Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Bay

Zojirushi NP-NWC18XB 10 Cup Pressure IH Rice Cooker $539.99 or $485.99 with Bay Rewards VIP Code

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2022 5:08 pm
Aug 22, 2013
78 posts
28 upvotes
Victoria
I've seen the difference in rice cooked from a cheap black and decker compared to instant pot pressure cooker and then to the Zojirushi fuzzy tech but how is this one better than regular pressure cookers and the classic Zoji?
Dec 19, 2006
852 posts
851 upvotes
Vancouver
jzmtl wrote: Snob galore lol.

Here is somebody who actually tested them back to back.

That video actually laid out perfectly why the Zojirushi is worth it for a lot of people who eat rice regularly (especially large families). The rice is much more consistent, even if you mess up the rice to water ratio (which, with him using his own method instead of the zojirushi measuring cup, he might have). He even mentioned with the cheaper rice cooker, the top layer of rice will have a much different texture than the bottom layer (that top layer of rice was my grandmother's mortal enemy with her old rice cooker). Some people are really picky about that. I definitely remember the uncomfortable sensation in my mouth the last time I ate rice someone cooked in an instant pot.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4224 posts
3054 upvotes
Montreal
ocisnicola wrote: That video actually laid out perfectly why the Zojirushi is worth it for a lot of people who eat rice regularly (especially large families). The rice is much more consistent, even if you mess up the rice to water ratio (which, with him using his own method instead of the zojirushi measuring cup, he might have). He even mentioned with the cheaper rice cooker, the top layer of rice will have a much different texture than the bottom layer (that top layer of rice was my grandmother's mortal enemy with her old rice cooker). Some people are really picky about that. I definitely remember the uncomfortable sensation in my mouth the last time I ate rice someone cooked in an instant pot.
He said it's a bit better, not much more. He lived in China for years so I'd trust him to be familiar with rice cooking.

So it's as usual, 5x the price for 15% improvement, for me I'll stick with my instant pot for now, the middle priced option is almost always the best price to performance ratio.
Aug 7, 2005
572 posts
64 upvotes
Looking for a Zoji MIJ rice cooker but don’t need a family sized capacity… any of those on sale?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
4116 posts
4017 upvotes
Toronto
hsiaolunwang606689 wrote: You obviously don't know about their $1K Zojirushi ZENWJTF18-TA
It better able to make phone calls and launch tiktok…
To the moon
Oct 9, 2010
48 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking at the Zojirushi IH rice cookers (specifically the NP-HCC18 model). Why isn't the steaming baskets included in any of the IH cookers? It's important that I can steam meat at the same time as cooking rice. Is this still possible with the IH cookers? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1030 posts
344 upvotes
I am sure it tastes 10x better, because it's 10x more expensive.

personally, I have tried different cookers, but I had to threw them all away after a few years because the coating all started to peel even the cookers are fine. don't see much different. now I am just using pot, don't see much different.

I just put hot water in the pot and turn on low heat or turn it off. done in 5 minutes. can't tell the difference in texture than rice cooker.
Nov 22, 2016
119 posts
142 upvotes
I love how people complain about how expensive this rice cooker is but are the same people shelling out thousands for a BBQ that they use 3 times a year.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2019
401 posts
369 upvotes
Just an update: got the rice cooker and made first batch of rice and its great Face Savouring Delicious Food No complaints

Compared to my outgoing cuckoo the pressure release is pretty gentle throughout the cooking process.

It also takes up less space on the counter and is lighter too.

Overall very happy with it!

Mods can you move this to expired deals?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6845 posts
1197 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you are very picky about rice and in this price range, forget Zoji. Zoji, with its fuzzy logic, artificial intelligence, big data, automation, whatever, is too gimmicky. Purists (the type of people who would spend this kind of money for rice cooker) use something much simpler, like a Vermicular Musui-Kamado that allows the user to fully express their creativity and skills in making the prefect rice the traditional way. Simple Musui cast iron pot (retains heat to help keep rice fluffier and fully extract aroma in brown rice) is much more sturdier than Zoji, easier to clean (enamel coated) and can be used on gas or electric stoves. It is precision machined to help retain steam (better seal than Staub or Le Creuset). The Kamado induction cooker features 3D induction for more even all around heat.

