[The Bay] Zwilling Two-Pack Marquina Non-stick Frying Pans $54.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 5:14 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2723 posts
621 upvotes
Dang

I bought a The Rock ceramic non-stick pan last week, these seem like a better deal

Ah well
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1618 posts
727 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 11:49 am
That seems like best of both world.. I'm now in the process of trying to replace all my cookware to other materials that don't use the non-stick coating.
what other materials are you talking about?
Got that Zoomer account!
Jun 16, 2019
131 posts
273 upvotes
west as
emmpeethree wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 4:11 am
Doesn't seem like a reputable source for information...

These seem far more reputable and conclude the risk is negligible, in fact, we get higher exposure to those chemicals on a daily basis from sources other than from cooking materials

https://tibbs.unc.edu/ask-a-toxicologist-is-it-safe-to-use-teflon-pans/ Fully respect the opinions of a toxicologist peer reviewed article. It does list an EWG link in its Other Resources so it can't be a totally disreputable source of info
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... pans-safe/ Ahh yes, the Nutrition Diva. The go-to source for all things toxicology.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/fi ... 4.2018.pdf Meh, not so sure the EPA can even be touted as a reliable source anymore. But that's a larger debate. See: Pruitt, Scott / Wheeler, Andrew

"How are people exposed to GenX chemicals and PFBS?
People can be potentially exposed to GenX chemicals and PFBS through a number of different
pathways, including drinking water, inhaling air, and consuming food wrapped in PFAS containing
products. "

the EPA article doesn't even mention food cooking/preparation as a pathway... See somment above

sorry, but the foil hats (and stainless steel cookware) won't protect you!
Frankly, odds are you'll live a perfectly full life using non-stick cookware properly and actually just be killed by a lightning strike. I'm not suggesting you're going to wake up with a grapefruit growing out of your neck because you cooked your eggs on non-stick. Like the Tibbs blog says, using non-stick pans is relatively safe (while half its referenced sources are 43+ years old). And yes, we're exposed to these chemicals and others merely walking down the street. It's just my personal preference to avoid the risk when I can. Slap my ass and call me Erin Brokovich but I'm not the one who fined DuPont $16.5mil for failing to disclose the dangers of PFOA.

Nice deal on the pans though.
Nov 10, 2003
495 posts
86 upvotes
Richmond
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 10:25 am
my wife is harassing me about getting stainless pans instead of nonstick. I told her that food usually sticks to those but she doesnt believe me. whats the consensus on stainless vs these nonstick ones for ease of cooking? (i dont want to hear about how teflon is bad ect)
I cook chicken breast a lot (I mean a lot). Used to use non-stick pans until I bought a All-Clad D3 stainless steel pan few months ago, now I can cook chicken breast without sticking and it is easy to clean too.

1. Put the pan on high heat for 2-3 minutes
2. While heating the pan, make sure the chicken breast (or other meat) is dry (very important), then seasoned.
3. Sprinkle few drop of water into the pan, if they dance around, it is hot enough (after a few times and you will know how long it takes to heat up the pan, you can skip this step)
4. Add oil (just need a thin layer of oil to cover the pan), wait until the oil has some kind of wave pattern.
5. Add the meat, and DON'T move it. Let it sear for two minutes, lift the corner of the meat to see if it stick, if you can lift it up without any stickiness, then flip over and sear the other side for 2 minutes.
6. Reduce to low heat and cook each side for couple more minutes until done (depends on how thick the meat is)
7. After finish cooking, the pan should have other brownish stuff which is good for making sauce, or if you don't need it, just pour a cup of hot water into it and let it sit. It should be very easy to clean after dinner.
Jun 7, 2007
713 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill
davext wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 7:48 am
Any advice on these All Clad pans? Also on sale for $69.99 although the regular price is not as high, and you get 2 pans too. PFOA free

https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-2-piece ... ad+pan&N=0
Can anyone chime in on these All Clad pans? What is the consensus on the quality of them, and of All Clad in general?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1388 posts
449 upvotes
North Vancouver
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 11:57 am
A carbon steel wok (for example)
I've switched to carbon steel and cast iron pans... I've broken them in nicely with seasoning and they'll last a lifetime. I don't even use my All-Clad non stick for eggs anymore because I love the carbon steel pans.
Jun 12, 2019
10 posts
12 upvotes
Sunmax wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 12:18 pm
I cook chicken breast a lot (I mean a lot). Used to use non-stick pans until I bought a All-Clad D3 stainless steel pan few months ago, now I can cook chicken breast without sticking and it is easy to clean too.

1. Put the pan on high heat for 2-3 minutes
2. While heating the pan, make sure the chicken breast (or other meat) is dry (very important), then seasoned.
3. Sprinkle few drop of water into the pan, if they dance around, it is hot enough (after a few times and you will know how long it takes to heat up the pan, you can skip this step)
4. Add oil (just need a thin layer of oil to cover the pan), wait until the oil has some kind of wave pattern.
5. Add the meat, and DON'T move it. Let it sear for two minutes, lift the corner of the meat to see if it stick, if you can lift it up without any stickiness, then flip over and sear the other side for 2 minutes.
6. Reduce to low heat and cook each side for couple more minutes until done (depends on how thick the meat is)
7. After finish cooking, the pan should have other brownish stuff which is good for making sauce, or if you don't need it, just pour a cup of hot water into it and let it sit. It should be very easy to clean after dinner.
That brownish stuff is called fond - ingredient of the food gods for making a delicious pan sauce. Never throw out the fond Winking Face Great instructions otherwise!

Search for "Basics with Babish Chicken Breast" on YouTube for some great instructions on how to make great pan sauce
Mar 23, 2018
79 posts
92 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 3:08 pm
Can anyone chime in on these All Clad pans? What is the consensus on the quality of them, and of All Clad in general?
All-Clad is a premium line of products. I have a few of their products and they are all great. I have two of their 12" stainless steel pans with lids and they are a joy to cook with. Last time I was in Mumofuku I noticed that their chefs were using the same pans.

If you buy stainless steel pans, also purchase Barkeepers Friend, which is a cleaning product. It will make all of your stainless steel and glass surfaces look brand new within 1 minute and a light scrub. It is a miracle worker and I use it on my pans as well as glass stove top and oven door.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1388 posts
449 upvotes
North Vancouver
+1 barkeepers friend.

Also vinegar and baking soda works great too!

liftinpeanuts wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 6:12 pm
If you buy stainless steel pans, also purchase Barkeepers Friend, which is a cleaning product. It will make all of your stainless steel and glass surfaces look brand new within 1 minute and a light scrub. It is a miracle worker and I use it on my pans as well as glass stove top and oven door.
Nov 8, 2012
435 posts
225 upvotes
London, ON
Thanks OP! We had an HBC gift card we almost forgot about and were able to use for this.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2708 posts
305 upvotes
davext wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 7:48 am
Any advice on these All Clad pans? Also on sale for $69.99 although the regular price is not as high, and you get 2 pans too. PFOA free

https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-2-piece ... ad+pan&N=0
lorreilme wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 7:40 pm
Wonder how good are these All Clad pans as well

The All Clads have a lot of crevices where the handle meets the pan that makes it hard to clean eventually. They are also very heavy and ended up sticking much quicker than a Zwilling set we had, even though we took better care of the All Clads.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Dec 25, 2012
623 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
What makes these better than those 2 pack lagostina at costxo?
JS