Oct 13, 2017
105 posts
11 upvotes
Is it worth it if you don’t have Apple TV? I ask since it’s first generation
Oct 17, 2012
490 posts
652 upvotes
Quebec
604guyy wrote: Is it worth it if you don’t have Apple TV? I ask since it’s first generation
It’s very worth it especially if you don’t have a smart tv

Picture quality on netflix/youtube is great.

It’s still one of the best smart player on the market
Sep 12, 2018
552 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
What will I get by buying this , if I have a recent Roku(Hisense U6GR) with AirPlay 2?
Jul 14, 2007
205 posts
188 upvotes
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: What will I get by buying this , if I have a recent Roku(Hisense U6GR) with AirPlay 2?
You'll get a really awkward remote that shatters when you drop it.
Freedom Mobile, Voila, Koodo, Simplii, and Tangerine user.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2904 posts
727 upvotes
lewinsky wrote: You'll get a really awkward remote that shatters when you drop it.
Never used my remote personally. I just control it with my phone.
Nov 9, 2006
145 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
Will this run zwift?
Nov 7, 2005
131 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
lewinsky wrote: You'll get a really awkward remote that shatters when you drop it.
Quite an exaggeration. I've dropped mine on a hardwood floor probably over a 100 times and it is fine, not even a dent anywhere.
Jul 14, 2007
205 posts
188 upvotes
nosft wrote: Quite an exaggeration. I've dropped mine on a hardwood floor probably over a 100 times and it is fine, not even a dent anywhere.
Try being clumsy and dropping it on ceramic half as many times.
Freedom Mobile, Voila, Koodo, Simplii, and Tangerine user.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1133 posts
1059 upvotes
wiebecj wrote: Never used my remote personally. I just control it with my phone.
Cringe!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1523 posts
960 upvotes
PennyPincher01 wrote: Should be able to, I believe this is the 2021 4K edition.
Incorrect. This is the 2017 version running A10X.
Jan 11, 2022
11 posts
17 upvotes
vader_slri wrote: Incorrect. This is the 2017 version running A10X.
Thanks, can still run zwift at lower quality. Wouldn't be ideal set up
Sep 3, 2019
48 posts
11 upvotes
Burnaby
Got one. Will try it out tonight. My tv airplay2 sucks. It lost connection sometimes, and maybe some website prohibits me air play content to tv. I have to use screen mirroring, but i cannot use my phone at the same time…
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9713 posts
3295 upvotes
Not trying to be a downer, but is this a better investment than a Chromecast with Google TV or even the older Nvidia Shield when they often go on sale. I see it has more storage space than both combined.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2671 posts
1908 upvotes
Antarctica
CFRTim wrote: Not trying to be a downer, but is this a better investment than a Chromecast with Google TV or even the older Nvidia Shield when they often go on sale. I see it has more storage space than both combined.
This is probably better than the Nvidia shield for iOS users, but I am not sure. If the Nvidia shield does allow screen mirroring and casting etc from iOS, then I would pick that over appletv because the last thing I want is a locked device / walled garden feeding my TV.
Mar 3, 2018
192 posts
239 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Not trying to be a downer, but is this a better investment than a Chromecast with Google TV or even the older Nvidia Shield when they often go on sale. I see it has more storage space than both combined.
I have a first gen Apple TV 4K and a Chromecast with Google TV and the Apple product is better. The A10X is dated by phone standards, but is still great when dealing with a few streaming apps and feels snappier than the Google TV platform. No ads on Apple’s tvOS and the playback interface is fairly consistent across most apps which I appreciate. I do prefer Google’s remote, but overall for about $100 I’d go for the Apple device.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)