Nothing wrong with rice made in a $15 pot (that's how I learned to cook rice - kept one eye on the watch and one eye on the pot) or $40 steamer (got me thru university days). But if you want to pay this kind of money for rice cooker, you are obviously in search of a higher level. Might as well get the artisan tool instead of mass market electronic gadget.
May 20, 2007
53 posts
227 upvotes
I have been using the 5.5 cups model for over a year; it makes great rice just like most zojirushi rice cooker. Not sure if this applies to the 10 cup model but for me the worst part is that you have to clean the extra parts in the lid every single time; otherwise the build up behind the lid will cake up and become very difficult to remove. For this reason I do not recommend this rice cooker especially if you cook rice daily. I would trade ultimate taste of this rice cooker for convenience of not having to clean extra parts in other less expensive rice cooker. I recommend potential buyer to check out the lid design before purchasing.
Jul 1, 2011
114 posts
89 upvotes
My only complain about my Zojirushi cooker is that it takes too long to make rice like about 1h or 45mins at the quickest setting
[OP]
Aug 15, 2019
401 posts
369 upvotes
wilsonever wrote: I have been using the 5.5 cups model for over a year; it makes great rice just like most zojirushi rice cooker. Not sure if this applies to the 10 cup model but for me the worst part is that you have to clean the extra parts in the lid every single time; otherwise the build up behind the lid will cake up and become very difficult to remove. For this reason I do not recommend this rice cooker especially if you cook rice daily. I would trade ultimate taste of this rice cooker for convenience of not having to clean extra parts in other less expensive rice cooker. I recommend potential buyer to check out the lid design before purchasing.
The 10 cup capacity not just this model in particular is alot better when it comes to the build up you mentioned since the water level during cooking process rarely reaches the top lid part. It has been like that with my previous rice cooker as well.
Nov 15, 2022
2 posts
No doubt it tastes better but skeptical on the price with ONLY one year waranty. What if it broken down after a year or two. Wouldn’t wanna spend $500 on a rice cooker every year…
[OP]
Aug 15, 2019
401 posts
369 upvotes
Hamburger2 wrote: No doubt it tastes better but skeptical on the price with ONLY one year waranty. What if it broken down after a year or two. Wouldn’t wanna spend $500 on a rice cooker every year…
You wont have to as these things last a long time my outgoing one lasted 14 years :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3127 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
InvaIid wrote: What is the advantage over a sub-100$ rice cooker? I'm not into rice a lot, I eat some once or twice a month, so I would not invest $500+ on a cooker, but I am curious as to how it's better or what is different
Assuming you're just cooking rice, there's not much different (assuming equivalent creature comforts like heating, and a timer). You CAN taste a difference between it and a cheaper unit (many YouTube videos), but that doesn't mean it's actually better, just that YOU like it better. This widely only applies to plain rice; once it's flavoured, it obviously tastes like the flavouring. Had this conversation with someone about "Better than bouillon" that I recently purchased and did not like. My issue is that I tried to use it as a replacement for bouillon, for which it is very bad. However, it's not bouillon, it's "better than". Like steak is better than hot dogs. It doesn't really do what bouillon does, it does another thing that people like. A lot of the draw of these things is that it is expected to make rice the way you're supposed to like it, meaning it either makes rice the way your family makes it, or you've been taught to like it because your $500 machine makes it that way.

Now, added features like a timer are really nice. Seems minimal, but these types of small things can make something stupid a lot more useful. You also get a $50 pressure cooker, so you save space of 2 items ... but not really, since a $50 pressure cooker can also cook rice.

There's also e-peen. I have a Kitchenaid mixer. It's nice, but there's lots of cheaper mixers that are as good for my purposes (possibly even better, actually ... thing is heavy to lug around). I wanted one tho, and it looks nice in my "prep" kitchen. It's also quiet, which I like.

If a $100 rice cooker makes rice for your tastes, this $500 one will not make it any better. It mostly just makes rice making idiot proof, for which you can accomplish yourself with a few batches of practice. Having said that, I bought a Zojirushi ZCC10 rice cooker for this exact reason; I keep cooking random rice, and I screw it up because I'm an idiot. Machine allows an idiot to make acceptable rice. My neighbour makes equivalent/superior rice with a pot.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3127 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
MuffinHombre wrote: You wont have to as these things last a long time my outgoing one lasted 14 years :)
14 years seems REALLY short for something to last, especially a device with such basic function.

I think his point is that a 1 year warranty means the company expects the appliance to last about 1 year before the failure rates from age start climbing. Major kitchen appliances are notoriously fail prone, but even they have 5+ year warranty.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2019
401 posts
369 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: 14 years seems REALLY short for something to last, especially a device with such basic function.

I think his point is that a 1 year warranty means the company expects the appliance to last about 1 year before the failure rates from age start climbing. Major kitchen appliances are notoriously fail prone, but even they have 5+ year warranty.
14 years of ... pressure cooking not "basic function" is not a "REALLY short" time :)

I used it few times pretty much every week since getting it so its done its job well and for a long time.

there is always a repair option but it would not be cheap since my old one lost the pressure cooking ability.

It still worked as a "electric rice cooker" but yeh once you get used to what these IH Pressure rice cookers are able to produce there is no going back for daily rice eaters like myself.
Dec 15, 2017
95 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
SquareCube wrote:
Would I buy this rice cooker? Sure, rice is a staple in my family. We got over 100 bags of rice in our basement. Bulk buy when on sale.
A true "Rice Bucket" here. Cooked Rice🪣
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes