[The Source] Headrush Icon Portable Powered Speaker - $59.96

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 12:10 am
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
46 posts
274 upvotes

[The Source] Headrush Icon Portable Powered Speaker - $59.96

Electric Light BulbMost people would simply walk by this at the source and probably not even notice it, but believe me this is an incredible product at an absurd price. If it was branded Bose, JBL, beats, or logitech, they would have sold out long ago, but since it is branded with the Sources house brand, it loses some appeal. Don't let the HeadRush brand fool you though, this sounds absolutely stunning for such a small portable speaker. Buy one asap for $59.96 and use your CAA membership like I did for an ever further 5% discount.

I discovered by accident that this speaker is not only an insane bargain, but an incredible sounding piece of gear.
I assume I'm one of only a few people in the world that now knows the HeadRush Icon is a actually a re-badged Kenwood AS-BT77:

http://www.kenwood.com/jp/products/audi ... l/as_bt77/

The Kenwood is only available in Japan and came out in 2014, and then won a gold VGP aka Video Grand Prix awards in 2016.
VGP are Japanese electronics industry awards for sound quality excellence. So it's famous in Japan and still available there 4 years after it came out.

Then this famous Austrian youtube active speaker reviewer clavinetjunkie got Kenwood AS-BT77 from a friend and raved about the incredible sound,and you can hear it handily beats a similar JBL. He uses binaural microphones, so use your earphones for best effect.

Then shortly after I saw that review, I just happened to be at The Source and saw what appeared to be the same speaker with HeadRush on it. After inspecting it, I confirmed it is the identical speaker, re-branded for Canada. It even comes in the 2 colors, grey and black. I tried it out and sure enough it sounds stunning so I bought one on the spot for $59.96 -5% plus 12% tax. I told the staff there about the history on that speaker, and they had no clue but admitted it sounded impossibly good for the price.
Even at $149.99 regular price it sounds fantastic, but for 60% off it's jaw dropping.

Not only is the sound so spectacular for such a small and cheap item, but it has rare USB audio input. Just go out of your PC with a USB cable and plug it into the micro USB in on the speaker. The USB audio in will give you a big boost in sound quality, better than the analog 3.5mm in and much better than wireless bluetooth. Most bluetooth speakers will have 3.5mm analog in, but very few have digital USB audio in, and if they do they will be more expensive. The bass quality and quantity is really stunning from such a small speaker...so much so it sometimes moves on it's own! Nothing is perfect of course, and this unit's weakness is the short battery life, but it surprisingly has a user replaceable battery, another incredible feature for the price and something I haven't seen on any other bluetooth speaker. It even comes with a soft carrying case!

Mine is sitting in front of my laptop via USB audio on a small round table right in front of my sofa so I can watch videos and movies online in comfort. Gives great clarity, bass and volume to anything you play through it. The sound modes it has are normal, bass boost, and bass boost with surround effect.

Buy one asap before the RFD effect takes over and they are gone nationwide!

If you want a sticker shock to see how much it will cost you to import the same Kenwood speaker, see link below:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

UPDATE:
If you use this like I do for USB audio, check your PC and make sure that windows doesn't see this as having a microphone. My windows 10 PC saw the HeadRush icon as having a built in mic and it doesn't. Turn off that option in windows, so you only use the PC's mic. The reason I mention this is when I first made a skype call with this, it resulted in a horrible distorted sound. I thought the speaker was defective...but it sounded fine on music. The problem was windows was using this as a mic and speaker, which of course won't work, since it can't play back and listen through the same speaker. YMMV, but make sure the mic option for this is OFF in windows.

Turns out clavinetjunkie found this speaker with yet another brand on it, this time a Chinese one "Dostyle", and he compares it to the identical Kenwood.

The Kenwood, the Headrush and the Dostyle above are all made in China, obviously by the same factory. Seems they started making the Kenwood and then expanded to other brands. Maybe even more brands will surface on this low price but amazing sounding item.
Images
  • DSC08349.JPG
Last edited by stereoasis on Aug 3rd, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
496 replies
Feb 18, 2013
460 posts
292 upvotes
Victoria
I'll give it a shot. Have SoundLink mini 2, UE Boom and megaboom to compare to.

According to the source's website headrush products have a 1 year return period...

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
Interesting, thanks for the post. Most complaints seem to be with the battery life. $60, why not....
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1029 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Wish it was bookshelf and plugged to the wall instead of wireless. Hmm, it does sound good, I'll admit! You almost got me there, OP. I'll stick with my Edifier R1280T's for now as I don't have to worry about charging them every 2 hours :')
Last edited by meepsheep on Aug 3rd, 2018 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3312 posts
457 upvotes
GTA
Upvoted for research and genuine curiosity!
Would jump on this but currently happy with my Doss Soundbox, which to my ears, sound good enough.
Jul 15, 2010
69 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks op, will give it a shot
Oct 3, 2014
203 posts
135 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I find this deal suspicious.

edit: I was wrong. Bought one, great deal.
Last edited by crockpot on Aug 12th, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1597 posts
1705 upvotes
crockpot wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 4:49 am
I find this deal suspicious.
Care to elaborate Amy ? :)
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11012 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting! Upvoting OP for the detail, comparison and research info provided for this Speaker.

I don't need one for now...but I like your thoroughness of the post, OP. That's the type of thread that I would create too....an informative one. We need more deal threads with this kind of detail to help inform our RFDers.

Cheers!
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1064 posts
953 upvotes
Halifax
meepsheep wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 3:20 am
Wish it was bookshelf and plugged to the wall instead of wireless. Hmm, it does sound good, I'll admit! You almost got me there, OP. I'll stick with my Edifier R1280T's for now as I don't have to worry about charging them every 2 hours :')
Are you saying the Headrush speaker cannot be plugged in and used at the same time? That would be a pretty big design flaw. Maybe the OP can chime in.

Other than that, this seems like an awesome deal. Too bad I can only give one up vote, This is the perfect example of how name brands can ask so much more for the same product.
Jul 25, 2017
199 posts
53 upvotes
$3 discount for PSP which brings it to $56. Not too shabby. Bought one. Thanks op!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15249 posts
5662 upvotes
Oakville
Damn you, RFD effect. I really don't need this. But am I still going to buy it? Probably!
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 7, 2003
610 posts
128 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 7:08 am
Damn you, RFD effect. I really don't need this. But am I still going to buy it? Probably!

I’m thinkin the same thing!!! Must stay away from The Source 🤪🤪🤪
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16311 posts
13074 upvotes
Toronto
Got UE Boom and UE Mini Boom but I'll give this one a shot based purely on all the work OP put into the post, great job! The Source should hire you Grinning Face
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)