Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Bay Black Friday

The Bay Breville Bambino Espresso Machine $287.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2022 1:28 am
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2032 posts
492 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Speaking of James Hoffman, he reviewed this machine as the Sage Bambino and said it was perfectly adequate for starting out. I personally went for a Plus because I'm lazy and value the automatic frother.
Jun 17, 2019
264 posts
634 upvotes
TSC has both the regular and plus for the same price. Stacks with their 20% email signup coupon to make it even cheaper than the Bay.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
How in the world can you find 7 days after roast for commercial coffee like Balzac's or kh ??

Also. 3 weeks after roast is best flavour wise.
Dealsformeals23 wrote: The date of the roast is more important. So, kicking horse or balzacs, whatever it is check the date and plan to use it 7 days after the roast and won't stale until 3-4wks from the roast date. Check out the king of coffee -

Also, if you are buying pre-ground coffee, use a pressurized basket. Grinding - well you'll be paying more for a decent espresso grinding, which will cost at least as much as your espresso machine unless you use a hand grinder, which is pretty great IMO. I have 1zpresso JE plus but I would suggest the J-max or Jx-pro as well as the kingrinders to keep it a low budget.

Overall, the interesting thing about being a newbie to espresso, "beginner gear" will make the hobby more frustrating. For example, if you have the sage dose pro or smart dose pro grinder, it grinds fine enough but clumps, which makes it quite difficult to get an even extraction for tasting better. I had this grinder and when I upgraded, it was very noticeable in terms of taste and reduced channeling. The bambino plus is a great machine for a newbie because of the temperature management.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1020 posts
324 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hey guys, lots of chatter about grinders everywhere.. do they really make a huge difference? Or Once you're used to the taste it doesn't really matter? Would the grinder in this thread be the go to, or would you recommend something else (price/value)? thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1865 posts
1525 upvotes
Center of the univer…
jbldeals wrote: Personally, I value the 60 seconds of the Plus frothing my milk without me having to stand there. But I have 3 kids under 7, so our mornings are crazy!
I pair the bambino with an aeroccino for the perfect mix, haven't used the milk frother on bambino at all other than dispensing hot water if making an Americano
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
SPYderBra wrote: Any suggestions for coffee beans? I know dark roasts are easier for beginners
That is just flat out not true. Dark roast are easier to extract, but as a result, also WAY easier to over-extract and have a shot of pure bitterness. If you have an actual dark roast you are going to want to start with a smaller dose and pull your shot short. A proper medium roast would probably be the best starting point to actually get comfortable and work best with a standard 1:2 ratio.

The bambino plus can do lighter roasts fine, yes you cannot control the temp - but you can heat your porta, pre-run a shot to get the showerhead up to temp and you can pull 1:3 ratio and you will have a very nice light roast shot. *Caveat being you will need a nice grinder

One roast being 'easier' than another is a misnomer overall though, they require different parameters and tweaks, but I would not say any is specifically easier.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
nahsha wrote: Hey guys, lots of chatter about grinders everywhere.. do they really make a huge difference? Or Once you're used to the taste it doesn't really matter? Would the grinder in this thread be the go to, or would you recommend something else (price/value)? thanks!
A grinder matters much more than your machine - you will see that repeated everywhere for a reason. A cheaper machine with a nicer grinder is better than a nicer machine with a cheap grinder.

No matter how good the machine is, it can never make an uneven grind extract evenly.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1020 posts
324 upvotes
Montreal, QC
evanwier wrote: A grinder matters much more than your machine - you will see that repeated everywhere for a reason. A cheaper machine with a nicer grinder is better than a nicer machine with a cheap grinder.

No matter how good the machine is, it can never make an uneven grind extract evenly.
Thanks! Would you go for the above mentioned grinder?
Nov 19, 2022
5 posts
6 upvotes
sidshock wrote: How in the world can you find 7 days after roast for commercial coffee like Balzac's or kh ??

Also. 3 weeks after roast is best flavour wise.
It was a passive point that the beans are unlikely fresh. 3 weeks after opening is fine and they'll notice a stale bean when using a baked portafilter
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
nahsha wrote: Thanks! Would you go for the above mentioned grinder?
If talking about the Eureka mignon specialita - for sure - it is not the best obviously but it will be more than adequate to make good shots.

I am personally waiting for the DF64E to ship from Coffee Addicts - should be next month

https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/df64e ... so-grinder

I have been surviving with the Smart Grinder Pro - but I really do want to step it up, as using a friends Niche Zero for a few weeks before he sold it really showed me the light lol
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
Dealsformeals23 wrote: It was a passive point that the beans are unlikely fresh. 3 weeks after opening is fine and they'll notice a stale bean when using a baked portafilter
Very true.
I still enjoy Balzac's though. It has a certain flavour I like. Really dislike kh. I dunno what changed. I used to like them 3 or so years ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
evanwier wrote: If talking about the Eureka mignon specialita - for sure - it is not the best obviously but it will be more than adequate to make good shots.

I am personally waiting for the DF64E to ship from Coffee Addicts - should be next month

I have been surviving with the Smart Grinder Pro - but I really do want to step it up, as using a friends Niche Zero for a few weeks before he sold it really showed me the light lol
I really like the specialita. Esp the size.
I got it direct from italy 2 yrs ago for about $400 all in to my door !
Dunno if it's as good a deal now.

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/

I switched to drip recently and dialed it in no problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
evanwier wrote: If talking about the Eureka mignon specialita - for sure - it is not the best obviously but it will be more than adequate to make good shots.

Aside from the noise and some quality issues. This is a fantastic grinder for the price and much cheaper than the zero.
https://a.co/d/cqyKulQ
Jan 10, 2022
19 posts
14 upvotes
RT6dGG wrote: TSC has both the regular and plus for the same price. Stacks with their 20% email signup coupon to make it even cheaper than the Bay.
Was going to buy it from there, but site is bugged and it would not find anything. Then I went and read about TSC reviews and it seems quite scarry...
Jun 12, 2020
399 posts
223 upvotes
The Plus version is currently listed at $500, with the 25% off first purchase from the neo the bay mastercard it comes down to about $375, is it a good deal? A lot of people reported that the 25% off also worked on the 878 model which translated to about .$720
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
pewlykertor wrote: The Plus version is currently listed at $500, with the 25% off first purchase from the neo the bay mastercard it comes down to about $375, is it a good deal? A lot of people reported that the 25% off also worked on the 878 model which translated to about .$720
$375 is very good for the Bambino Plus - for that price there is nothing even close that can compete for the quality of espresso to price ratio
Jun 12, 2020
399 posts
223 upvotes
evanwier wrote: $375 is very good for the Bambino Plus - for that price there is nothing even close that can compete for the quality of espresso to price ratio
Thank you. Will pull the trigger tomorrow to see if it still works. Is the Plus (500) basically the same as 878 without the grinder and display?
Nov 19, 2022
5 posts
6 upvotes
pewlykertor wrote: Thank you. Will pull the trigger tomorrow to see if it still works. Is the Plus (500) basically the same as 878 without the grinder and display?
While you are buying, look at coffeeaddicts site and get yourself an IMS basket as it will 100% be an upgrade to your espresso, maybe less so if you make milk drinks.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
pewlykertor wrote: Thank you. Will pull the trigger tomorrow to see if it still works. Is the Plus (500) basically the same as 878 without the grinder and display?
Hmmm so your choices are the Bambino plus for ~347 - but still about $400 for a grinder taking you to $800ish..... or the Barista Pro at $720

Hmmm. That is tough. The built in grinder isn't great - but it also isn't far off the Smart Grinder Pro in terms of actual grind quality at the end of the day and the Barista Pro also gives you a PID to control your extraction temps better - will make it simpler to dial in Light and Dark roasts correctly, but there are other ways to do the same with dosages and ratios....

My thoughts are this.

If you make lots of milk drinks - and don't want to really learn the art of steaming milk yourself - get the Bambino Plus. The auto frothing is really quiet good and consistent.

If you don't make as many milk drinks and care more about the pure espresso, the Baristo Pro probably has the slight edge from having the PID - but still... then you are trapped with that grinder forever.

At the end of the day, I would personally still lean to the Bambino Plus.

** Also I 100% agree with the other posters suggestion of an IMS Basket - you can get the IMS Showerhead for it as well for more even flow - though I found it finnicky to get the screw tighness just right to have it come out of the IMS shower completely even. Then I would recommend a cheap WDT needle tool and bottomless portafilter off amazon or aliexpress.