Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] AKG N700NC Noise Cancelling Headphones 50%+ off ($219.72 with PSP)

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 12:31 am
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2219 posts
974 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
May 16th, 2019 7:28 pm
filtering the bass frequencies makes a big difference on airplanes though.....I'd say the others are worth the extra cost for travelers.

but otherwise it looks pretty solid for the price
These seem to be really bad at very low frequencies (20hz). However, they do reasonably well in 50-500 range (getting close to the Sony in the 100-500), which is the main issue in aircraft cabins.

If you are daily flyer, you might want to spend double the $, but for the casual flyers, the AKG are better choice as they provide superior sound quality (thus offering balance). Again, this is based on the technical tests, but there are many other factors that vary from one individual to another.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2219 posts
974 upvotes
Dave510 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:17 pm
Where have you been for the last 9 months? By most accounts, the Sony 1000XM3 has better noise cancellation than Bose.

As to these headphones. Don't really see the point in ANC headphones is the ANC isn't up to snuff, might as well save money and get regular headphones for less.
Why bother with music at all if Noise Cancelling is the main purpose? Just get the ones that the employees use at the airport by your logic.

Like with everything else in life, most people would need balance - effective NC and great sound quality. But you can always go one extremity or the other. Up to individuals needs.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Oct 12, 2008
908 posts
1501 upvotes
Markham
djredhat wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:39 pm
Why bother with music at all if Noise Cancelling is the main purpose? Just get the ones that the employees use at the airport by your logic.

Like with everything else in life, most people would need balance - effective NC and great sound quality. But you can always go one extremity or the other. Up to individuals needs.
You’re confused about the logics. Good ANC is a necessary but not sufficient condition for ANC headphones, so just noise cancelling itself isn’t enough (it’s boring to sit there and get nothing but silence), but without good ANC it’s pretty pointless.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
djredhat wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:34 pm
These seem to be really bad at very low frequencies (20hz). However, they do reasonably well in 50-500 range (getting close to the Sony in the 100-500), which is the main issue in aircraft cabins.

If you are daily flyer, you might want to spend double the $, but for the casual flyers, the AKG are better choice as they provide superior sound quality (thus offering balance). Again, this is based on the technical tests, but there are many other factors that vary from one individual to another.
I don't know what the spectral distribution of aircraft cabin noise is, but I'd bet it's very wide range easily reaching 20Hz at high amplitudes.

This rtings page is neat in that you can hear the filtering differences but they don't include any airplane noise to test. So it should give you an idea of what the real differences are between the headphones

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests ... ive-active

Annotation 2019-05-16 214155.png
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Getting good rest while on a 8-14 hour flight is priceless, so I'm willing to pay $$$ for the best ANC possible. If it sounds passable, I'm golden. I had been using the Bose QC25 and it worked well. Sound is ok, comfort is unsurpassed, and price is ok ($200). It does the job. Now I have the wireless Sonys and also the Bose (wife gets to choose which, I get the other)

At home, I just use my open wired headphones, no weird ANC or DSP processing to muck with the pristine quality lossless music files. On the go, it's about getting passable sound...the faster I am moving or the noisier the surrounding, the less I care about sound quality. I'm listening to lossy files or streaming, and mostly I am still enjoying the music even if the sound quality is only half as good as my home earphones
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1575 posts
451 upvotes
Dave510 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:17 pm
Where have you been for the last 9 months? By most accounts, the Sony 1000XM3 has better noise cancellation than Bose.

As to these headphones. Don't really see the point in ANC headphones is the ANC isn't up to snuff, might as well save money and get regular headphones for less.
My point is it took that long for Sony to come out with something that's comparable. Bose has this technology for a very long time. I don't think it's that complicated compare to what China has replicate in the past.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2219 posts
974 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:43 pm
I don't know what the spectral distribution of aircraft cabin noise is, but I'd bet it's very wide range easily reaching 20Hz at high amplitudes.

This rtings page is neat in that you can hear the filtering differences but they don't include any airplane noise to test. So it should give you an idea of what the real differences are between the headphones

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests ... ive-active

Annotation 2019-05-16 214155.png
Their detailed frequency curve is more useful than some general bass, mid and high range score, let alone general score. Anyone with 3rd grade math would know that the score can be skewed by a couple of awkward values in the range, especially as it seems it is not weighted.

Just as example, below is a comparison between highly scored in terms of ANC urBeats3 (8.2) vs AKG (6.8). Anyone with grade 1 can easily see that the highly rated urBeats3 actually perform worse in the 50-500hz range.
EE7AED29-9169-468D-B094-284F63E4AC41.jpeg
And if noise is all you care about without any consideration about quality of sound, just get a Set of MOLDEX PURA-FIT 6800 FOAM EARPLUGS for 10 cents lol.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
tcjsqls wrote:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
djredhat wrote:
May 17th, 2019 1:46 pm
Their detailed frequency curve is more useful than some general bass, mid and high range score, let alone general score. Anyone with 3rd grade math would know that the score can be skewed by a couple of awkward values in the range, especially as it seems it is not weighted.

Just as example, below is a comparison between highly scored in terms of ANC urBeats3 (8.2) vs AKG (6.8). Anyone with grade 1 can easily see that the highly rated urBeats3 actually perform worse in the 50-500hz range.
The numeric ratings are a bit misleading I agree, and it's useful to look at the detailed graphs, The AKG misses out on the 20-50 Hz range, the urBeats in the 100-120 range. Overall the AKG isn't as bad as the numeric rating suggests.
djredhat wrote:
And if noise is all you care about without any consideration about quality of sound, just get a Set of MOLDEX PURA-FIT 6800 FOAM EARPLUGS for 10 cents lol.
no. The whole purpose of ANC is to be able the hear the content clearly. And earplugs are super uncomfortable anyway, one of the reasons I never use my Etymotics ER4S which has amazing isolation without any ANC tomfoolery.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1594 posts
493 upvotes
BC
djredhat wrote:

EE7AED29-9169-468D-B094-284F63E4AC41.jpeg

What grade 1 and grade 3 kids would this be? Hyperboled a little too far...
Koodo: $40/5GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Apr 21, 2014
23 posts
63 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Hey folks. So I received these and have to say the bass anc is terrible. High and mid frequency are “ok”. The H501 that I paid around $25bucks for are even better than these at anc imo.
However they sound great for music and have a balanced clean soundstage. Fit well and are comfortable.

Regards.