Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

AKG Y500 On-Ear Wireless Headphones $59.96 ($140 off regular price)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2020 11:57 am
Oct 16, 2008
246 posts
396 upvotes
ottawa_guy wrote: Thanks OP.

Blue is OOS, black is available. Was gonna get the blue for 60, so price is now 79.96
If you have a visions nearby you can try price matching with them. Brings the price of the black colour pair to around $60+tax
Dec 1, 2017
138 posts
89 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Was going to order a pair and price is at $79.96 now, damnit!!
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/audio-he ... /108079086
Original name, can't retrieve it even with RFD support help:
eman0621- Jr. Member since Mar 5, 2004/Last seen Aug 3, 2016 10:02 AM 184 Posts
😃Thanks for RFD...many deals have been acquired. Many Thanks....you guys rock. Happy RFD'ng!😝
May 23, 2018
47 posts
61 upvotes
Hamilton
Got it before sold out. I am both delighted and disappointed.

Pros:
- nice looking style (I got the blue one)
- lightweight and comfortable
- easy listening sound flavor means you can wear this for a long time
- you can bypass the Bluetooth and use it as a wired earphone, which I personally prefer while sitting in front of a computer.
- GREAT for vocals, it's the good old AKG as always

Cons:
- a huge mess for large ensemble music, such as orchestra. Listening to symphonies on this is a disaster.
- weak bass. Rock'n'rolls feel diluted.

IMO the pros well worth $60, but it really boils down to your style.

Hopefully this will help anyone in the future.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2004
1215 posts
328 upvotes
Whitby, ON
These appear to be back in stock at $59.96 at the Source. I just did a price match at Staples for my second set. First set for one of the kids, she loved them so much, my son started giving me a hard time for a set (don’t ask why I didn’t buy two in the first place, I should know better). Great bang for the buck, perfect for kids (8 and 11) to attach to the discounted Amazon HD10 tablets I got them for Xmas last year.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2004
1215 posts
328 upvotes
Whitby, ON
Giving this a bump this morning as I asked the admins to unexpire this deal, as its back in stock online at the Source in all colours. Great bang for the buck headphone.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2408 posts
555 upvotes
I bought these for $36 at Visions the other day and they arrived yesterday. Initial impression isn't bad. They have good sound. They are a little tight on my head but I have a massive noggin. For the price I can't complain.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8049 posts
8626 upvotes
Downtown Canada
robster77 wrote: I bought these for $36 at Visions the other day and they arrived yesterday. Initial impression isn't bad. They have good sound. They are a little tight on my head but I have a massive noggin. For the price I can't complain.
I price matched and did in store pickup as well.
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ivanp36 wrote: The source has the AKG Y500 on sale right now for $59.96 in blue and the black colour is available for $79.96

Visions has these for $199.99 so works out to a little over $60 + tax after price match for the black pair.

Reviews look very solid:
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/akg ... ess-review
Why price match the black but not the blue? Just curious.
robster77 wrote: I bought these for $36 at Visions the other day and they arrived yesterday. Initial impression isn't bad. They have good sound. They are a little tight on my head but I have a massive noggin. For the price I can't complain.
How did you get it for $36?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1070 posts
334 upvotes
Mississauga
Visions black is $88 clearance now
Phone: Koodo LG G3
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
PM staples $199.
Get a filler like a notebook for $0.89 to get to $200.
Staples has coupon $15 off $200 - 75001

After price match and coupon. It comes out to be $51.81 after tax.
chasjunk wrote: ...and their biggest selling point for me is that they are on-ear rather than over-ear, so the comfort factor for prolonged listening is very high.....
I am just curious. Why is on ear more comfortable? Isnt over ear more comfortable? Especially for those who wear glasses?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: PM staples $199.
Get a filler like a notebook for $0.89 to get to $200.
Staples has coupon $15 off $200 - 75001

After price match and coupon. It comes out to be $51.81 after tax.

I am just curious. Why is on ear more comfortable? Isnt over ear more comfortable? Especially for those who wear glasses?
How do I price match with coupon? Do I chat with them or call them after the order is placed?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
barcathegreat wrote: How do I price match with coupon? Do I chat with them or call them after the order is placed?
Place the order and chat them.
They will refund after they ship.
Make sure you ask for a ticket number. They sometimes are very bad in follow through and you probably better chat them again once it is shipped to make sure the refund is processed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I realize $51.81 after tax is too expensive compare to people paid $31 or so.
I will have to return it. :(
Oct 29, 2005
386 posts
195 upvotes
Vancouver
How is the microphone and call quality on these? I was thinking of using them for my Zoom calls.
Mar 22, 2020
56 posts
60 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I am just curious. Why is on ear more comfortable? Isnt over ear more comfortable? Especially for those who wear glasses?
Over-ear headphones have no room to allow for glasses, so the pads of the over-ear headphones tend to press the temples of the eyeglasses against your head, which can be uncomfortable for some. On-ears tend to press snugly only against the center area of the ear, so the temples resting on the upper part of the lobe aren't pressed as hard if at all. Slightly tilting the glasses so the temples are a bit further up also makes on-ears more comfortable for those with smaller ears.

While I have over-ear headphones as well, in my personal case my ears get hot after a while using them, so the on-ears (especially those with the wider arc -- I have a big head!) tend to be more comfortable for long-term use. I live in a quiet place, so the lower "noise isolation" disadvantage of on-ear compared to over-ear isn't a big deal for me, even when I'm doing more "critical" than "casual" listening.
Mar 22, 2020
56 posts
60 upvotes
Mr. Bean wrote: How is the microphone and call quality on these? I was thinking of using them for my Zoom calls.
Microphone quality seems to be fine -- I've had no complaints of difficulty hearing me. That said, they don't echo back what you're saying to the mic, so they may not be ideal for Zoom-type calls (I tend to use earbuds with decent mic quality for that sort of use).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)