Expired Hot Deals

The Bay

Breville Bambino Plus $449 (with Promo Code FLASH)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2022 7:49 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2006
220 posts
31 upvotes

[The Bay] Breville Bambino Plus $449 (with Promo Code FLASH)

I’ve been keeping an eye on deals for the Breville Bambino series for awhile now. The Bay just dropped their MSRP of the Bambino Plus to $499 and has a Flash promo (10% off) which can be applied to this item making it $449. Seems like a decent deal for the Plus version.
|Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.2ghz | Abit IP35 Pro "Snake" | 2 GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/ S-Flex SFF21E | eVGA 8800GT 512MB w/Accelero S1 (675/950/1687) | Corsair HX520 PSU | Seagate 500GB HDD | Antec P182 Case | 4 Yate Loon DS12L| Pioneer DVR-212D |Samsung 226BW|
Thread Summary
Shopping for a new coffee maker? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best espresso machines!
14 replies
Sep 26, 2015
641 posts
320 upvotes
Thanks been eyeing these for the last few days. Returned my breville pro and looking at the bambino or Bambino plus. For $100 more than the regular bambino, doesn't seem too bad..

Edit: looks like the code works for the regular bambino as well. Probably going with that one, can't justify the extra $ for the main difference being the steaming.
Aug 17, 2001
125 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Rakuten is offering 5% cash back at the Bay, so that's another $22.50 off.
Dec 12, 2009
819 posts
115 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I bought the regular Bambino for $299 around Boxing Day. I didn't think it was worth it to drop an extra $100-200 for more robust milk texturing options. But it will be up to each person how important those features are.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
1879 posts
8804 upvotes
Dark0rb wrote: I bought the regular Bambino for $299 around Boxing Day. I didn't think it was worth it to drop an extra $100-200 for more robust milk texturing options. But it will be up to each person how important those features are.
Same, don't think it's worth it. I watched a few youtube videos on how to foam milk and it took me a few tries to get it right but now I can do it the eyes closed.
Dec 12, 2019
225 posts
217 upvotes
I think the foaming comes in handy for relatives who are intimidated with the setup and process. If it's just one or two people who are familiar with things then ya can't really justify the plus.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5288 posts
4907 upvotes
Edmonton
The bambino (regular) is the better machine for steaming milk if you're willing to learn how to steam milk.

Bambino plus is good for the auto feature for those that want convenience. It works quite well. Additionally, the plus has a 3 way solenoid that helps with drying out the puck after brewing. So the non-plus model will have a more soupy puck compared to the plus model.

Both machines are good for milk drinks but not great for espresso/americano. The portafilter and basket just don't stay hot long enough. Even if you flush it multiple times before brewing. I suspect the reason is the aluminum portafilter. If you bought a 3rd party stainless steel portafilter it might fix this issue. I personally preferred the espresso/americano out of the barista express over the bambino.

The machine is really small and cute, if that matters. Heats up really fast. Feels more newbie friendly and approachable compared to barista express.

Back in July the machine was $480 + $50 in HB rewards back. I think this deal for $450 is a better deal over all.

the-bay-breville-bambino-320-bambino-pl ... #p36245036
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Dec 12, 2019
225 posts
217 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: The bambino (regular) is the better machine for steaming milk if you're willing to learn how to steam milk.

Bambino plus is good for the auto feature for those that want convenience. It works quite well. Additionally, the plus has a 3 way solenoid that helps with drying out the puck after brewing. So the non-plus model will have a more soupy puck compared to the plus model.

Both machines are good for milk drinks but not great for espresso/americano. The portafilter and basket just don't stay hot long enough. Even if you flush it multiple times before brewing. I suspect the reason is the aluminum portafilter. If you bought a 3rd party stainless steel portafilter it might fix this issue. I personally preferred the espresso/americano out of the barista express over the bambino.

The machine is really small and cute, if that matters. Heats up really fast. Feels more newbie friendly and approachable compared to barista express.

