Expired Hot Deals

[The Bay] Breville Bambino Plus for $360 (reg: $700)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2019 4:54 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2014
51 posts
34 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[The Bay] Breville Bambino Plus for $360 (reg: $700)

Hey Team,

I've been looking to pick up this machine for a while, but haven't had the hear to get rid of my old machine. The price usually hovers around $550, and down to ~460 with coupon codes. Anyways, at this price, I pulled the trigger.

It's originally $700, but on sale now for $400, and save an additional $40 with the code: SAVE, bringing it down to a nice $360 + tax.

It's highly rated and the top pick from Wirecutter for beginners and the intermediate: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... beginners/

Cheers.
30 replies
Apr 18, 2017
682 posts
1326 upvotes
That's not bad at all! I thought at $399 it was a good deal at idrinkcoffee.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1631 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
Oh no...
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Feb 7, 2009
730 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
I just ordered the DeLonghi Dedica 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine as a gift for xmas... any idea if its worth it to upgrade to this Breville??
Jan 27, 2016
48 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary, AB
J-Money wrote: My thoughts exactly...
Someone fill me in, is this shit? I just bought a Breville Infuser (don't need a grinder). I'm thinking about either the Infuser or a Gaggia Classic... I NEED HELP COFFEE PEOPLE!
Mar 7, 2011
243 posts
303 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Epiclemon wrote: I just ordered the DeLonghi Dedica 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine as a gift for xmas... any idea if its worth it to upgrade to this Breville??
Without question. Breville makes the best value espresso machines money can buy. I have the dual boiler (wait for it to go on sale for around $1K on amazon- EDIT it's actually around that price right now at the Bay). To get the same features on any other machine you'd have to pay at least double.

There is a catch (isn't there always?) They don't have a good reliability record. Almost every machine has a known issue. However if your machine is under warranty they have an excellent repair program (I can personally vouch they fixed mine when it was 3 months past the 2 year warranty). So factor in possibly needing repairs to the cost... However doing that, if I have to do another couple hundred dollar repair in year 3-4 I'm still WAY ahead. And regular maintenance is pretty unavoidable on any espresso machine - you're pushing very hot water at very high pressure through coffee...

I have their grind control coffee machine, and it's problem free after 3 years, as is their smart grinder.
Last edited by fruitpunch.ben on Dec 3rd, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 3, 2005
718 posts
712 upvotes
S
Cameltoejoe wrote: Someone fill me in, is this shit? I just bought a Breville Infuser (don't need a grinder). I'm thinking about either the Infuser or a Gaggia Classic... I NEED HELP COFFEE PEOPLE!
Gaggia classic has better build quality than infuser. With 58mm portafilter, it's also easier to get good leveler, tamper, dosing ring, etc, accessories that'll work later when you upgrade to other 58mm groups... I didn't know this when I had my first machine, Lelit Anna PID with 57mm group. I hundreds of $ on 57mm naked portafilter, shower screen, tamper, baskets, etc, then upgraded to a Profitec Pro 800 3 months later and bought all the accessories over again. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Jan 1, 2017
170 posts
214 upvotes
Definitely Gaggia over breville. If you are not bothered by build quality, why not go for the Roma for half or the price ?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2715 posts
1713 upvotes
GVRD
fruitpunch.ben wrote: Without question. Breville makes the best value espresso machines money can buy. I have the dual boiler (wait for it to go on sale for around $1K on amazon- EDIT it's actually around that price right now at the Bay). To get the same features on any other machine you'd have to pay at least double.

There is a catch (isn't there always?) They don't have a good reliability record. Almost every machine has a known issue. However if your machine is under warranty they have an excellent repair program (I can personally vouch they fixed mine when it was 3 months past the 2 year warranty). So factor in possibly needing repairs to the cost... However doing that, if I have to do another couple hundred dollar repair in year 3-4 I'm still WAY ahead. And regular maintenance is pretty unavoidable on any espresso machine - you're pushing very hot water at very high pressure through coffee...

