The Bay

Global Seido 7-Piece Stainless Steel Knife & Maple Block Set $299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2021 2:44 pm
Sep 26, 2015
47 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Bought a set. Thanks everyone for your help.
Any recommendations for a knife sharpener to go with this?
Dec 28, 2011
17 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks bought a set as well, at this price I couldn’t resist.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2187 posts
2064 upvotes
Montréal
Doyvidlah wrote: Bought a set. Thanks everyone for your help.
Recommend a ceramic honing rod instead
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15122 posts
9538 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Doyvidlah wrote: Bought a set. Thanks everyone for your help.
Global MinoSharp 3
Aug 2, 2008
40 posts
29 upvotes
Canada
metabrah wrote: I took a look at the picture on The Bay's listing as closely as I could...

The 8" chef's knife is definitely the G-2
The 5" chef's knife appears to be the GS-3
The bread knife looks like it's the G-9 (The Bay listing says its 8", whereas the Global USA website lists it as 8.5" - they don't have an 8" bread knife in the Classic line)
The 5.5" vegetable knife appears to be the GS-5
The 4.25" utility knife appears to be the GSF-22

I can't seem to match up/find the 3" paring knife on the Global USA website.
Just picked up the set. You are bang on. And the paring knife is the GSF-15.
Jul 25, 2008
19 posts
London
How are these Global knives compared to Zwilling Four Star knives? I currently have those but debating picking these up?
Dec 22, 2011
245 posts
153 upvotes
London
D.O. wrote: How are these Global knives compared to Zwilling Four Star knives? I currently have those but debating picking these up?
I don't own either, but from doing some quick research online these are generally considered to be comparable knives albeit with different characteristics, with the Global knives being possibly slightly to moderately better overall. Unless you just don't like the Zwilling knives you own, I can't imagine that there is enough "upgrade" to justify buying an entire replacement set. The main differences are in the fact that the Global knives are a stamped steel with a thinner blade, so they are much lighter/nimbler and have a smaller handle versus the Zwilling which are forged steel and thicker/bulkier with a much bigger handle. The steel itself is of similar hardness in both, but the Global knives have more chromium (18% vs. 15%) which means that they should be more stain resistant. The other major difference is in the edge grind: the Global knives are ground to a straight-edge (which means that they should offer better edge retention) versus the Zwilling which are ground to a bevelled-edge (which results in a stronger, more durable edge).

So the edge and weight/handle are the main differences. The Zwilling are German construction which generally profile bulkiness, but again this is a personal preference thing as lots of people actually like a heavy/robust feeling knife. The Zwilling should be much better in terms of hacking through bones or other hard/dense materials due to the added weight and edge durability. I think that this is one area where the Global knives are supposed to lack, but a lot of people will tell you that you should just buy a meat cleaver for these types of tasks regardless, and that it doesn't make sense to risk the blade on a high-end knife on tasks like hacking through bones.
Aug 28, 2007
912 posts
432 upvotes
Vancouver
Ved12345 wrote: Is anyone still able to use the save promo code?
Doesn't work for me. Looks like this thread was started last month unfortunately. Was excited to buy this until the code didn't work lol
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2068 posts
2894 upvotes
St Clements, MB
ForbiddenX wrote: Doesn't work for me. Looks like this thread was started last month unfortunately.
The last Spend More, Save More Event offering $100 off ended on Monday, Sept 6th. I don't know why the OP didn't expire this thread.