Back in July the machine was $480 + $50 in HB rewards back. I think this deal for $450 is a better deal over all.

the-bay-breville-bambino-320-bambino-pl ... #p36245036
My problem is I have a 5 year old delonghi ec860. It's a bit of a beast on the countertop, but we splurged with our airmiles several years ago. We've managed with it thus far but don't use the automatic cappuccino function at all and the wand is kinda lame on it. I recently bought a eureka mignon silenzio because my older grinder broke and I wanted something better. I just don't know that something like the bambino would be an upgrade on the espresso function that I already have. I am intrigued by the small form factor though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5288 posts
4907 upvotes
Edmonton
totalcool wrote: My problem is I have a 5 year old delonghi ec860. It's a bit of a beast on the countertop, but we splurged with our airmiles several years ago. We've managed with it thus far but don't use the automatic cappuccino function at all and the wand is kinda lame on it. I recently bought a eureka mignon silenzio because my older grinder broke and I wanted something better. I just don't know that something like the bambino would be an upgrade on the espresso function that I already have. I am intrigued by the small form factor though.
Your delonghi ec860 uses a pressurized basket whereas the bambino comes with both pressurized (dual wall) and non-pressurized (single wall). The non-pressurized alone will allow you to make better espresso as you'll grind finer. The size of your grind, quantity of coffee and your tamping skill will determine how long the water takes to get through the coffee. The bambino is also designed to brew at 9 bar whereas I would guess that the Delonghi brews at high pressure. So my educated opinion is that you'll get far better espresso from bambino once you have it dialed in.

Having owned the barista express and the bambino plus, I preferred the barista express for espresso just because the portafilter is stainless steel and retains heat better. So purely for espresso I might suggest going for an infuser (barista without the grinder). But if you get the bambino consider getting a third party portafilter. They can be had for $40-$60.

Dec 12, 2019
225 posts
217 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: Your delonghi ec860 uses a pressurized basket whereas the bambino comes with both pressurized (dual wall) and non-pressurized (single wall). The non-pressurized alone will allow you to make better espresso as you'll grind finer. The size of your grind, quantity of coffee and your tamping skill will determine how long the water takes to get through the coffee. The bambino is also designed to brew at 9 bar whereas I would guess that the Delonghi brews at high pressure. So my educated opinion is that you'll get far better espresso from bambino once you have it dialed in.

Having owned the barista express and the bambino plus, I preferred the barista express for espresso just because the portafilter is stainless steel and retains heat better. So purely for espresso I might suggest going for an infuser (barista without the grinder). But if you get the bambino consider getting a third party portafilter. They can be had for $40-$60.
I ended up going with a bottomless 51mm portafilter with the EC860, but it's still 15 bars.
Sep 26, 2015
641 posts
320 upvotes
Anyone upgrade the portafilter to a bottomless? If so, which one did you get?

Ordered the regular bambino.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5288 posts
4907 upvotes
Edmonton
nagooro wrote: Anyone upgrade the portafilter to a bottomless? If so, which one did you get?

I have recently been reading reviews and the Normcore Bottomless is well reviewed. There are a few cheaper no name ones on amazon and eBay as well with mixed reviews. One common theme I've seen is that wood handles on the cheap ones tend to crack so I would stick to plastic or metal handle. The Normcore has an aluminum handle and stainless steel basket holder.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5288 posts
4907 upvotes
Edmonton
totalcool wrote: I ended up going with a bottomless 51mm portafilter with the EC860, but it's still 15 bars.
Are you using non-pressurized basket with the bottomless? 15 bars at the group head or at pump? Because all these machines have a 15 bar pump but the over pressure valve (OPV) is set to different values to reduce the brew pressure. The taste difference between 12 and 9 bar brewing on non-pressurized basket is very apparent to me.

You should see if there is an opv mod to reduce brew pressure for your EC860.

Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15397 posts
10004 upvotes
Southern Ontario
nagooro wrote: Anyone upgrade the portafilter to a bottomless? If so, which one did you get?

I have 2 of these. Bought one and there’s a card inside for a free gift, I asked for a 2nd one, not sure they do that anymore. I usually put mineral oil on any kitchen wood, never dishwasher, if you want them to last, bought April’21.

Be aware there’s always some channeling spray so you’ll have to raise the glass/cup near the head. Also there’s greater heat loss using bottomless, harder to get good taste out of light roasts. There’s a significant difference in sweeter espresso flavour when I use my Synchronika with PID set at 95.

https://a.co/d/bF6w89J