Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

Apple MacBook Air 13.3” 256GB, 8GB RAM, i5 - Space Grey - English - $999.99 (Save $700) - Model MVFJ2LL/A

May 27, 2008
573 posts
545 upvotes
Cheezewhiz wrote: If you can afford the extra $170 with educational discount, the base M1 MacBook Air is significantly better than this outdated model. The 2020 i5s are especially prone to excessive fan noise/overheating.
Yep, newly chips M1 made by Apple are day and night comparing old version of MBA
May 23, 2020
27 posts
38 upvotes
As others have said get the M1 instead hands down for $1169 education (no veri required).

I have one and it is incredible. I’m not much of a gamer but metal gear solid 5 runs on medium under parallels beta and that’s incredible, same with Witcher 3 and such.

Games like WoW run natively at 60FPS medium-High on a fanless MacBook that weighs 2.7lb and has a battery that seems to run on Vril energy. I personally never experience any throttling but if you wanted to run yours hard get a cheap laptop cooling pad for $15-20 on Amazon and you can easily do long video renders on it.

I’m not an apple shill but they knocked it out of the park with M1 MacBooks and there’s practically no reason to buy the Intel ones unless they are heavily heavily discounted (this one is not).
Sep 4, 2009
566 posts
425 upvotes
Calgary
M1 air has no fan. Absolutely quiet, fast and crazy battery life.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
I bought the M1 MacBook Air today.
- - - > Life is a waste of time.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
Raimiette wrote: So, this is probably a super, super dumb question, please bear with me, BUT can this play current games on low settings? Would it be good for retro gaming (emulators to date)?
What games?

It will run retro game emulators no problem. It can play dota 2 on low settings, I haven't tried more intensive games though.
Mar 5, 2012
758 posts
499 upvotes
Canada
Cheezewhiz wrote: If you can afford the extra $170 with educational discount, the base M1 MacBook Air is significantly better than this outdated model. The 2020 i5s are especially prone to excessive fan noise/overheating.
+1 brother! Even if you cannot afford it, get the M1 Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
4286 posts
4638 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
I'm owning a M1 Mac Mini. Never heard any fan noise....enclosure is always cool.

Check this guy's youtube channel. You can run Wizard 3 and GTA V on M1 machines, and whole bunch other games.

https://www.youtube.com/user/andytizer

2Sedins1Cup wrote: using an M1 MacBook Air. it's incredible. batteyr life is insane. never using Intel every again. save up you'll be glad. this thing never gets hot and is blazing fast.
Jan 20, 2003
281 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Raimiette wrote: So, this is probably a super, super dumb question, please bear with me, BUT can this play current games on low settings? Would it be good for retro gaming (emulators to date)?
It can barely run Microsoft Teams. Stay away.
Nov 10, 2003
798 posts
261 upvotes
Concord
I got a M1, 8GPU, 16GB. Finally a mac again after a decade. This thing is a beast without the intel processor. Completely cool and never sluggish.

I would not touch an intel air, they get throttled quickly.
UNOO - Meet Canada's Premium Heated Jacket
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Guessing Macbooks don't have touch screens? Looking for a touchscreen laptop for my daughter.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
hagbard wrote: Guessing Macbooks don't have touch screens? Looking for a touchscreen laptop for my daughter.
As someone who has a touchscreen laptop, it's the biggest gimmick ever.

The screen is always mucked with fingerprints and the whole touchscreen experience is nothing like it is on a tablet.

0/10.

I've resorted to using this as a regular laptop.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
yup, this is the 2019 with the breath on it and it gets jammed keyboard. That keyboard mechanism is a low point for Apple product design.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
May 26, 2020
173 posts
444 upvotes
For those with a tight budget or looking to buy for parents who only need it for limited usage, etc., go with the cheaper 2020 i3 MacBook Air. It is substantially better because it doesn't come with the cooling/fan issues that have plagued the i5 model since it was released.
May 26, 2020
173 posts
444 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Guessing Macbooks don't have touch screens? Looking for a touchscreen laptop for my daughter.
Either don't do it, or get her a tablet. Laptops with touchscreens are terrible.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
Buying an intel MacBook Air is like buying a horse when they just invented the car.

Like if you really really need the horse for some reason, go for it.

But in every metric and in every user experience the car is better. Get the M1 version instead and never look back. Rosetta 2 basically runs Intel apps faster on the M1 than every other intel MacBook Air ever created.

You really don’t need the horse.
Jun 9, 2019
689 posts
1645 upvotes
This is a good deal, however I would caution anyone from buying Intel Macs at this point. M1 is so far ahead for the OSX system, that these will soon feel very dated. It is definitely worth the extra cash for a 2020 M1 version.
Jan 15, 2017
424 posts
498 upvotes
I have an M1 air. Best computer I have ever owned by a mile
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
4286 posts
4638 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Buy a mac mini and sidecar with an iPad 12.9. I'm doing it now.

You got detached touchscreen.

https://www.geofftaylor.me/2020/scripti ... s-big-sur/

Check this guy's post to figure out how to use iPad as the only monitor for your mac mini. Works like a breeze.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
AriGold89 wrote: Either don't do it, or get her a tablet. Laptops with touchscreens are terrible.
Guess tablet it is. Wife doesn't think she can learn to use a keyboard/mouse (autism).
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Dec 25, 2016
94 posts
74 upvotes
Many unsuspecting buyers will sadly buy up all the overpriced older Apple intels.