Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Amazon Fire TV Stick w/ Alexa remote - $39.99 | 4K - $54.99 (also at Staples + Best Buy + Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5251 posts
1123 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just got 2 with $10 off coupon...this will be good for iptv in the bedroom or for travel ;)
Dec 24, 2007
808 posts
728 upvotes
BC
KevCnew wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 12:45 pm
Just picked up one. Any luck with it controlling a Denon receiver and a Samsung TV? I've used Chromecast for the longest time (for youtube and netflix, since it's so easy to cast from phone/laptop); but I went with this for IPTV capabilities. Do I now need the FIreTV app to send youtube/netflix?
No, it is not necessary as the Firestick is an Android device (i.e. like a tablet with HDMI output to TV) so you just run the particular YouTube, NetFlix, CraveTV, CBC, CTV, Global, etc app that you install on the stick. YouTube video can be casted as the Firestick will show up as a casting device selection but cannot Chromecast as no Google Services on the stick.
Jan 18, 2017
492 posts
166 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:34 pm
No, it is not necessary as the Firestick is an Android device (i.e. like a tablet with HDMI output to TV) so you just run the particular YouTube, NetFlix, CraveTV, CBC, CTV, Global, etc app that you install on the stick. YouTube video can be casted as the Firestick will show up as a casting device selection but cannot Chromecast as no Google Services on the stick.
Thanks for the response! I really prefer using my phone's keyboard to search on youtube/netflix/etc; rather than using the included remote like on smartTVs. Youtube can be controlled via phone, but not Netflix? Thanks,
Dec 25, 2013
188 posts
114 upvotes
Brampton/Waterloo
Wanted to help those out who needed it. The firestick remote has limited features and controls for IPTV. However you can map some keys by going into settings and changing some functions into the colored buttons that help you search/find movies and what not.
IPTV Gold Provider
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4717 posts
721 upvotes
is the staples coupon still valid? I dont see it on the staples site currently?
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Dec 24, 2007
808 posts
728 upvotes
BC
KevCnew wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:38 pm
Thanks for the response! I really prefer using my phone's keyboard to search on youtube/netflix/etc; rather than using the included remote like on smartTVs. Youtube can be controlled via phone, but not Netflix? Thanks,
Youtube, "Yes". NetFlix has a casting option on their apps so I think it should be able to but I don't have NetFlix to confirm.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
504 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KevCnew wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:38 pm
Just checked. Both allow keyboard input from the phone.
Netflix and Prime video searches can be done through in-built Alexa as well

0769988E-D53F-4CF5-A296-8E9C92C0C134.jpeg
We The North!
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
504 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:34 pm
AirReceiver is add that feature to the FireTV stick. Plus AirPlay, YouTube Cast, etc. $3 app though but well worth it. I just found out about it yesterday and I love it!
We The North!
Dec 21, 2010
154 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
got a 4K stick for me.
will a 4K stick work correctly in a non 4K tv (buddy question).
May 12, 2011
195 posts
150 upvotes
Calgary
michelangelo88 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 3:16 pm
AirReceiver is add that feature to the FireTV stick. Plus AirPlay, YouTube Cast, etc. $3 app though but well worth it. I just found out about it yesterday and I love it!
Oh boy... Nothing can replace chromecast. It uses certified by google keys. And only mibox and shield have them. AirPlay is kinda work but it is always 50/50 game. I used to buy that paid version, and comparing to the Chromecast it was a nighmare. Sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes crashing... Ended up buying mibox from us Walmart and not looking back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5684 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 12:26 am
You can load IPTV apps on the Fire Stick (4K and Regular versions). That simple.
Can I load Chinese tv streaming apps like Tianmao? Would there be a lot of difference or even considered an upgrade if I went from the Xiaomi 4K box to Fires TV 4K?
Jan 18, 2017
492 posts
166 upvotes
wolandca wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 10:37 am
Oh boy... Nothing can replace chromecast. It uses certified by google keys. And only mibox and shield have them. AirPlay is kinda work but it is always 50/50 game. I used to buy that paid version, and comparing to the Chromecast it was a nighmare. Sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes crashing... Ended up buying mibox from us Walmart and not looking back.
Can you please clarify the functionality you lose by going Fire vs Chromecast? thx
Jan 21, 2017
173 posts
134 upvotes
Approx. how many apps can one install on the 4K Stick without affecting its smooth operation?

Also, Googling which apps/apk are the best to install seems to yield different results. I haven't used them much to truly see if they are good but so far, I've installed CyberFlix, Cinema Free and LiveNet TV. I'm interested in knowing what you guys think about Mobdro? There seems to be a few flavors of this app around and just concern about installing a bad one. If someone can PM a good link, that'd be great.

Finally, is installing a few media players necessary? I currently have MX and VLC installed. Should I keep both?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2209 posts
570 upvotes
Calgary
NeedaSuit wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 9:45 am
got a 4K stick for me.
will a 4K stick work correctly in a non 4K tv (buddy question).
Yeah and it will work even better then the non 4K stick because it would be faster

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)