Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Amazon Fire TV Stick w/ Alexa remote - $39.99 | 4K - $54.99 (also at Staples + Best Buy + Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 3:35 pm
Aug 23, 2011
29 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Kouyo wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:45 am
Anyone using Fire TV stick in combination with their Ring doorbell or Ring Exterior Camera? Is it any good?

I ordered a Ring floodlight camera to be installed soon and wife wants me to get a camera door bell.. so I just ordered the Ring doorbell pro this morning.
Just wondering, aside from our phones, the next best ways to interact with both devices.
does anyone know if I need to have Amazon Echo in order to see my Ring cameras on TV, or can just skip the Echo devices and be able to search/use app to see my Ring Cameras?
Sep 11, 2009
14 posts
1 upvote
Anyone get the remote to work with a primecables tv for power/volume?
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
510 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto, ON
reheat wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 7:30 am
Anyone get the remote to work with a primecables tv for power/volume?
Works without a fuss on the first setup. No special steps needed.
We The North!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
This is such a good value for the 4K stick at $49.99 each, when you buy two units, after $10 off $100 coupon.

From a streaming and VOD standpoint, this competes well with the NVIDIA Shield. From a total package standpoint, the Shield offers more, some want that, others are fine with streaming + VOD.

The home integration isn't as good on the Firestick, but it's there.
May 7, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
Our TV doesn't support 4K and I will mainly use this for Kodi. Should I still buy the 4K like some recommended ? How big of a difference the speed/performance is between the two models ?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone who ordered from Staples.ca on Friday have their order ship yet? Mine is stuck in "Processing."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
cdvaks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:46 am
Our TV doesn't support 4K and I will mainly use this for Kodi. Should I still buy the 4K like some recommended ? How big of a difference the speed/performance is between the two models ?
Big enough to matter. You're buying into better horsepower, not just 4K.

You don't want a slow chip going into 2020, software is getting increasingly demanding and these sticks will only get slower.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
cdvaks wrote:
Definitely buy the 4k model. Longer support / faster, more future proof, better resale value. I don't have a 4K TV but i bought two 4K Firesticks without hesitation.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Jun 11th, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11593 posts
21257 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:55 am
Big enough to matter. You're buying into better horsepower, not just 4K.

You don't want a slow chip going into 2020, software is getting increasingly demanding and these sticks will only get slower.
This is exactly why I bought a 4K stick for my old 720p TV. It's a lot snappier than the non-4K stick.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Jan 18, 2016
524 posts
528 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
cdvaks wrote:
I was in same situation but after reading the thread and reading their Specs and feedback I went for 4K stick at $15 more. Reasons...
1) I had Roku stick from 3 years back which is slow and does not has Prime and Crave. I went for 4K to experience the speedy and smooth UI,basic stick might give my current Roku stick issue 2-3 years down the lane.
2) Just in case I upgrade my TV (to 4K) I do not want to buy a stick again.
3) The hardware difference is worth (1.3 vs 1.7 Ghz, 1.0 DDR3 vs 1.5 DDR4 Ram, BT 4.1 vs BT 5.0, MFD 2016 vs 2018, etc. etc.).
May 7, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks everyone for helping out. I was hesitant, but I made up my mind. I will buy the 4k model in store today before the sale ends. It makes more sense and it seem like the extra 15$ is worth it.
Jul 20, 2006
30 posts
3 upvotes
Lukus2017 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 8:48 pm
I'm not sure if this works for you but on my TV, I can disable the internal speakers in its settings. All sounds come from my soundbar now.
Sound works for me too (ie via my Bluetooth speaker set) but the problem is the volume control - it controls my TV's volume which has no effect on my Bluetooth speaker.

My question was "Does FireTV remote control can control the volume of FireTV itself (not TV)?", like changing the main volume of Android (FireOS is Android) so that it'll change the volume regardless what audio devices it's connecting to
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:21 pm
I've been advised by my IPTV person that the Firestick 4K may have problems with IPTV, on common apps like StbEmu.

This is based on his one anecdotal experience however, unclear whether it's a persistent issue.
I offer the above as a proponent of the cost-effectiveness and utility of the Firestick 4K.

@techjedi, what are your thoughts? I welcome others to pipe in.

RFD has a zero tolerance policy towards explicit mentions of illicit IPTV sources/providers. IPTV apps are legal and often available on the Google Play Store.

Thanks you.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10791 posts
1437 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:38 pm
I offer the above as a proponent of the cost-effectiveness and utility of the Firestick 4K.

@techjedi, what are your thoughts? I welcome others to pipe in.

RFD has a zero tolerance policy towards explicit mentions of illicit IPTV sources/providers. IPTV apps are legal and often available on the Google Play Store.

Thanks you.
STBemu works on Firestick without any issue...u need the correct version..
I am using STBemu Pro and have been setup few Firestick with STBemu for friends and families without any issue,...work perfectly..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:58 pm
STBemu works on Firestick without any issue...u need the correct version..
I am using STBemu Pro and have been setup few Firestick with STBemu for friends and families without any issue,...work perfectly..
Good. I'll give it a shot...