• May 15th, 2019 9:32 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2370 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 12:29 pm
How does all-clad compare to sets from zwilling henckel, which is better quality?
depends on which set. the zwilling sol II or truclad (slightly thicker, better handles version of Sol) would be equivalent in terms of construction but those are made in china while all-clad are made in USA. if you go up to belgium made Aurora or Sensation line then those are 5 ply and better than D5 IMO. anything below like the joy set or bonded base then all-clads are better imo.
source: i collect a lot of cookware
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1416 posts
112 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 12:48 pm
depends on which set. the zwilling sol II or truclad (slightly thicker, better handles version of Sol) would be equivalent in terms of construction but those are made in china while all-clad are made in USA. if you go up to belgium made Aurora or Sensation line then those are 5 ply and better than D5 IMO. anything below like the joy set or bonded base then all-clads are better imo.
source: i collect a lot of cookware
Never even heard of 5 ply, is that what you have? Do you notice the difference between the 3 ply zwilling or all-clad?

One thing I noticed the all-clad handle on the pots do not look very comfortable compared to the zwilling, but I guess one has to try it out themselves to know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2369 posts
1975 upvotes
GTA
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 12:29 pm
How does all-clad compare to sets from zwilling henckel set, which is better quality?
If you're considering Henckel's then I highly recommend the Cooks Standard Multi-ply Clad set or pieces available on Amazon. I've f ound them to be of excellent quality, nearly on par with All-Clad. I own a few pieces and very happy with them. Great reviews on Amazon, though a handful of complaints about only the fry pans, some say they have warped, that's why i went with All-Clad fry pan.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01ATZ ... EEQB&psc=1

76% 5 star reviews on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-1 ... merReviews

I heated up some soup on medium heat in the Cook's 1.5 quart saucepan the other day. After pouring out the soup I put the empty pot back on electric stove and forgot to turn off the burner. 20 minutes later i smelt something burning, raced to the stove and found the remnants of the soup burnt black to bottom of pan. After soaking for 30 minutes it easily cleaned to perfection AND no warping.

I bought the 1.5 quart from Amazon warehouse (used in very good condition) for $30. It looked brand new to me. There's a couple available now: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2370 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 3:56 pm
Never even heard of 5 ply, is that what you have? Do you notice the difference between the 3 ply zwilling or all-clad?

One thing I noticed the all-clad handle on the pots do not look very comfortable compared to the zwilling, but I guess one has to try it out themselves to know.
I have a bunch, 2 ply, 3-ply, 5 ply, 5 ply copper core. There is even a 7-ply, but its so heavy, its pretty much like a cast iron pan. no difference between zwilling 3 ply to all-clad 3 ply except the zwilling handle (tru-clad) is much better to toss. the all-clad is better to pour though. All but one position are uncomfortable on the all-clad so you gotta get used to holding it in that position. slightly unnatural because I place my whole thumb down the handle so the handle kind of wraps down to the base of my thumb.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1713 posts
1152 upvotes
Ottawa
You might be able to save a little more if you get this $100 digital gift card for $90:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ebay-ca ... y-2274623/

I think it would work - assuming a) it's delivered in time (it's electronic, so I think it would be?) and 2) there's no issues using a gift card at the same time as a promo code (shouldn't be?).

For me, the pan comes to $92.99 after discount, shipping and tax - so this $100 gift card, which you only pay $90 for, would cover it (saving you another $3 off the pan - plus a bonus $7 left over that you could spend on whatever).
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Dec 24, 2009
49 posts
19 upvotes
Kfox wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 3:51 am
The Bay has the All-Clad Tri-ply 12" Fry Pan on sale for $99.99, use code FRIENDS for extra 15% off

Deal was active with a different code a few days ago: the-bay-all-clad-12-inch-stainless-stee ... #p30702706
Is this really the D3 OP or just the stainless steel? I only ask because I want the D3

https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-d3-armo ... 0089116401
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2369 posts
1975 upvotes
GTA
strongsiletype wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:13 pm
Is this really the D3 OP or just the stainless steel? I only ask because I want the D3

The link in OP is the D3

they make 3 different tri-ply fry pans:
1. D3 (OP deal)
2. D3 Amor (dimpled cooking surface) (not as well reviewed)
3. the MC2 pan (Master Chef Series)
Nov 25, 2003
523 posts
175 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:03 am
food sticking and discoloration are most likely caused by poor technique
Exactly. I've had this pan for years and have no issues. First you have the cure it (the same way you would do cast iron - medium heat, light oil, wipe, let cool on it's own). Never run the pan past medium heat (this is not a Wok). Clean with oil and salt.
Mar 7, 2011
218 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa
waynecarrigan wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:46 pm
Exactly. I've had this pan for years and have no issues. First you have the cure it (the same way you would do cast iron - medium heat, light oil, wipe, let cool on it's own). Never run the pan past medium heat (this is not a Wok). Clean with oil and salt.
Oh rly? I thought this was meant for high heat applications?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2370 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
strongsiletype wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:13 pm

i think they just renamed their stainless collection to D3 using the new naming convention and to be inline with the rest of the offerings (D5, D7, C4 etc...)
my friend went to pick one up, it comes in a new box that says D3 on it. on the bottom of the pan, it also says D3. when compared to my stainless, its EXACTLY the same, even down to the handles, except the bottom of his has "D3" etched on it.
Aug 31, 2009
408 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
are these better than the debuyer pans?
Nov 23, 2004
748 posts
149 upvotes
Smokey6 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:55 pm
Oh rly? I thought this was meant for high heat applications?
+1. I thought you could sear with this pan? May need to return otherwise.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1604 posts
894 upvotes
Montreal, QC
freebies_r_us wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:22 pm
+1. I thought you could sear with this pan? May need to return otherwise.
Description says searing, info about the product says searing... I'd rather believe the official description of the product than some dude on RFD Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: Even the box says "Oven and broiler safe up to 600°F".
Images
  • IMG_20190327_184600.jpg
Last edited by willy0275 on Mar 27th, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)