Bambino Plus: https://www.thebay.com/product/breville ... LESS_STEEL

Bambino vs Bambino plus
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
20 replies
Mar 8, 2017
236 posts
506 upvotes
did they increase the price of the bambino (non plus)? i swear it wasn't 449 last time i checked.

anyways, the bambino is 303$ on amazon right now.

edit : question for the connoisseur. if i know nothing about espresso and want to dip my toes into that world, am i better with a bambino or spend a little bit more for the gaggia classic. (i already have 700$ ish saved for a good grinder).
Nov 5, 2013
114 posts
68 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
dalex100 wrote: did they increase the price of the bambino (non plus)? i swear it wasn't 449 last time i checked.

edit : question for the connoisseur. if i know nothing about espresso and want to dip my toes into that world, am i better with a bambino or spend a little bit more for the gaggia classic. (i already have 700$ ish saved for a good grinder).
I got mine for 270 a year ago. Was 299 with a coupon so def has gone up or was a bigger sale.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5410 posts
5466 upvotes
dalex100 wrote: did they increase the price of the bambino (non plus)? i swear it wasn't 449 last time i checked.

Thanks for the amazon link. My bad.

Both the bambino and Gaggia compromise of different fronts. Bambino gives you features like PID temperature control, quick start up. Gaggia gives you build quality, repairability and probably mod-ability, Bambino will have a shorter learning curve, but if/when mastered the Gaggia may produce better espresso and will last longer.

Nov 9, 2020
47 posts
81 upvotes
Bambino Plus is an amazing entry level machine. I got it for the same price at ECS. The only issue ive found so far is that the drip tray is quite small and overflows quite often. I also use it along with an Eureka Mignon Silenzio. A suggestion is to get a WDT tool, funnel and a Breville Bambino compatible bottomless portafilter.
If it aint XO, then it gotta go
Jun 16, 2021
341 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
Bambino / Bambino plus + on grinder or BES870XL that has the built in grinder?
Nov 9, 2020
47 posts
81 upvotes
The built-in grinder is decent and gets the job done but has a few cons such as the whole unit can go bad or just one of the two (coffee maker or grinder) making most of the machine junk. Plus it also limits your ability to venture into different machines etc. it would be ideal to get a bambino or bambino plus with a dedicated grinder rather than integrated.
If it aint XO, then it gotta go
Jun 3, 2021
43 posts
71 upvotes
I have a bambino myself, and I can say for sure homemade espresso is many times better than any cafe ones.

I've tried a bunch of toronto cafe's espressos and the gist is basically no barista is going to put in the care you will put in at home. it will be pulled for either too long or (they didnt grind fine enough) too short, resulting in either watered down texture or super bitter tasting espresso. Espresso is still bitter when cold, but when hot, the flavor and texture from even the bambino is much much better than anything you can get outside.

I will say though, if you really enjoy drinking coffee / drink lattes / espressos often, it is worthwhile spending way more to get a better machine. For the following reasons:
  1. three way solenoid valve for instant shutoff of water - bambino doesnt have this and you will have to pull the cup away from the basket once you shut it off at the end since it will continue to drip a bit thereafter. The last few drops are super bitter so this is actually a pretty big difference maker
  2. bambino's steam power is lacking. You can definitely steam, but it will be much much much easier on a bigger machine. It can't effectively swirl a large cup of milk since it's only got a thermoblock instead of a steam tank/boiler
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5410 posts
5466 upvotes
SPYderBra wrote: Bambino / Bambino plus + on grinder or BES870XL that has the built in grinder?
Bambino + a good grinder is the better option. The Barista express was a great buy for $500 (sale + coupon) but with the price increases its not as compelling.

If the infuser was the same price as the bambino then I would personally pick the infuser over bambino. Infuser is basically a barista express without the grinder. It has a bigger drip tray and a better bottomless portafilter. Edit: better portafilter, not bottomless.
Last edited by fatestkid on Oct 2nd, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 16, 2018
126 posts
186 upvotes
The Bay never gave me my bonus points from their summer sale
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4523 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
fatestkid wrote: Bambino + a good grinder is the better option. The Barista express was a great buy for $500 (sale + coupon) but with the price increases its not as compelling.

If the infuser was the same price as the bambino then I would personally pick the infuser over bambino. Infuser is basically a barista express without the grinder. It has a bigger drip tray and a better bottomless portafilter.
Plus the Infuser, like the Barista Express has the pressure gauge, which I find super helpful in dialing in a shot correctly.
Nov 8, 2020
95 posts
51 upvotes
Barrie
The bambino is a nice little machine to learn on. The Gaggia is a tiny bit advanced for the novice imo.
Invest in a bottomless portafilter so you can see your shots.
Mar 23, 2017
579 posts
514 upvotes
Canada
fatestkid wrote: Bambino + a good grinder is the better option. The Barista express was a great buy for $500 (sale + coupon) but with the price increases its not as compelling.

If the infuser was the same price as the bambino then I would personally pick the infuser over bambino. Infuser is basically a barista express without the grinder. It has a bigger drip tray and a better bottomless portafilter. Edit: better portafilter, not bottomless.
If you are mainly into milk drinks/lattes, bambino is better than infuser or barista express as it has better steam/heating System. Portafilter can be changed so not a big plus. Bambino plus with good grinder ka best option
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5410 posts
5466 upvotes
YasirAli wrote: If you are mainly into milk drinks/lattes, bambino is better than infuser or barista express as it has better steam/heating System. Portafilter can be changed so not a big plus. Bambino plus with good grinder ka best option
I mostly agree. I've owned both and I don't drink milk drinks which is why infuser gets a slight edge. I do think the Bambino has a painfully small and fidgety drip tray which gets annoying after a while.

I would highly recommend a stainless steel portafilter for the bambino.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5410 posts
5466 upvotes
Cire10 wrote: I have a bambino myself, and I can say for sure homemade espresso is many times better than any cafe ones.

I've tried a bunch of toronto cafe's espressos and the gist is basically no barista is going to put in the care you will put in at home. it will be pulled for either too long or (they didnt grind fine enough) too short, resulting in either watered down texture or super bitter tasting espresso. Espresso is still bitter when cold, but when hot, the flavor and texture from even the bambino is much much better than anything you can get outside.

I will say though, if you really enjoy drinking coffee / drink lattes / espressos often, it is worthwhile spending way more to get a better machine. For the following reasons:
  1. three way solenoid valve for instant shutoff of water - bambino doesnt have this and you will have to pull the cup away from the basket once you shut it off at the end since it will continue to drip a bit thereafter. The last few drops are super bitter so this is actually a pretty big difference maker
  2. bambino's steam power is lacking. You can definitely steam, but it will be much much much easier on a bigger machine. It can't effectively swirl a large cup of milk since it's only got a thermoblock instead of a steam tank/boiler
Just fyi, the bambino plus does have a 3-way. Only the cheaper bambino is missing that.

I upgraded to the Breville Dual and absolutely love it.

Dec 12, 2019
244 posts
243 upvotes
This, or similar sales, often bring the price point down to ~450. Haven't seen it go below (for the plus). I'm keeping an eye on the black truffle plus, but I think I'm going to pay up for my next machine.
Dec 25, 2013
362 posts
107 upvotes
Calgary
What’s a good bottomless portafilter to buy? Any recommended cheap ones from alibaba?
Sep 23, 2010
182 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
On amazon its 303$ for Bambino
I posted it in another thread
Jun 16, 2021
341 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
leomon wrote: On amazon its 303$ for Bambino
I posted it in another thread