Expired Hot Deals

[The Brick] JBL Link 500 "Smart" Speaker - $249 Price Error???

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 11:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2804 posts
2395 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[The Brick] JBL Link 500 "Smart" Speaker - $249 Price Error???

I was looking for simple active speaker with Chromecast build in for kid.
Found this JBL Link 500 Speaker (With Google Assistant) at The Brick for $249.99

Possible price error? Everywhere are selling $599, which mean is almost 59% off.
Plus, it didn't mention any "Sale" on their website
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
11 replies
Dec 8, 2004
780 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Same price at Furniture.ca.
Oct 29, 2010
256 posts
308 upvotes
Quebec
Naw just found 2 canadian sites with the same price. I guess theyre werent selling any at 500$. It way too expensive for what it is.
250 is interresting.
Apr 11, 2020
151 posts
209 upvotes
Looks like this is clearance of an oldish product. Looks like it came out almost 3 yrs ago and didn't get much traction. $599 was likely the suggested retail ($400 usd). The fact that it's no longer being sold by Amazon, Bestbuy, Walmart, etc. in both the US and Canada likely means it's discontinued. This thing is also pretty big at about 16" x 10" x 9", it better sound good for that footprint. Personally for this price (the sale price, not the ridiculous old retail price) I'd like it to have a battery and fold down handle for portability around the yard, beach, camping, etc.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11667 posts
3060 upvotes
Realistically, if you're only looking for a Google smart device speaker, you can get the Nest mini for $40... or the Google Home for $70 or so or even the Nest Audio for $129, and would probably sound as good if not better. People are always drawn by the brand name JBL, Monster, Beats etc when there are many alternatives that are much cheaper.
got the Harman Kardon Astra speaker from Bestbuy for $50 as an open box clearance, perfect condition, sounds great, but no internal battery, so you have to have it plugged in. Apparently they say it's worth $400 new... Superstore was selling it for $100 at Christmas
Point is, you can get great sounding smart speakers for less than half of the sale price of that JBL
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10756 posts
1916 upvotes
I love my Nest Hub, but the JBL Flip has very impressive sound, very worth the price tag (I paid around $80 + taxes). I don't know if the Link 500 has good sound though.
jackass_ca wrote: Realistically, if you're only looking for a Google smart device speaker, you can get the Nest mini for $40... or the Google Home for $70 or so or even the Nest Audio for $129, and would probably sound as good if not better. People are always drawn by the brand name JBL, Monster, Beats etc when there are many alternatives that are much cheaper.
got the Harman Kardon Astra speaker from Bestbuy for $50 as an open box clearance, perfect condition, sounds great, but no internal battery, so you have to have it plugged in. Apparently they say it's worth $400 new... Superstore was selling it for $100 at Christmas
Point is, you can get great sounding smart speakers for less than half of the sale price of that JBL
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2804 posts
2395 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jackass_ca wrote: Realistically, if you're only looking for a Google smart device speaker, you can get the Nest mini for $40... or the Google Home for $70 or so or even the Nest Audio for $129, and would probably sound as good if not better. People are always drawn by the brand name JBL, Monster, Beats etc when there are many alternatives that are much cheaper.
But what you compare is completely different product line , much much smaller device.
JBL Link 500 is more similar to Google Home Max.

To be honest, if Google still have Chromecast Audio, I will just get that and setup with any Active Speaker, but sadly Google discount it, so right now options are very limited.
I really don't want one that have MIC.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Jul 4, 2012
333 posts
134 upvotes
Qc
Yes price error. The error is on the regular price!
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11667 posts
3060 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: But what you compare is completely different product line , much much smaller device.
JBL Link 500 is more similar to Google Home Max.

To be honest, if Google still have Chromecast Audio, I will just get that and setup with any Active Speaker, but sadly Google discount it, so right now options are very limited.
I really don't want one that have MIC.
The Astra is HUGE, and loud, and has Alexa built in. And the others are smaller devices, yes, you said you wanted for a kid. If it's for a smart speaker, the regular Google home if you can find them, has great sound and function. The others don't sound as great, but they are also not directed at an audio market, more of a smart assistant market.

It all really depends on what you are looking for more... if you want both, you can still find great sounding devices at much less than $250
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Sep 26, 2012
425 posts
154 upvotes
Thornhill
The object itself does not have a 599 look.