Expired Hot Deals

The Source

Acer Aspire A315-54K-37RE 15.6” Laptop with Intel® i3-6006U, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM & Windows 10 - $399

[OP]
Newbie
Nov 27, 2011
50 posts
103 upvotes

[The Source] Acer Aspire A315-54K-37RE 15.6” Laptop with Intel® i3-6006U, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM & Windows 10 - $399

Great Price for an i3 processor with solid state drive. You can also pick up a half price mouse or keyboard to go with it.
Don't forget 1% ebates.

Product Highlights
•Display: 15.6" HD LCD Display (1366 x 768)
•Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-6006U Dual Core Processor
•Memory: 8 GB of DDR4 SDRAM
•Storage: 256GB Solid State Drive
•Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 520 integrated graphics
•Operating System: Windows 10 S
21 replies
Sr. Member
May 1, 2019
582 posts
2224 upvotes
Smithers, BC
What's the difference between Windows 10 S and other versions?
Sr. Member
Apr 18, 2017
806 posts
1668 upvotes
briand1989 wrote: What's the difference between Windows 10 S and other versions?
10 S only lets you use apps off the Windows store. You can upgrade to regular 10. It's pretty ridiculous.
Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2007
205 posts
376 upvotes
Kingston, ON
It's a crappy app-only version of Windows... but don't worry... Microsoft lets you upgrade to the full version for free.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8504 posts
5493 upvotes
Global Village
Good deal, would have been a great deal if it had a full HD display.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Member
Sep 14, 2006
321 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
I like the price but how bad is this display resolution on a 15” screen?

Display: 15.6" HD LCD Display (1366 x 768)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2602 posts
2028 upvotes
GTA
It is now 2020 going into 2021. Many cellphones and tablets are already FHD; so frustrating to see a laptop of 15" still only does 1366 x 768.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Member
User avatar
Dec 23, 2016
270 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
In deed! How much could have cost extra to have a normal resolution screen? Maybe 20-30$ in additional production cost. I would have gladly paid 50$ for a normal resolution screen rather than this crap. With that screen, nowadays, it's practically unusable.
DragOnT wrote: It is now 2020 going into 2021. Many cellphones and tablets are already FHD; so frustrating to see a laptop of 15" still only does 1366 x 768.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14594 upvotes
User131439 wrote: 10 S only lets you use apps off the Windows store. You can upgrade to regular 10. It's pretty ridiculous.
I wouldn't really call it an "upgrade" as more "disabling".
Toggle secure boot off, reboot, toggle it back on, and you're out of S mode.

cleanvibe wrote: I like the price but how bad is this display resolution on a 15” screen?
100% deal breaker for me. I just returned 2 notebooks because of it. The lack of screen real estate is killer for me.
@redflagdealsguy doesn't seem to mind them for some reason.
ReDiva wrote: In deed! How much could have cost extra to have a normal resolution screen? Maybe 20-30$ in additional production cost. I would have gladly paid 50$ for a normal resolution screen rather than this crap. With that screen, nowadays, it's practically unusable.
Think that's bad? Dell put a 10/100 NIC into one of their notebooks this year. 10/100. In 2020. (Maybe 2019).
That's literally like a dollar. Cost cutting is ridiculous.
Amourek wrote: I don't think you should expect a $400 laptop to have a FHD screen.
Why not? Panels aren't that much more relatively speaking. Make it $450 instead.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24367 posts
31290 upvotes
Acer Laptop w/ i3 6006U
PassMark Score: 2269

...

Pass me a Lenovo Thinkpad refurb instead.
death_hawk wrote: 100% deal breaker for me. I just returned 2 notebooks because of it. The lack of screen real estate is killer for me.
@redflagdealsguy doesn't seem to mind them for some reason.
A 2015 / 2016 era 768p panel..... I mean I mind a little.

With regret, this is a tough one to swallow OP. Granted, it's better than the dumpster Chromebooks sold in this price range... but that's not saying much.

Stay blessed, folks.
.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1313 posts
1257 upvotes
This display is a bit outdated, is there any better deal for price<$500 for a basic laptop in the market?
disber wrote: Great Price for an i3 processor with solid state drive. You can also pick up a half price mouse or keyboard to go with it.
Don't forget 1% ebates.

Product Highlights
•Display: 15.6" HD LCD Display (1366 x 768)
•Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-6006U Dual Core Processor
•Memory: 8 GB of DDR4 SDRAM
•Storage: 256GB Solid State Drive
•Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 520 integrated graphics
•Operating System: Windows 10 S
World cup is coming
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1965 posts
1820 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cleanvibe wrote: I like the price but how bad is this display resolution on a 15” screen?

Display: 15.6" HD LCD Display (1366 x 768)
Fine for your mom but not for you
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
chevyz07 wrote: Fine for your mom but not for you
I thought this was a "your mom" joke.. Face With Tears Of Joy but you're right. It's great for my dad. He loves the large icons and font size. I can't stand it.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1313 posts
1257 upvotes
any promotion code from the source that I can use to further reduce the price?
ds2chan wrote: I thought this was a "your mom" joke.. Face With Tears Of Joy but you're right. It's great for my dad. He loves the large icons and font size. I can't stand it.
World cup is coming
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 12, 2017
20069 posts
5765 upvotes
Scarberia
hot if 1080p. can't belive laptops these days are NOT min 1080p smh
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2006
108 posts
88 upvotes
Why not? Panels aren't that much more relatively speaking. Make it $450 instead.
[/quote]

$450 isnt $399.99. That makes a difference at retail.
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2006
108 posts
88 upvotes
Thanks for the recap. This deal looks really good in comparison

At this price most laptops have Celeron or A4 processors and eMMC storage. This is a great buy sub $400.... Chassis measures 0.78" so it not even thick and chunky like most entry level laptops.

I wasn't sure about "S mode" but apparently it can be switched very easily:

Switching out of S mode in Windows 10
On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. ...
On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button.

Top