[The Bay] Breville Bambino Automatic Espresso machine

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 6:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
9 posts
24 upvotes

[The Bay] Breville Bambino Automatic Espresso machine

Note this is not the Bambino Plus(currently $479 at ECS Coffee | $399 BestBuy backorder)- this the original Bambino.

2 year warranty
Automatic espresso machine

I'm a beginner so interested in picking one up for home.

Nov 27 UPDATE: Rakuten has 12% cashback for The Bay as of today- this cashback offer is in effect until end of day, November 27 so that effectively brings this to $263 before taxes.

Nov 30 UPDATE SOLD OUT. I see some got this for $190 with The Bay 10% coupon code and were successful in getting a price adjustment. I will try and do the same but the product page is now removed..
Last edited by AmandaN418 on Dec 1st, 2020 1:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1305 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Come with grinder? Compare to breville 870xl?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1839 posts
294 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: Come with grinder? Compare to breville 870xl?
Did you click the link? No it doesn't come with a grinder. This is basically the Bambino Plus without the auto froth feature.

If you need a grinder, then this might not be for you. If you want an espresso maker that takes up the least amount of counter space, this is what you want.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1839 posts
294 upvotes
That's a solid deal. They're back ordered all over Canada for whatever reason, stock is expected back in the next two weeks from what I've been told.

For people looking at espresso machines around this level, Jame Hoffman's video is good. This made me go with the Bambino Plus as it met my needs best and my wife won't hate it.

How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Dec 3, 2009
283 posts
49 upvotes
You can think of this as the Barista Express without the grinder. You can spend $300 on this, spend another $200 on the Breville Smart Grinder pro to get pretty much the exact same setup as the Barista Express for $500

The additional benefit of this is that, because your grinder will likely be your first limiting factor and, as a result, your first upgrade, you can upgrade just the grinder and continue to use the Bambino as opposed to getting rid of your whole set up if you had a Barista Express
May 18, 2018
452 posts
378 upvotes
I may be wrong but these may not come with non-pressurized baskets, which is a shame. So you need to purchase them separately if you plan on grinding your own beans.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
9 posts
24 upvotes
Hi all, logged into Rakuten today and The Bay has 2.5% -> 12% cashback today.

This has helped sweeten the deal on my end so I made the purchase today! Whilst it may not be for the coffee connoisseur, a great option for those of us who want to upgrade their home-coffee maker but not yet confident to go the full manual espresso machine (maybe in a few years). I've had it with my Tassimo and Starbucks. I'm ready to start grinding my own beans and having decent coffee at home!
Nov 24, 2014
101 posts
63 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: That's a solid deal. They're back ordered all over Canada for whatever reason, stock is expected back in the next two weeks from what I've been told.

For people looking at espresso machines around this level, Jame Hoffman's video is good. This made me go with the Bambino Plus as it met my needs best and my wife won't hate it.

This is the Plus version which is different. I'm finding it hard to find many reviews on this cheaper version at The Bay.
Jun 20, 2009
224 posts
225 upvotes
edmonton
sixteen12 wrote:
Did you click the link? No it doesn't come with a grinder. This is basically the Bambino Plus without the auto froth feature.

If you need a grinder, then this might not be for you. If you want an espresso maker that takes up the least amount of counter space, this is what you want.
Lol. I applaud you for your polite and detailed reply to this person. So many people want to be spoonfed everything these days.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
9 posts
24 upvotes
So just did a bit of digging- it seems this Bambino (not plus) may be a new product, actually.

Contrary to my note about being the "original" it seems this product was released November 2020. Breville only started releasing ads Oct 2020 and a bunch of people received a free product (US version) to leave reviews on their US site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhU84a ... lC&index=5
Apr 25, 2010
214 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So what's the difference between this and the Bambino Plus?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7101 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
A quick search didn't show up any third-party reviews, plus an overhand view of the specs shows that it's inferior to the Plus:

9 vs 15 bars of pressure
1 vs 2-year warranty
Apr 25, 2010
214 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CaptPigeon wrote: I'm seeing $229 now!! This is legit HOT now!
Omg, just got a price adjustment through their chat. Thank you!
Sep 1, 2015
174 posts
54 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: A quick search didn't show up any third-party reviews, plus an overhand view of the specs shows that it's inferior to the Plus:

9 vs 15 bars of pressure
1 vs 2-year warranty
On the fence on this. I’ve had 2 manual espresso machines in the past where I learned technique but machines broke down after 2-3 years. Wondering if will be same with this one although at this price is not too bad. Also Rakuten is just 7% right now. And I see wty is 2yrs.
Last edited by cocreg on Nov 30th, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7101 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
cocreg wrote: On the fence on this. I’ve had 2 manual espresso machines in the past where I learned technique but machines broke down after 2-3 years. Wondering if will be same with this one although at this price is not too bad. Also Rakuten is just 7% right now. And I see wty is 2yrs.
Drethis wrote: Are you sure? I'm seeing both as 9 bar and 1 year warranty.

Bambino Plus: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/br ... r/13188267
With all of the extra brand/model specific maintenance/after-market products (charcoal filter, tablets, portafilters, etc...) you'll buy for your specific machine, IMO go with the better product instead of saving a couple of bucks:

I went with the info on the official US site for both:

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es450.html
https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es500.html
Apr 25, 2010
214 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newt_101 wrote: With all of the extra brand/model specific maintenance/after-market products (charcoal filter, tablets, portafilters, etc...) you'll buy for your specific machine, IMO go with the better product instead of saving a couple of bucks:

I went with the info on the official US site for both:

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es450.html
https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es500.html
Yeah, this is really confusing. I'm reading this on their site:

"Low pressure pre-infusion, followed by a high pressure 9 bar extraction process delivered via our 15 bar Italian pump."

So is that 9 bar or 15 bar?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1839 posts
294 upvotes
Drethis wrote: Yeah, this is really confusing. I'm reading this on their site:

"Low pressure pre-infusion, followed by a high pressure 9 bar extraction process delivered via our 15 bar Italian pump."

So is that 9 bar or 15 bar?
its 9 bar, the pump can provide up to 15 bar.