Expired Hot Deals

The Bay

Breville Pizzaiolo $879.97

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 11:31 pm
Feb 23, 2013
307 posts
190 upvotes
I've had mine for 6 months. ROI will be a little over a year; we use it almost weekly and make about 5 pizzas at a time. No, you won't be able to make a Neapolitan pizza in your home oven/BBQ/microwave. Yes, you need an oven like this or the Ooni or Rocbox or whatever. Although the two propane options were a bit cheaper, the added convenience of never having to deal with propane and being able to cook the pizzas inside won me over with the Breville.

I've found the easiest and best recipe for dough here: https://www.thursdaynightpizza.com/neap ... zza-dough/

I double the ingredients and use half 00 flour (Caputo or the PC brand), half standard white flour. Use the method in the recipe that calls for a 24 hour room temperature ferment, then shape into balls around 270 grams and cold ferment for a minimum 24 hours, up to 72 hours, depending on when you want to make your pizza.

For actual baking - use manual mode, crank the bottom and top to max temp, wait another ten minutes after it says it's at temp - then the oven is ready. Get a perforated pizza peel with minimal rice or 00 flour dusting (don't use semolina - it burns under the dough and tastes awful), or do what I do and use a good quality (Costco) parchment paper: trim the edges of the paper around the dough and slide it in under it. The parchment paper will brown and char a bit, but it doesn't leave any taste in the crust and makes for a flawless launch and removal every time, and doesn't stick to the crust.
Aug 19, 2011
328 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver
Can an amateur just whip up the dough in 5 minutes without any other equipment like a breadmaker then let it rise for a day and freeze it etc?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21103 posts
4011 upvotes
YUL
nomorepenniestopinch wrote: I've had mine for 6 months. ROI will be a little over a year; we use it almost weekly and make about 5 pizzas at a time. No, you won't be able to make a Neapolitan pizza in your home oven/BBQ/microwave. Yes, you need an oven like this or the Ooni or Rocbox or whatever. Although the two propane options were a bit cheaper, the added convenience of never having to deal with propane and being able to cook the pizzas inside won me over with the Breville.

I've found the easiest and best recipe for dough here: https://www.thursdaynightpizza.com/neap ... zza-dough/

I double the ingredients and use half 00 flour (Caputo or the PC brand), half standard white flour. Use the method in the recipe that calls for a 24 hour room temperature ferment, then shape into balls around 270 grams and cold ferment for a minimum 24 hours, up to 72 hours, depending on when you want to make your pizza.

For actual baking - use manual mode, crank the bottom and top to max temp, wait another ten minutes after it says it's at temp - then the oven is ready. Get a perforated pizza peel with minimal rice or 00 flour dusting (don't use semolina - it burns under the dough and tastes awful), or do what I do and use a good quality (Costco) parchment paper: trim the edges of the paper around the dough and slide it in under it. The parchment paper will brown and char a bit, but it doesn't leave any taste in the crust and makes for a flawless launch and removal every time, and doesn't stick to the crust.
Great tips there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5362 posts
3403 upvotes
xserverfd wrote: Can an amateur just whip up the dough in 5 minutes without any other equipment like a breadmaker then let it rise for a day and freeze it etc?
yeah, takes 2 minutes and like 4 ingredients to make pizza dough lol

no equipment necessary, other than a bowl.
Jun 27, 2012
954 posts
1909 upvotes
Total gimmick product. Save $1000 and just use an oven like a normal person.
2010-2022 Contest Winnings = $0
Nov 5, 2013
86 posts
34 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
Saukrates wrote: Total gimmick product. Save $1000 and just use an oven like a normal person.
Bless your pour soul, have you ever eaten pizza before
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1720 posts
604 upvotes
Thanks to @nomorepenniestopinch for the pizza dough recipe. I tried it tonight and it turned out great for the first attempt. This was done on a cast iron pizza tray heated to 550F. I split the dough in to 1/3 to make on my BBQ Bakerstone but decided to try on the cast iron first. It's a keeper! Crust was extra crispy with a great crunch.
1633992922792.jpg
Jan 11, 2009
181 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga
Tough sell. My oven cooks a really good pizza. You also don't want to eat pizza everyday.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1911 posts
689 upvotes
So since this has turned into a pizza discussion, I have a question. If my pizza is all cooked and crispy on top but the bottom is not crispy (more like an uncooked tortilla lol), what should I do? I put the pizza on a parchment paper and then on an aluminum sheet and it's at 550f convection bake. (It's brown cuz I am making a whole wheat pizza)
Images
  • 20211011_200534.jpg
  • 20211011_174925.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5362 posts
3403 upvotes
jessicacha wrote: So since this has turned into a pizza discussion, I have a question. If my pizza is all cooked and crispy on top but the bottom is not crispy (more like an uncooked tortilla lol), what should I do? I put the pizza on a parchment paper and then on an aluminum sheet and it's at 550f convection bake. (It's brown cuz I am making a whole wheat pizza)
How high of a rack are you using? My guess would be your rack position is too high.

Also, try preheating what you're cooking it on, ie the pan, and slide the parchment paper onto it in the oven. But, if I'm not mistaken, cooking on a baking sheet will result in softer crust. try a pizza stone or something
Last edited by hvc on Oct 11th, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2992 posts
1540 upvotes
Kingston
jessicacha wrote: So since this has turned into a pizza discussion, I have a question. If my pizza is all cooked and crispy on top but the bottom is not crispy (more like an uncooked tortilla lol), what should I do? I put the pizza on a parchment paper and then on an aluminum sheet and it's at 550f convection bake. (It's brown cuz I am making a whole wheat pizza)
Use a preheated pizza stone instead!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2992 posts
1540 upvotes
Kingston
totalcool wrote: *Use a preheated pizza steel instead!
Use what you like, but mine is made of stone. Takes a little while to preheat though or it won’t do anything for the underside of your pizza. Absolutely zero issues making Neapolitan pizza on a 600F BBQ with it.
Sep 8, 2019
84 posts
63 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Oh my god.... I've been trying to make the pizza on the pan and slide it into the Ooni and it ALWAYS sticks. I'm an idiot.

Do you make the pizza ON the wax paper then just slide it into the Ooni?
What I've been doing is stretching the dough ball, and then once stretched, take a large pinch of either AP or 00, then spread it all over the shaped pizza. Flip it onto your peel, then top with sauce/toppings. give it a wiggle to make sure its loose and launch. No issues with burning flour, no stickage. works every time for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6598 posts
2784 upvotes
Toronto
BubbaSPX wrote: Tough sell. My oven cooks a really good pizza. You also don't want to eat pizza everyday.
YOU DON'T KNOW ME
Dec 1, 2019
79 posts
91 upvotes
Greater Vancouver
mdoto wrote: How much are ingredients on a weekly basis? Need dough, sauce and ingredients. So roughly $5 per. Does that not almost equal to the cardboard ones in the frozen section? Obviously you get amazeballs pizzas
you pay for freshness, better taste, and higher quality ingredients. i don't understand why the frozen ones are even being compared.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6016 posts
5376 upvotes
Ottawa
applerobbie wrote: you pay for freshness, better taste, and higher quality ingredients. i don't understand why the frozen ones are even being compared.
Frozen pizzas have their place, but the fresh ones are literally untouchable compared to frozen.
Sep 23, 2007
308 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
If anyone downtown Toronto is looking for one of these and interested in saving on some tax, DM me. I like my Ooni more and spending almost $2k on two pizza ovens is a bit excessive so I'll be selling my Pizzaiolo (haven't even registered for the warranty yet).
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2569 posts
3606 upvotes
applerobbie wrote: you pay for freshness, better taste, and higher quality ingredients. i don't understand why the frozen ones are even being compared.
Am eating a frozen pizza as i read this thread...