Expired Hot Deals

The Bay

Breville Bambino Espresso Machine $249.99 with coupon ($399.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2021 2:33 pm
May 13, 2013
91 posts
71 upvotes
Montréal
Damn, just missed this deal and my Breville Roma is at death's door. Thanks anyway, good deal!
Apr 27, 2012
839 posts
675 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a warning for others, this purchase may start you on a slippery slope. I started off with a blade grinder and a bodum French press. Got a breville cafe Roma for one Christmas, upgraded to encore grinder. Now have a breville dual boiler and Eureka Mignon specialita. I'm now thinking of getting a Linea mini an or a gs3 if my BDB ever breaks down. 3 years ago I would have told you it's crazy to spend 3k on a espresso set up and yet here I am trying to justify buying a set up worth more than a new Hyundai accent.

The take home message here is don't make the same mistake I made. Go straight to the top and buy a gs3 and pair it with a monolith grinder. Don't waste your time on the Bambino only to do serial upgrades to end up at the same end game.
Last edited by benzylique on Jun 24th, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mar 2, 2015
318 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal, QC
benzylique wrote: Now have a breville dual boiler and Eureka Mignon specialita.
How does the Eureka compare with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15030 posts
9399 upvotes
Southern Ontario
benzylique wrote: Just a warning got others, this purchase may start you on a slippery slope. I started off with a blade grinder and a bodum French press. Got a breville cafe Roma for one Christmas, upgraded to encore grinder. Now have a breville dual boiler and Eureka Mignon specialita. I'm now thinking of getting a Linea mini an or a gs3 if my BDB ever breaks down. 3 years ago, I would have told you it's crazy to spend 3k on a espresso set up and yet here I am trying to justify buying a set up worth more than a new Hyundai accent.

The take home message here is don't make the same mistake I made. Go straight to the top and buy a gs3 and pair it with a monolith grinder. Don't waste your time on the Bambino only up doing serial upgrades to end up at the same end game.
LOL nice setup!

The RFD in me is strong, as long as I can control most variables in the process and produce 1:2 ratio 25s sweet shots out of a budget machine, I'm good. I may slide and grab a Eureka single doser on sale at some point because I enjoy the ease of my Encore for Aeropress over manual JX Pro for espresso, but it ends there (famous last words ha)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15030 posts
9399 upvotes
Southern Ontario
shawnie53 wrote: How does the Eureka compare with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro?
From a coffee group I participate in:

Grinds out of my JX Pro:

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15030 posts
9399 upvotes
Southern Ontario
shawnie53 wrote: How does the Eureka compare with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro?
I should add you can mitigate the difference by using a WDT tool, DIY out of cork.

Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1087 posts
424 upvotes
Vancouver
Danny136 wrote: worked for me, thanks
Did you guys get SUMMER to work? Looks like it is expired and i may be too late.

If anyone has another code, much appreciated!
Sep 15, 2015
958 posts
833 upvotes
Mooooonnn
nathanf wrote:
You won't find a better machine for $250. I have a breville dual boiler, and it's a great machine. As for "messy" - it's hot water and steam and fine coffee grinds, ya there's gonna be some drips and stuff, every time I use my machine it needs a wipe off here or there, it's part of the enjoyment of a good coffee. It takes 60 seconds while your Americano is cooling. A proper cleaning once in a while (weekly for me, less for others) is important, too.l, so get some calfiza espresso cleaner, soak your baskets and backflush your system with it.

Alllllso since I'm already rambling, buy the best grinder you can afford. I went through three before finally getting a Eureka specialita mignon. Consistent results and control on grind is important. I weigh and time every shot, as the beans age and dry I can keep my shots dialed in exactly how I like. Plus any time you try a new bag of very expensive beans, a cheaper grinder takes far too long to "dial in" your grind.

Get the best grinder you can afford. You will grow with your espresso maker and upgrade it a time or two, but a good grinder will stay with you forever.
To those who want to dig in the rabbit hole yes and know the basic of espresso yes. And actually if that is the case, I would not recommend people start from Breville, gaggia or rancilio Silvia would pull a lot better shot and last a lot longer. It sells easy and keep the value. Cons on those machines is they are really not so easy to learn so the curve is steeper. So without pid or pre-Infusion would be a problem for some

But some people may only want to buy a machine less than 300 and use pre ground coffee to try and see if they like this or not, some may not even know espresso is more like a hobby with lots of future investments than just a coffee machine and poor guy may not know what they are buying thought it is just a fancy coffee machine. For those it may hard to justify $600+ grinder as if they don’t like espresso (like the one comment messy) the investment in grinder will be gone and you can’t even find another use case for the grinder.
Last edited by anshiren on Jun 24th, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Sep 15, 2015
958 posts
833 upvotes
Mooooonnn
1. Flat vs conical burr (the flavour profile will be different)

