No number was posted in the ad or under contacts upon which I messaged the seller saying "I'm interested, here is my number, let me know when would be a good time for me to comeby or meet you in a public place".

Seller gets back to me with a local 905 number, I proceed to call him but the phone goes unanswered with the call ending with the voice message " the text now subscriber you have called is unavailable at the moment, please try again later".

He then calls me back, we talk about the item, its condition and agree to meet at their apartment's lobby (a Mississauga address).

I keep the seller posted about the length of my drive and when they should expect me. I call the seller 10 minutes prior to reaching upon which they said that they will make their way down to the lobby.

I call the seller again to ask if they are still making their way down - no answer.

I call several times in the span of next 30 minutes, waiting a couple of minutes in between re-dialing.

Eventually they blocks my number as I hear the message "this number is no longer in service".

I text the seller just before leaving, "if someone made you a higher offer, please let me know so I dont bother you and waste our time" - no response.

I later call the number using my friend's phone. They picks up and I ask them if the phone is still available, they say yes and that I should meet them at an address (which is a few blocks away from when I made the initial inquiry)

I then confront the seller about blocking my number and not showing up, they drop the call and block my friend's number aswell.

I do not understand the point of this scam, how does it benefit the seller? Is this an attempt at kidnapping...? Are they trying to sell fake phone to unsuspecting buyers and only meeting buyers if they do not ask all the usual questions about proof of purchase, condition etc, or are these a**wipes simply hellbent on wasting peoples time.

Has anyone had this experience?
TBH, I do the same meaning call the seller/buyer in advance and ask questions. But the person you were dealing with, seems like a prick or is probably selling you a clone. Just be careful nowadays as there are legit clones cycling around, and prices are cheaper than normal ones.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Nov 24, 2007
183 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Possibly sizing you up to see if u look like an easy victim of scam/robbery.

As mentioned earlier, be happy you became neither.
Sep 4, 2013
182 posts
202 upvotes
Edmonton
I don’t see any scams, I see the usual no show BS. People are too inconsiderate to apologize when they changed their minds. So they rather just stop communicating than own up to it. I don’t know why people do this
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5197 posts
439 upvotes
This is no scam, just someone playing pranks or getting back at you for lowballing. him/her.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Jan 16, 2008
330 posts
122 upvotes
Brampton
TypeVR6 wrote: This is no scam, just someone playing pranks or getting back at you for lowballing. him/her.
100% agree. The OP only mention seller list price, not offer price.