Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Hisense Scratch & Dent 43" ($199.99) and 55" ($329.99) TVs back in stock

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17049 posts
18970 upvotes
I bought (8x) S&D Sony 1080p 55" TV's for $199 in 2018, for conference rooms.

All worked great. The biggest issue was a non-issue, someone key scratched a one inch mark on the metal backing....

That was it.

Thumbs up for TheSource, so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2564 posts
1354 upvotes
Mississauga
cjam wrote: Beware. They call them scratch and dent but they are store demos with thousands of hours on them. I think I remember mine having over 50 thousand hours.
50K hours. That means the TV was continuously powered on for 6 years? I have a hard time believing this. Are these TVs even that old?
Dec 29, 2007
482 posts
228 upvotes
canlabman wrote: 50,000 hours? That would mean your tv has 2083 days of use which is about 5.7 years. Would they have had the tv in the store for that long?
Sorry. My mistake. But I do remember it was like a year straight running. If you find the old threads you will see a large group of us had the same problem. There is a way to check the number of hours for most makes/models if you google. If you do buy I would check this before you decide whether to keep. I bought 2 at the time and returned them both.
Jan 23, 2009
371 posts
306 upvotes
VI
Bidjaan wrote: Why don’t you take it back to a store for refund? What are you expecting from customer service? It’s a gamble with refurbished, open box, scratch n dent etc.

I’d be pissed and complaining if they gave me a hassle returning or refunding. Or if it was final sale.
I did return it (obviously), and I was totally prepared to return it as I knew full well it was a scratch and dent. What bothered me was the fact it was such a blatant "we didn't bother to look at it at all before reselling it" situation. Someone obviously bought it, obviously used it and obviously damaged it and then they just taped the box shut and sold it again without even powering it on? Give me a break.

If I had wasted an hour or 2 of my life picking up, setting up and then taking down and returning it because one of the inputs didn't work, or after an hour it shut off randomly, or had trouble with a flickering backlight in certain scenes or any number of other issues I would have been "ah well, it was always a bit of a dice roll", but this shows that they resell returns without even powering them on and that is disrespectful at best.

The local store manager was wonderful, gave me a refund with no questions asked. Zero problem there. The fact that 3 different customer service avenues have still failed to even respond is a bit of a Red flag for me.
Jan 2, 2015
475 posts
435 upvotes
Montréal area
So I guess that people are starting to receive the TVs?

Are people happy here?
Jan 2, 2015
475 posts
435 upvotes
Montréal area
I received mine.

There's a few scratches on the feet (I think I can switch both as it's only on one side of the feet)
There's a dent of the plastic near the power button.
Run time of 37 days and a few hours.

I'm kinda impressed by the picture quality so far. Sure it's not extra, but I thought it would be way worse than that!

I'm not sure if I want to keep it though. I will need to tweak the picture a lot as the default settings are really too bright (I can see clearly everything in the Game of Thrones S08E03, that's not normal!).

Any recommandation for another 55" TV with better black levels in dark room?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3951 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
secretliar wrote: I received mine.

There's a few scratches on the feet (I think I can switch both as it's only on one side of the feet)
There's a dent of the plastic near the power button.
Run time of 37 days and a few hours.

I'm kinda impressed by the picture quality so far. Sure it's not extra, but I thought it would be way worse than that!

I'm not sure if I want to keep it though. I will need to tweak the picture a lot as the default settings are really too bright (I can see clearly everything in the Game of Thrones S08E03, that's not normal!).

Any recommandation for another 55" TV with better black levels in dark room?
TCL 6 series @ Costco. But you'll be substantially more (around $689+tax)
Jan 2, 2015
475 posts
435 upvotes
Montréal area
honggil wrote: TCL 6 series @ Costco. But you'll be substantially more (around $689+tax)
Thanks for the input.

I understand that for now, it's the best deal ;)

Does someone can just tell me where the ambient brightness sensor is? I don't feel like the brightness is changing according to the ambient light and I want to do a few tests :)
Jan 2, 2015
475 posts
435 upvotes
Montréal area
I will return mine as the dirty screen effect is too much for me.

If somebody is interested in Terrebonne/Mascouche Qc, send me a pm. I might wait a few days before returning anyway.