• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 11:31 pm
[OP]
Jan 27, 2015
372 posts
482 upvotes
King City, ON

[The Bay] Breville Pizzaiolo $879.97

It's back on sale at $879.97, down from $1099.99, not the inflated $1299.97 they show. It is pricey, but I am tired of cardboard Gluten Free takeout pizza, and store bought ones are $9 and up. I always end up adding my own ingredients anyway.

https://www.thebay.com/product/breville ... 52310.html

This brushed stainless steel oven is the first domestic countertop oven to hit 750°F and cook an authentic wood-fired style pizza in 2 minutes. It replicates the three types of heat generated by a brick oven - conductive, radiant and convective. Includes one product unit, one pizza peel, one pizza deep dish pan & one 12" pizza stone deck.

Pizzaiolo Gadget Test
Images
  • image.jpeg
108 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22920 posts
178330 upvotes
GTA
Good if you have a weekly pizza habit and the space to store this - doesn't take long for this to pay for itself.
Sep 23, 2007
297 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Thanks OP. I've been considering one of these for a long time, and since my Ooni Koda 16 has been on backorder so long that I'm not sure I'll get it before winter sets in, I might pick it up at this price.

Brave to post this when it always spawns a dozen pages of people feeling the need to vocalize their confusion about why someone would spend the money, but I appreciate it. And for anyone who would rather buy Dominos at 50% off (or full price)- definitely do that. There's almost no such thing as bad pizza, but that doesn't invalidate the value of these ovens.
Feb 19, 2005
29 posts
8 upvotes
Montréal
Have one and never regretted the purchase even once. Makes incredible pizza... We use it weekly
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3555 posts
2592 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Ooni Koda 16 and can see the appeal (LOL) of one of these for indoor use. Takes a bit of setup to get the Ooni ready, as I don't have a dedicated space for it in my postage stamp Toronto back yard. But I do like the effort involved with making a pizza in the Ooni - it requires some technique vs slapping the pizza into the Breville and letting it do all the work.
Jul 25, 2021
23 posts
43 upvotes
Anyone have a Keto recipe that turns out decent in this?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3170 posts
789 upvotes
Thanks for making me want this expensive machine, lol. Not now, but someday.. .. looks amazing
Nov 11, 2013
275 posts
67 upvotes
London
How much are ingredients on a weekly basis? Need dough, sauce and ingredients. So roughly $5 per. Does that not almost equal to the cardboard ones in the frozen section? Obviously you get amazeballs pizzas
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2323 posts
1150 upvotes
Waterloo
ChrisR wrote: Don't forget Rakuten 2.5%
If you have GCR, it's 4%
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Mar 14, 2018
376 posts
412 upvotes
toguy wrote: Good if you have a weekly pizza habit and the space to store this - doesn't take long for this to pay for itself.
I have the space to "store" this but won't considering buying one unless I have the countertop space to leave it out..

Went to a demonstration when it first came out and was really impressed.
May 10, 2021
15 posts
8 upvotes
mdoto wrote: How much are ingredients on a weekly basis? Need dough, sauce and ingredients. So roughly $5 per. Does that not almost equal to the cardboard ones in the frozen section? Obviously you get amazeballs pizzas
The most expensive part is the cheese and meats (dough and sauce is cheap), but you can make pizzas for less than $3.
Nov 27, 2016
329 posts
363 upvotes
m8x
Probably a nice machine and I'm sure works well. One thing it doesn't seem to mention is the max size of pizza and I suspect it's 8" which means personal size only.

I make pizza at home all the time and have gotten fairly good results by experimenting with different temperatures, oven levels and baking pans. Of course, I make the dough and sauce from scratch, that's a no-brainer. I found that a conventional oven at 500 degrees using a pizza stone in the bottom position and a screen (not a solid pan) for 13 minutes seems to make the best 12" pizza. One additional tip is to pre-heat the oven with the stone inside for at least 20 minutes to ensure the stone is as hot as the oven.

Initially, I made about six increasingly more edible pizzas before I was able to make one that was a fairly close facsimile to take-out. Since then, I've continued tweaking the cooking procedure to create the perfect crispy vs. soft crust by varying the cook time by plus or minus 30 seconds and the temperature level.

For a shade under a grand, I prefer to continue to tweak my procedure using maybe $100 in equipment until I have it perfect which I would suspect is equal what this purpose-built machine will do.
Nov 18, 2020
39 posts
6 upvotes
McAngus wrote: It's back on sale at $879.97, down from $1099.99, not the inflated $1299.97 they show. It is pricey, but I am tired of cardboard Gluten Free takeout pizza, and store bought ones are $9 and up. I always end up adding my own ingredients anyway.

https://www.thebay.com/product/breville ... 52310.html

This brushed stainless steel oven is the first domestic countertop oven to hit 750°F and cook an authentic wood-fired style pizza in 2 minutes. It replicates the three types of heat generated by a brick oven - conductive, radiant and convective. Includes one product unit, one pizza peel, one pizza deep dish pan & one 12" pizza stone deck.

Pizzaiolo Gadget Test
Mind sharing your gluten free recipe?
Jul 13, 2007
412 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
echotango wrote: Probably a nice machine and I'm sure works well. One thing it doesn't seem to mention is the max size of pizza and I suspect it's 8" which means personal size only.
Do you mean the multiple references to a 12” pizza stone? It was pretty easy to find………
Nov 27, 2016
329 posts
363 upvotes
m8x
dawn_g_dkny wrote: Do you mean the multiple references to a 12” pizza stone? It was pretty easy to find………
Yup. found it now.

:rolleyes:
Sep 26, 2018
125 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: Good if you have a weekly pizza habit and the space to store this - doesn't take long for this to pay for itself.
Let's do the math.

Total cost after tax is roughly $1000

If you have one pizza per week at $10 (because we're deal hunters and that would be my budget)
and let's assume when making your own pizza, the ingredients cost $5,
then each time you make a pizza you save $5.

$1000/5 = 200. That's 200 weeks of pizza. 52 weeks pear year, so to save $1000 and have the oven "pay for itself", you must make one pizza per week for roughly 4 years.

Will the product hold up for 4 years? Manufacturer's webpage says it only comes with a 2-year warranty.
https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... pz820.html
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2893 posts
857 upvotes
KhajitGotWares wrote: Let's do the math.

Total cost after tax is roughly $1000

If you have one pizza per week at $10 (because we're deal hunters and that would be my budget)
and let's assume when making your own pizza, the ingredients cost $5,
then each time you make a pizza you save $5.

$1000/5 = 200. That's 200 weeks of pizza. 52 weeks pear year, so to save $1000 and have the oven "pay for itself", you must make one pizza per week for roughly 4 years.

Will the product hold up for 4 years? Manufacturer's webpage says it only comes with a 2-year warranty.
https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... pz820.html
$5 per pizza for ingredients is pretty aggressive as everything you would buy would be in bulk if you had one of these.