• Dec 18th, 2021 5:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
41 posts
157 upvotes

[The Bay] $99.99 Global Chef's Knife 8" + Shears 8"

I know there are some good deals at Costco for Global Chef's knives, but none of them include shears - this looks like a solid deal:

This two-piece set features a chef's knife and kitchen shears finished in classic stainless steel. Stainless steel. Hand wash. Made in Japan.

TWO-PIECE SET INCLUDES

Kitchen shears, 8" (21cm)

G2 Chef's knife, 8" (20cm)

Style Code: 0600091486242
62 replies
Jun 21, 2007
59 posts
73 upvotes
Prince George, BC
This is the stuff that I'd usually jump on - I've got a couple of Globals and they cut real good. Those shears look horribly uncomfortable, but I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has experience?
Nov 24, 2019
169 posts
357 upvotes
brass wrote: This is the stuff that I'd usually jump on - I've got a couple of Globals and they cut real good. Those shears look horribly uncomfortable, but I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has experience?
All I can say is that as a lefty the symmetry on these shears makes me happy Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2598 posts
1646 upvotes
Durham
I am only interested in the shears. Anyone want to split?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1289 posts
992 upvotes
Brampton
I have this set from costco and the shears are amazing. Very sharp. I use this to process chicken pieces all the time.
Mar 26, 2004
346 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
Best shears I've used. This is a good deal, thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1508 posts
1096 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Looks like a great deal, Just want to try out Global shears, should be a great buy
Any active promo code at the moment btw?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1303 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
This is a good deal, I have a pair of Global shears, just bought another for a spare pair, and why not get a free G2 knife as well!
Aug 25, 2011
231 posts
186 upvotes
LONDON
Koenv55972 wrote: All I can say is that as a lefty the symmetry on these shears makes me happy Face With Tears Of Joy
On the other hand, this could just mean that lefties suffer just as much as righties.

On other sites, it appears that the shears are made of the Cromova 18 steel that global is known for, but made in China (according to Williams Sonoma). It looks like its secured by a hex nut which means they possibly aren't readily detachable without tools for easy cleaning (any owners can comment on this feature?)

Either way, price is quite good.
Dec 13, 2004
608 posts
80 upvotes
sushiphage wrote: On the other hand, this could just mean that lefties suffer just as much as righties.

On other sites, it appears that the shears are made of the Cromova 18 steel that global is known for, but made in China (according to Williams Sonoma). It looks like its secured by a hex nut which means they possibly aren't readily detachable without tools for easy cleaning (any owners can comment on this feature?)

Either way, price is quite good.
I think Williams Sonoma may have that wrong? Everywhere else I see it says made in Japan?
Oct 15, 2015
125 posts
360 upvotes
Anyone has thoughts on G2 Global 8" versus the Zwilling/Henckels Gourmet Chef Knife 8"?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5549 posts
3180 upvotes
West Vancouver
Do we have to submit proofs that we are a Chef ?
Oct 15, 2015
125 posts
360 upvotes
Coz4k wrote: Do we have to submit proofs that we are a Chef ?
As long as you can cook kraft dinner.
Nov 17, 2007
314 posts
213 upvotes
I have this kit from Costco. On the box it says the the knife is made in Japan and the shears are made in China. Both are of high quality regardless of where its made.
d_chow wrote: I think Williams Sonoma may have that wrong? Everywhere else I see it says made in Japan?
Apr 4, 2017
242 posts
173 upvotes
I bought this same set from Costco like 3 years ago. My wife and I use both pieces all the time. Great quality. I'm going to buy one for my sister.
Dec 13, 2004
608 posts
80 upvotes
VitaminB wrote: I have this kit from Costco. On the box it says the the knife is made in Japan and the shears are made in China. Both are of high quality regardless of where its made.
Fair enough! Ordered one right after my previous post. Thanks OP!
Aug 25, 2011
231 posts
186 upvotes
LONDON
d_chow wrote: I think Williams Sonoma may have that wrong? Everywhere else I see it says made in Japan?
https://kitchenvirtue.com/products/glob ... eel-shears

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/global/k ... rs-p125471

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca (cached site from Global Cutlery USA product page for shears; "Designed in Japan, made in China.")

https://globalknives.uk/kitchen-shears-block Global UK. "Designed by Komin Yamada" but suspiciously omits country of manufacture (the knife and shears set states Made in Japan however)

That's not to say these aren't quality shears of course. It does matter to some whether it's made in Japan.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4075 posts
23287 upvotes
I've been using my 11-pc. since 2005 and still to this haven't found anything better - never tried the shears but has me curious.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.