2030 posts
1317 upvotes

[The Source] Apple Watch Series 3 - $299.99

Series 3
20 replies
Aug 5, 2019
20 posts
18 upvotes
Obsolete? Not yet, it's only 2 years old at this point.

Series 3 has hit this mark a few times the past few months at SportChek & BestBuy, expect this to be the new permanent price when the Series 5 officially releases.
It's only a good deal when you can price match and combine with 15%/20% off SportChek giftcards.
Aug 18, 2019
1 posts
Price has been at this level before and probably will come down with the S5 coming out in a month. If you can, put in a little more and swing for the S4 after the price drops from S5 release.
The technology is significantly better in the S4 compared to the previous versions.
Nov 12, 2011
632 posts
204 upvotes
Ontario
Should I wait for black friday for a cheaper apple watch?
Nov 12, 2011
632 posts
204 upvotes
Ontario
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 9:52 am
Black Friday sales on Apple watches are not very good. Just wait until they reduce the series 4 watches when the series 5 watches come out in September.
SportsChek usually have the best deals. Sometimes you can buy gift cards at various places at a good percentage off that you could use there.
Thanks for the tips. Right now the apple watch series 3 can be had on sale for $300, if I wait for the series 4 to go on sale what kind of price can I expect?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1177 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
Aug 23rd, 2019 10:08 am
Why waste your money on obsolete Apple Watch? At least get the series 4 in September when the new series 5 come out when they'll be marked down.
Terrible and broken mentality.

By your logic, why buy any electronic when it'll just be obsolete within 6 months to a year? Might as well just live under a rock.
Jun 30, 2018
35 posts
16 upvotes
Ordered 42 mm watch Series 3 yesterday from Sportcheck during 50x + 30x CT money promotion. Expecting around $265 incl. tax after CT money cash back and price match with The Source. Suffice for my use, don’t want to spend more money on wearable technology.
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Aug 25th, 2019 4:31 pm
I'm not talking about it being obsolete in six months. To me it's OK to buy a one year old watch, but when you're looking at buying an Apple watch 3, as of next month it's already two years old. In this fast changing world that's totally obsolete. The series 4 is so much better than the old series 3.
It's obviously wrong to say the Series 3 is obsolete - it still works well and will be upgraded to Watch OS 6 soon - but I think it makes sense to focus on the Series 4 and later now. Smartwatches are changing faster than smartphones so you have to be more careful about buying an older one.

Another thing to consider - most people don't need a smartwatch. If you don't use the fitness tracking features they're not really that useful (there are obvious exceptions, though).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8066 posts
875 upvotes
Aug 25th, 2019 4:31 pm
I'm not talking about it being obsolete in six months. To me it's OK to buy a one year old watch, but when you're looking at buying an Apple watch 3, as of next month it's already two years old. In this fast changing world that's totally obsolete. The series 4 is so much better than the old series 3.
What are people using the watch for that requires them to have top notch tech? I have the S4 watch and I think I could probably do the exact same things with a S2 or 3. I keep track of steps, check weather, check time and it notifies me when my smart devices are on and off. Sometimes I text via iMessage but usually it doesn’t work because I use WhatsApp more and it’s a hit or miss with WhatsApp messages popping up on my watch.

Is there anything else that requires cutting edge tech?

Thanks.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8066 posts
875 upvotes
tjindersingh wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 4:56 pm
It's obviously wrong to say the Series 3 is obsolete - it still works well and will be upgraded to Watch OS 6 soon - but I think it makes sense to focus on the Series 4 and later now. Smartwatches are changing faster than smartphones so you have to be more careful about buying an older one.

Another thing to consider - most people don't need a smartwatch. If you don't use the fitness tracking features they're not really that useful (there are obvious exceptions, though).
I think it depends on how you interpret ‘obsolete’ because as soon as newer and better gadgets or tech come out, it becomes obsolete. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is useless. At least that’s how I interpret the term.

People will have to factor in the money and usefulness of the watch to see if getting S3,4 or 5 is worth it.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
bobbings wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 5:08 pm
I think it depends on how you interpret ‘obsolete’ because as soon as newer and better gadgets or tech come out, it becomes obsolete. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is useless. At least that’s how I interpret the term.

People will have to factor in the money and usefulness of the watch to see if getting S3,4 or 5 is worth it.
But that isn't what obsolete means at all. It means that it's now rendered useless by being overtaken by newer technology. Given that the Series 3 is still supported and has all the major functions (other than EKG and fall detection) the term doesn't apply.
Apr 16, 2015
764 posts
412 upvotes
bobbings wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 5:05 pm
What are people using the watch for that requires them to have top notch tech? I have the S4 watch and I think I could probably do the exact same things with a S2 or 3. I keep track of steps, check weather, check time and it notifies me when my smart devices are on and off.

Is there anything else that requires cutting edge tech?
Yes, I can think of at least one thing. The series 3 DOES NOT HAVE the ECG capabilities
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8066 posts
875 upvotes
Aug 27th, 2019 12:11 pm
Yes, I can think of at least one thing. The series 3 DOES NOT HAVE the ECG capabilities
Is it that useful? I don’t even use it and I don’t think it’s turned on for my watch.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 7, 2017
5 posts
6 upvotes
Staples.ca have finally dropped their prices to match The Source (though the 42mm was $10 more) and code 63471 adds an extra 10% off.