I have their grind control coffee machine, and it's problem free after 3 years, as is their smart grinder.
Breville makes great consumer appliance, they are like the Miele of appliances. The Bambino, I have doubts. Keep your single/dual boiler, this is just another thermal-block design. The issue I have with Breville is that they are not repairable, there are so many plastics and parts that you have no access to. They are also using odd size portafilter and a lot of electronic controls on the Bambino and I was tempted to buy one until I touched one and talked to one of the Breville rep. The rep hinted this is not the same calibre as the Barista Express or the Infuser. The idea of the new line like Bambino and Barista Touch are competing with full-automatic like Jura or Saeco.

If you want manual controls, this is not for you. I would say if you are planning to investing to the world of coffee, Breville is not the brand to go for. There are tons of good machines out there like Gaggia or Rachillo that can be found for cheap used, even Seattle Coffee geeks have refurb units that is worth considering. I just picked up another Saeco Sirena from a garage sale for $100. It's definitely poor-man's dual boiler when I fire up 2x single boiler. lol
Images
  • IMG_20181027_111632.jpg
Dec 10, 2011
156 posts
149 upvotes
MrGroot wrote: Definitely Gaggia over breville. If you are not bothered by build quality, why not go for the Roma for half or the price ?
Roma is the best for low budget, have one for 8 years and still working perfectly although we didn't take care of it too much.
Jun 12, 2013
446 posts
301 upvotes
I just bought the Bambino from Best Buy today - any way to get them to price match this given that it requires the coupon?

I bought it with gift cards, so returning and buying from The Bay isn't really an option.

Also, made two lattes this evening and they were both consistent and divinely delicious.

It's a great little machine and it seems pretty solid. It's also much smaller than any other decent espresso maker so if space is at a premium, this is the buy for you.

If you want ease of use, low maintenance, consistency and deliciousness, this is for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2715 posts
1713 upvotes
GVRD
molie2403 wrote: Roma is the best for low budget, have one for 8 years and still working perfectly although we didn't take care of it too much.
Normal de-cal, taking out the portafilter gasket to clean and flush it once every few months are all it needs. I had the Cafe Modena model (before Roma) and it was OK until I want better crema and got the Saeco Sirena.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1543 posts
235 upvotes
Hamilton
does it come with the grinder? seperate order?
Feb 7, 2009
730 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
fruitpunch.ben wrote: Without question. Breville makes the best value espresso machines money can buy. I have the dual boiler (wait for it to go on sale for around $1K on amazon- EDIT it's actually around that price right now at the Bay). To get the same features on any other machine you'd have to pay at least double.

How about comparing that to the Roma? its less than half the price of the Bambino...
Which one of the 3 is best value? Between Roma, Bambino and the Delonghi Dedica I've already got on order?
Jun 12, 2013
446 posts
301 upvotes
tester85 wrote: does it come with the grinder? seperate order?
It doesn't.

I'll probably buy one at some point - just getting preground for now.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3364 posts
3550 upvotes
Now that all the espresso experts are here. I am looking for an espresso machine for the office. I have a saeco Intelia at home which I love but paid over 700$ for.

I'm looking for something in the office. Would this be a good one ?

https://www.amazon.ca/DeLonghi-ECP3630- ... th=1&psc=1
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2472 posts
425 upvotes
tester85 wrote: does it come with the grinder? seperate order?
does one need a grinder? I'm new to this, or can you just buy pregrinded already. Just wondering if the 870 is maybe a better deal then
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1091 posts
557 upvotes
MrGroot wrote: Definitely Gaggia over breville.
Not sure about that one. I had the Gaggia Brera and it made weak coffee and it did not last long. Poor quality build for the money imo. Somebody bought the basic Saeco and it lasted longer for less money, and the cofee was better tasting.
I replaced it with the Barista express and it makes way better coffee.
Not a Gaggia fan.
Last edited by govas19 on Dec 3rd, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.