Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Kindle & Kindle Paperwhite | $84.99 ($82.44 w/PSP) & $114.99 (Also on Amazon/BestBuy) (Usually $119.99 & $139.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 4:45 pm
Dec 14, 2013
112 posts
133 upvotes
AJAX
LDN2012 wrote: Does the PPI difference between the paperwhite and the kindle make that big of a difference? From YouTube it looks like the Kindle is probably fine for almost everyone.

Dont forget that you can get cases for 1/2 the price on Alibaba!
Can't notice the difference between my old 166 and new 300 ppi unless right beside each other.
Dec 14, 2013
112 posts
133 upvotes
AJAX
If you guys are planning on reading in the tub, get the Paperwhite.
If you've never read in the tub, I strongly recommend it.
Sep 10, 2017
231 posts
170 upvotes
figi28 wrote: Bestbuy has the Paperwhite on for $114.99 right now.
Amazon just dropped their price to $114.99 as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
1925 posts
251 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: You still can. I put my wheel of Time books on it using this method a little while ago. I'm on a Paperwhite
Thanks, got one for night reading. Resolution has never been an issue, it's e-ink. Also waterproof might be needed but it's not like you can't use this thing by a pool, I've never had an issue with water getting on it.
Feb 17, 2014
131 posts
216 upvotes
Calgary
Is it true that you can't read e-books from the public library on the Kindle?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1152 posts
2937 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yycguy1 wrote: Is it true that you can't read e-books from the public library on the Kindle?
In Toronto, you can’t. The apps used for ebooks are Libby/Overdrive/Adobe Digital Editions and sending those books to kindle through the Libby/Overdrive only works in the US for now.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
1theguy1 wrote: BestBuy has same deal, minus PSP: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/am ... k/14479197

How are these? I used to have a Sony PRS-T1 but even with a matte screen found annoying glare when using a reading light. I'm guessing the built-in light would prevent that here.

Does this or any other e-reader have text to speech?
My first reader was a prs-t1 as well and I can tell you that even eReaders of 4-5 years ago have come a long way since then. Backlit screens are pretty standard now and it's not going to cause glare.
Aug 26, 2008
114 posts
138 upvotes
Oakville
Clement wrote: My first reader was a prs-t1 as well.
Haha, same here! I got one for free by signing up for a Sony MBNA credit card. I believe I saw that deal here on RFD almost a decade ago. I'm now using a gen 1 Kobo Aura, and felt no need to replace it since acquiring it. Colored e-readers are coming out one-by-one nowadays, I'm sure Kobo will get in that game soon too.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1783 posts
978 upvotes
Thanks. Didn't want to wait for Kobo to go back on sale.
Aug 7, 2011
697 posts
251 upvotes
Clement wrote: My first reader was a prs-t1 as well and I can tell you that even eReaders of 4-5 years ago have come a long way since then. Backlit screens are pretty standard now and it's not going to cause glare.
Thanks - good to know! Although, PRS-T1 had same resolution as this Kindle here, so I guess it was ahead for its time ;)
Jul 29, 2016
141 posts
108 upvotes
another sony t1 user. lol

I have a question how fast this reader opens a book and how many books it can handle in the memory.
If I have a dozen or more books on my t1 it becomes extremely slow and could not navigate through the list and open books very slow.
Apr 12, 2005
919 posts
153 upvotes
michelangelo88 wrote: In Toronto, you can’t. The apps used for ebooks are Libby/Overdrive/Adobe Digital Editions and sending those books to kindle through the Libby/Overdrive only works in the US for now.
Im not suggesting anything but......

There are some easy workarounds to this problem

Google DRM removal
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1152 posts
2937 upvotes
Toronto, ON
superizzy wrote: Im not suggesting anything but......

There are some easy workarounds to this problem

Google DRM removal
I mean, yes. But, I'm getting lazier as I get older :\
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Apr 12, 2005
919 posts
153 upvotes
i have an old Paperwhite (like 6 or 7 years) and i have to say its a really great product

I try to shy away from single purpose electronics ( just one more extra thing to lug around) but its designed for one thing and does that one thing really really well.

If you are a heavy reader I would get the one that performs/feels best in hand to you even if its a few $$$ more . Money well spent