Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] AKG Y500 On-Ear Wireless Headphones $59.96 ($140 off regular price)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 7:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2008
116 posts
41 upvotes

[The Source] AKG Y500 On-Ear Wireless Headphones $59.96 ($140 off regular price)

The source has the AKG Y500 on sale right now for $59.96 in blue and the black colour is available for $79.96

Visions has these for $199.99 so works out to a little over $60 + tax after price match for the black pair.

Reviews look very solid:
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/akg ... ess-review
24 replies
Sep 19, 2017
663 posts
523 upvotes
Moncton
I've had the Costco version of these for over a year and have been reasonably happy with them. @ $99 they were a decent deal, @ $60 they're a steal.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
[OP]
Oct 16, 2008
116 posts
41 upvotes
sswilson wrote: I've had the Costco version of these for over a year and have been reasonably happy with them. @ $99 they were a decent deal, @ $60 they're a steal.
I just got back from Visions so I haven't had a chance to try them yet but from reading the reviews they seem to be really good. I'm curious to see if they work well with my PS4 as I recently bought a pair of HS60 Pro but may return those if I like the Y500s.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
4989 posts
2850 upvotes
M-Arkham
sswilson wrote: I've had the Costco version of these for over a year and have been reasonably happy with them. @ $99 they were a decent deal, @ $60 they're a steal.
Costco is the c50bt, costco exclusive clone of the y50bt, the predecessor of this model.

I got a c50 for 2 yrs then one day it just stopped charging
2x Zoomer $36 for 5GB , 800min Can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
May 4, 2020
8 posts
2 upvotes
Nice deal OP. Does anyone actually have a pair of these? I'd like to use them for video meetings. Is the mic only available on the 1-button universal remote/mic? Would they need to be in wired mood to use on a video meeting?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26918 posts
7201 upvotes
Reg price seems inflated...don't $200+ 'phones usually have ANC? They do have AAC at least which is better than plain ol' SBC but not sure how well this works with Android plus your music has to be in AAC, presumably, to take full advantage of this.

At $60 it seems good, but I wouldn't really consider it "$140 off" even though that's what it is on its face.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1225 posts
780 upvotes
l1197493 wrote: Worth it? There almost seems to be no demand for them on the open market. eg $40 brand new on ebay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AKG-Y500-On-Ear ... SwTLRfG6jI

I was trying to get some info online about them and i think they came free with a specific samsung cell phone. So maybe the resale is low because there are so many out there?

I'm tempted by this deal. Im good reviews, some not so good. Headphones are always so hard with no returns.
Sep 13, 2019
28 posts
62 upvotes
DanP wrote: I was trying to get some info online about them and i think they came free with a specific samsung cell phone. So maybe the resale is low because there are so many out there?

I'm tempted by this deal. Im good reviews, some not so good. Headphones are always so hard with no returns.
They came free with the S5e at bestbuy. I don't remember seeing good review about them
Nov 1, 2015
799 posts
761 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
They're fine. Nothing wrong with them for the price, I'm happy with my pair.
I do absolutely prefer in ear or my over ear pairs in general.
They're super comfy
Jul 19, 2014
84 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
spagspag wrote: Nice deal OP. Does anyone actually have a pair of these? I'd like to use them for video meetings. Is the mic only available on the 1-button universal remote/mic? Would they need to be in wired mood to use on a video meeting?

This. How is the mic quality and can it be used in BT mode?
Dec 12, 2019
9 posts
7 upvotes
Managed to get Staples to price match the blue version. As long as it's in stock online at the source with free shipping they'll match - three staff members had a backroom chat about this and ended up giving me the deal reluctantly. Thanks, OP! Been looking for a replacement for a snapped pair of Beats for a few months.
Feb 15, 2011
55 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
$60-100 should be their regular price.
Great at $60 especially because they're wireless.
Total garbage at $200.