Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Bay

Breville The Smart Grinder Pro - $216/Bambino - $288/Bambino Plus - $396

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 7:21 pm
Sr. Member
Jan 21, 2007
512 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Great grinder, I bought it to replace my Vario and it performs just as well if not better.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 13, 2011
512 posts
163 upvotes
How does the Smart Grinder Pro compare to the Baratza Encore or Vario?
Sr. Member
Jul 4, 2007
542 posts
537 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
Zephyranthes wrote: How does the Smart Grinder Pro compare to the Baratza Encore or Vario?
Really depends on what you want to use it for.

Spoiler:
Baratza Encore - Not made for espresso. Consistent results otherwise.
Breville Smart Grinder Pro - Can grind espresso - barely. Will have variation in grind size. Jack of all, master of none.

Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1091 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
logikol wrote: Really depends on what you want to use it for.

Spoiler:
Baratza Encore - Not made for espresso. Consistent results otherwise.
Breville Smart Grinder Pro - Can grind espresso - barely. Will have variation in grind size. Jack of all, master of none.

But the breville smart grinder can grind as well, if not better for drip coffee. So I think it edges out the barzata. I've seen, and tasted both in action. I owned the Encore, and had a friend who owned the Breville. I think it was worth the extra $50 he paid.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15482 posts
10141 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Jruuu wrote: But the breville smart grinder can grind as well, if not better for drip coffee. So I think it edges out the barzata. I've seen, and tasted both in action. I owned the Encore, and had a friend who owned the Breville. I think it was worth the extra $50 he paid.
The grinds through an SGP at the espresso setting are not as consistent as a dedicated espresso grinder.

Image

And will cause unwanted channelling through a bottomless PF which increases unwanted flavours outside the sweet spot. However it can be mitigated by declumping/mixing using WDT tools, and I'm sure plenty of people are ok using an SGP with a pressurized PF for lack of fine tuning taste.

Image
Jr. Member
May 13, 2013
183 posts
216 upvotes
Montréal
Damn, just missed this sale
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4550 posts
1002 upvotes
Toronto
YannF39839 wrote: Are high end grinders really doing a far better job that my 14$ prime day Hamilton Beach grinder or it's just another audiophile 600$ 1 foot golden plated cable that don't give a better sound?
Much better job. The question is whether you need the consistency and fine grind or not.

If you're making espresso, it's pretty much essential to have at least a decent burr grinder to get the grinds consistently fine enough for brewing. If you're doing drip or french press coffee, it's much less essential, and you can get away with a cheap grinder.

This grinder is very well suited to go alongside the Breville espresso makers, for example.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
1746 posts
1806 upvotes
I found this Delonghi Dedica ec680 for $279.99. It's a direct competitor to the Bambino

https://www.costco.ca/de'longhi-dedica- ... langId=-24

I just picked up the EC685-white for $327 https://www.amazon.ca/Delonghi-EC685W-A ... B072X2YD2Q

This is an pretty good deal if you got the Bambino for $288
Last edited by D0ntgiveajack on Aug 20th, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wallet safe...

Top