Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Kindle & Kindle Paperwhite | $84.99 ($82.44 w/PSP) & $114.99 (Also on Amazon/BestBuy) (Usually $119.99 & $139.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 4:45 pm
Sep 10, 2017
231 posts
170 upvotes
Chaindrop wrote:
Haha, same here! I got one for free by signing up for a Sony MBNA credit card. I believe I saw that deal here on RFD almost a decade ago. I'm now using a gen 1 Kobo Aura, and felt no need to replace it since acquiring it. Colored e-readers are coming out one-by-one nowadays, I'm sure Kobo will get in that game soon too.
When did you acquire said Kobo? My family has gone through at least 5 or 6 Kobo devices, several models, and all eventually failed in one way or another. Any Kindle devices we've had are still going strong. Wouldn't trust Kobo to build anything that lasts.
Aug 26, 2008
114 posts
138 upvotes
Oakville
blckmntn wrote: When did you acquire said Kobo? My family has gone through at least 5 or 6 Kobo devices, several models, and all eventually failed in one way or another. Any Kindle devices we've had are still going strong. Wouldn't trust Kobo to build anything that lasts.
I got it around 2013, maybe I just got lucky with mine? Didn't know that they had major QC issues.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5764 posts
4416 upvotes
killbillvol1 wrote: 167ppi? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Unless your reading material includes a lot of comics and manga, it's doesn't really matter. And if it does, get 300ppi Paperwhite.
Dec 22, 2017
337 posts
549 upvotes
What do you guys think of the Oasis? Is it worth waiting for that to go on sale?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1152 posts
2937 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GeneralAkbar wrote: What do you guys think of the Oasis? Is it worth waiting for that to go on sale?
I have no experience with that one. Compared to the standard kindles, Oasis seems like quite a splurge. If it's in your budget, why not. But if you're waiting for a deal, it very rarely drops in price.

A review you could check out:
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Aug 10, 2010
405 posts
253 upvotes
Isn't 6" is too small for reading? While paper books maybe around the same size, these seem to be smaller than some modern phone screens.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8347 posts
3783 upvotes
Markham
shoppingsheep wrote: Isn't 6" is too small for reading? While paper books maybe around the same size, these seem to be smaller than some modern phone screens.
It's small to read (at least for me) and you need tap too many times if books have a lot pages

But on the positive side, it's easy to carry
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1152 posts
2937 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shoppingsheep wrote: Isn't 6" is too small for reading? While paper books maybe around the same size, these seem to be smaller than some modern phone screens.
smartie wrote:
It's small to read (at least for me) and you need tap too many times if books have a lot pages

But on the positive side, it's easy to carry
I think it’s adequate in my view. It could be better for sure. But I think this is a deliberate choice so as to make the device light and small.
6” display is the size of a shortish paperback.

I’ve owned a kindle in one form or another since it’s launch. I don’t think that the size or “tapping” have ever crossed my mind. But that’s just me.

Honestly, isn’t tapping on a screen almost natural now?
Also, the text properties are changeable.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8347 posts
3783 upvotes
Markham
michelangelo88 wrote: I think it’s adequate in my view. It could be better for sure. But I think this is a deliberate choice so as to make the device light and small.
6” display is the size of a shortish paperback.

I’ve owned a kindle in one form or another since it’s launch. I don’t think that the size or “tapping” have ever crossed my mind. But that’s just me.

Honestly, isn’t tapping on a screen almost natural now?
Also, the text properties are changeable.
In terms of font size, kindle only gives you fixed font size to select. But kobo can let you select any font size.

Ereader size is personal choice for sure. I just think 6 inch is pretty much phone size. Remind me that someone tried to read "war and peace " in iPhone lol
Nov 14, 2017
454 posts
597 upvotes
Vancouver
Any thoughts on 8gb vs. 32gb on Kindle Paperwhite? Never owned an e-reader before but 8gb seems plenty of space for text files.

Thinking to pull trigger on Paperwhite having mulled over buying it for the last 4 years.
Dec 22, 2017
337 posts
549 upvotes
RedFlagCrake wrote: Any thoughts on 8gb vs. 32gb on Kindle Paperwhite? Never owned an e-reader before but 8gb seems plenty of space for text files.

Thinking to pull trigger on Paperwhite having mulled over buying it for the last 4 years.

Go with 8gb

The 32gb is supposedly big enough for audiobooks. But if you were listening to audio books, just use your phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8347 posts
3783 upvotes
Markham
RedFlagCrake wrote: Any thoughts on 8gb vs. 32gb on Kindle Paperwhite? Never owned an e-reader before but 8gb seems plenty of space for text files.

If you just use for text based book, even 2gb is enough

The people who store thousands books in ereader usually the ones who are too "busy" to read