$98 Chromebook! for Bell Customers

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 11:11 am
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
47 posts
90 upvotes

[The Source] $98 Chromebook! for Bell Customers

If you are a bell customer (or know someone who is) there is a basic chromebook for $98.
Regular price is 299, but that is ridiculous for this laptop.

Display: 11.6" HD LCD Display
Processor: 1.80 GHz AMD A6-9220C Dual Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB of DDR4 SDRAM
Storage: 32GB eMMC
Operating System: Chrome OS

It's not going to wow you on any specs, other than price.
chrome.jpg
Thread Summary
from https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/BellAdvantagesDetails

Just for Bell Advantages customers
Get this Chromebook for under $100 when you sign up with Bell Advantages
Learn More or Register
67 replies
Mar 19, 2019
136 posts
94 upvotes
Quebec
How is the learning curve on a Chromebook for someone who is not tech savvy and have been using a Windows computer for a long time? Someone like my 70 years old Mother?
Virgin 25$ 5GB Unlimited / FIdo 35$ 9GB Unlimited
Aug 12, 2010
958 posts
775 upvotes
YannF39839 wrote: How is the learning curve on a Chromebook for someone who is not tech savvy and have been using a Windows computer for a long time? Someone like my 70 years old Mother?
it's a web browser built to be kid proof. Perfect for a senior except for screen size
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6070 posts
2935 upvotes
Toronto
YannF39839 wrote: How is the learning curve on a Chromebook for someone who is not tech savvy and have been using a Windows computer for a long time? Someone like my 70 years old Mother?
If they basically just use the Chrome browser, there's hardly any learning curve. That's basically what this is. Most Chromebooks can also use the Google Play Store, but as most Android apps don't work well on tablets let alone Chromebooks, it's not as big of a benefit as you'd think.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
47 posts
90 upvotes
I would say, if you are used to a mobile device it's very steep (fast learning) as the UI is pretty similar.
For most basic users the transition from windows will be simple enough. if it's mostly used for social media, emails, and web browsing the transition will be virtually instant.

I thought I would have a hard time transitioning, and after a few weeks of helping my kids with schoolwork on chrome, I use both windows and chrome and have no problem.
Oct 2, 2011
505 posts
368 upvotes
London
Don't need another laptop, but (checks notes)

I guess I need another one! Thanks!
Dec 28, 2014
26 posts
1 upvote
It's the simplest version of a laptop that you can buy. If she was going to own a computer of some sort, then this is the easiest computer that someone could use
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6759 posts
3204 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Tempted to get this... just because its 100$ and wanted to try a chromebook. I'm sure at $100 it wouldn't be hard to resell if I don't use it.

Im still using my $100 open box 10.1 inch acer windows 10 tablet with detachable keyboard from like 4 years ago (thesource).

:)
Jul 8, 2021
2 posts
If you are a Bell customer, how do you get this deal? Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3363 posts
1700 upvotes
Airdrie
Ordered 3. Wife is a teacher. I've asked her to see if the school has any way to identify lower-income students.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15322 posts
29052 upvotes
Scarborough
I've been looking into getting the kids Chromebooks for school. I love the price of this one but maybe it'd be worth spending more for something with better specs.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Oct 24, 2010
380 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
i was looking for winter tire deals but bought this too.. bye bye money
Jul 21, 2021
61 posts
154 upvotes
Do Virgin Mobile customers count as Bell customers?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3363 posts
1700 upvotes
Airdrie
TomRFD wrote: I've been looking into getting the kids Chromebooks for school. I love the price of this one but maybe it'd be worth spending more for something with better specs.
IMO specs don't really matter much for a Chromebook, especially for educational use. Only thing I might look for would be screen size/Full HD, and more internal storage is always nice but at $100, this is basically disposable after a couple years.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Aug 26, 2011
13 posts
10 upvotes
This is perfect for travel (whenever that will be for most of us). Used one of these when I was in Europe to quickly book hopper flights, train fares, and last minute restaurant/accommodations. Super light and peace of mind that I wouldn't lose my sh*t if it got stolen.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1282 posts
913 upvotes
I was thinking of using this to replace a 10 year old windows laptop that doesn't get used much. After looking at the processor specs, the old I3 Intel one actually put proforms this AMD. Still tempted though...