2. A reputable Italian brand and the machine that last for decades vs Australian consumer machine perhaps good for 5 years

Mignon itself got 6-8 variations, it’s single dose will be out soon. I suggest wait if you can. Also bonus tips: check to buy from below it will be cheaper than from Canadian retailer even after shipping fx and duties
https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Apr 27, 2012
839 posts
675 upvotes
Ottawa
Much quieter and faster. Most importantly more consistent with minimal clumping! I did own a breville smart pro grinder for a short period of time before I gave it away to family. In all seriousness, if you want to give it a go I would go with this Bambino and a jx pro manual. Right now I have a BDB, Eureka,jx pro, aeropress, v60. I am considering the Linea mini as the next upgrade in the next 10 years, all thanks to RFD a few years ago. I didn't even drink coffee 2 years ago and bought the coffee Gear for my wife. Look at me now! Full of coffee gear without owning a home because I cannot afford one. I'm the modern day millennial.
Mar 2, 2015
318 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Going a bit off topic here but just pulled a shot from my Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder Pro (single wall, 1 shot (smaller portafilter) and I’m wondering if you experts have any tips based on what you see here. Not seeing the zebra lines as in other videos.

https://streamable.com/96t2ah

Thanks!
Aug 18, 2007
313 posts
161 upvotes
I use cheap frother occasionally, but like aerochino more. It can either heat or cool the milk, washing is only necessary for inside, does not annoy me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7206 posts
6066 upvotes
benzylique wrote: Just a warning got others, this purchase may start you on a slippery slope. I started off with a blade grinder and a bodum French press. Got a breville cafe Roma for one Christmas, upgraded to encore grinder. Now have a breville dual boiler and Eureka Mignon specialita. I'm now thinking of getting a Linea mini an or a gs3 if my BDB ever breaks down. 3 years ago, I would have told you it's crazy to spend 3k on a espresso set up and yet here I am trying to justify buying a set up worth more than a new Hyundai accent.

The take home message here is don't make the same mistake I made. Go straight to the top and buy a gs3 and pair it with a monolith grinder. Don't waste your time on the Bambino only up doing serial upgrades to end up at the same end game.
Coffee noob here. This just sounds like photography. :D
Apr 27, 2012
839 posts
675 upvotes
Ottawa
shawnie53 wrote: Going a bit off topic here but just pulled a shot from my Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder Pro (single wall, 1 shot (smaller portafilter) and I’m wondering if you experts have any tips based on what you see here. Not seeing the zebra lines as in other videos.

https://streamable.com/96t2ah

Thanks!
I'm not a pro either but looks like your shot is running too fast and you may have some channeling. Try using the double basket and see if that helps. If it's going too fast, either increase the amount of ground or go finer on the grinder.
Sep 23, 2007
297 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Xtrema wrote: Coffee noob here. This just sounds like photography. :D
It's not dissimilar at all. Coffee is absolutely an endlessly deep rabbit hole, but so is anything else that benefits from better equipment and technique (I say with an Ooni Koda 16 in the cart in another tab...). I think it's important to know whether you want to pursue something before breaking the bank on a hobby you decide you don't really care for. Personally, I wish I'd spent a lot more on my coffee setup at the outset, but I know plenty of people who traded their machines and grinders for a super automatic, or even a Nespresso, because they just can't be bothered anymore.

For anyone reading through this thread and totally unsure about their love of espresso, start reasonably cheap, just not so cheap that the results will turn you off (definitely don't skimp and get a silly like a $50 burr grinder at Canadian Tire). The Bambino and a halfway decent grinder, like the Breville Smart Grinder Pro, will be an amazing combo and I'd be willing to bet that 9/10 people who start with those two or similar won't care to upgrade for years, if ever, even if something breaks. The results will be good enough to impress most people, probably yourself included, and worrying about all the details people are discussing here is really "majoring in the minors" for a newbie.
Feb 12, 2008
218 posts
38 upvotes
This thing doesn't produce simple hot water, does it? (For Americanos).
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6443 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
What's better, this or the DuoTemp Pro?
Sep 7, 2003
820 posts
336 upvotes
Thanks OP! Ordered one last night. No shipping confirmation yet.

For those of you with a time machine, it seems like this was cheaper back in November.

the-bay-breville-bambino-automatic-espr ... e-2423349/

Also, I had to use OPs link to find it last night but now I can find it on my browser. Strange. Still in stock.
Jan 10, 2013
383 posts
213 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
BDB+Mignon is what I am using, too. I started with the Smart grinder pro because "surely $250 for a grinder is enough"

It wasn't.