None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4564 posts
4948 upvotes
Alberta

[The Source] Google Nest Temperature Sensor - 3 Pack $59.99 (Reg $125.99) YMMV

I was at The Source today picking up my Samsung travel charger that was on sale here recently. I noticed they had a Google Nest Temperature Sensor 3 Pack on sale for $59.99. I've wanted a sensor for a while and it's hard to find them discounted. This is only an extra $10 for 2 more sensors because the single packs are sold for $49.99. I also picked up a Phillips hue starter kit for my girlfriend with hub and 2 warm white bulbs for $29.99 (reg $89.99).

Nest sensors are regular price and sold out online, but you may be able to find them in your local store.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/smart-ho ... /108076229

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=src&sku=108076229
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by Lush78 on Dec 5th, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1391 posts
504 upvotes
London Area
Thanks OP! Do you have a SKU so we can check stocktrack (thesource.ca is down right now)?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6287 posts
3881 upvotes
Ottawa
I have ecobee, how to use it?
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1548 posts
957 upvotes
Toronto
The more sensors, the more comfortable, but also the less efficient right?
Aug 30, 2015
44 posts
56 upvotes
Regina, Sk
yellowmp5 wrote: The more sensors, the more comfortable, but also the less efficient right?
errrr....how multiple sensors are handled is a very wonky.

You have 4 times of day that you can switch the sensor to. The times are 07:00-11:00, 11:00-16:00, 16-21:00 and 21:00-07:00.

So unless you have an individual room that you want to control the temperature for one of the time slots above, then it's not very useful.

IMHO, it looks like google is moving away from the thermostat made by Nest, and is moving to the cheaper one. They are even rolling it into the google home app instead of the Nest app.
Dec 18, 2004
199 posts
95 upvotes
Seems like a decent enough deal, but 3 pack is likely more than anyone would ever need. I got 1 and put it in the kids room to keep that room at set temp as its the coldest in the house. I have moved it around a bit to test temps of different rooms. I agree the timing limitation of the sensors is annoying, but moreso that the sensors arn't part of the new google API so they arn't accessible via home assistant.
Aug 30, 2015
44 posts
56 upvotes
Regina, Sk
SirLurksAlot wrote: Seems like a decent enough deal, but 3 pack is likely more than anyone would ever need.
Completely agree
SirLurksAlot wrote: I agree the timing limitation of the sensors is annoying, but moreso that the sensors arn't part of the new google API so they arn't accessible via home assistant.
IMHO, this could have been such a good system, but it seems like at every possible place they botched it with a terrible design and software, which brings it's utility to almost zero.
May 4, 2006
644 posts
347 upvotes
Mississauga
kalijawan wrote: Completely agree

IMHO, this could have been such a good system, but it seems like at every possible place they botched it with a terrible design and software, which brings it's utility to almost zero.
This is why after 2 years i dumped Nest and just got an Ecobee. I have control over the exact time i want the schedule to run and which sensors to use. So far Ecobee has more options to customize and more data as well. But the Nest app is better.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2237 posts
4636 upvotes
Ontario
This is a great price. I have a 3 pack. I agree that the system is not great in it's implementation. But at bare minimum, I've really enjoyed comparing the different temperatures in my house through the app. My last house had very different temperatures between the front of the house and the back of the house. So it was nice to be able to make that comparison.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1606 posts
1688 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
kalijawan wrote: IMHO, it looks like google is moving away from the thermostat made by Nest, and is moving to the cheaper one. They are even rolling it into the google home app instead of the Nest app.
They're not moving away from Nest, which Google owns; the Google Home and other devices were rebranded as Nest not so long ago. With respect to to the app, the Nest app is being phased out (at glacial Google-speed) and its functions moved into the Home app (also at Google-speed).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6287 posts
3881 upvotes
Ottawa
Dash wrote: Buy a Google nest thermostat, remove your ecobee, install the Google nest, and connect to the sensors
You mean nest is better than ecobee? Although I have 10+ nest products, bell , camera, lock , nest hub max , 4 nest hub and so on.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Mar 20, 2013
739 posts
911 upvotes
Winnipeg
sonyHdr12 wrote: You mean nest is better than ecobee?
I think that they mean that these sensors only work with the Nest thermostat
Mar 20, 2013
739 posts
911 upvotes
Winnipeg
It's too bad that they don't advertise this price on their site. That would have made PMs possible.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1162 posts
270 upvotes
This product makes no sense at all. Thermostats are generally installed in the zone they control. It makes no sense to install a separate temp sensor outside of the control zone since the thermostat isn't affecting that zone.