Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Linksys EA6700 Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Smart Router $89.99

[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
57 posts
99 upvotes

[The Source] Linksys EA6700 Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Smart Router $89.99

Picked up this router to use as a second access point in my house. I couldn't find another router from another reputable brand with the same/similar specs at this price (besides TPlink but their products and services are garbage IMO).

I tried to get it price matched at Canada Computers first as it was closer to me, but they flat out denied me and said this price was TOO LOW for them, along with other excuses.
13 replies
Dec 29, 2017
81 posts
56 upvotes
Disregard these routers, too outdated, despite attractive price. Linksys is getting rid of them. Look into routers with MU-MIMO technology. Could be more expensive, but they very well worth the price given how many wireless devices we all have these days in out households.

-IMO
Oct 19, 2004
354 posts
39 upvotes
track2 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 10:36 pm
Disregard these routers, too outdated, despite attractive price. Linksys is getting rid of them. Look into routers with MU-MIMO technology. Could be more expensive, but they very well worth the price given how many wireless devices we all have these days in out households.

-IMO
Looking for a good router or maybe going to try the mesh products currently out. Is there a particular router with MU-MIMO or deal you'd recommend?
Mar 16, 2011
354 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
track2 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 10:36 pm

-IMO
MU-MIMO only works with devices that are compatible with MU-MIMO - not many devices support it even in the current day. Moreover, if you have more than 4 devices connected, MU-MIMO routers essentially turns into a normal router (since they can only open 4 individual connection streams before it starts sharing them).

I tend to stay away from Linksys since their security updates are slow (if any) and the software simply isn't there. With that said, $90 for an AC1750 router is rather attractive.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
57 posts
99 upvotes
If I was searching for a primary router sure, I'd be looking for a router with all the bells and whistles. However I just needed a solution to get more coverage to use with my existing setup, I'm not going to shell out 3-4x for a newer MU-MIMO router in this case.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19108 posts
856 upvotes
EA6700 (and EA6900) actually has the same 800MHz dual core CPU as the Asus AC68U. 128MB flash & 256MB RAM. Pretty powerful hardware at this price point.

If you plan to flash with 3rd party FW (e.g. Tomato), AFAIK, you do need to perform a 64KB CFE fix before you can flash.
Dec 29, 2017
81 posts
56 upvotes
Picked this one up not too long ago for $190 from neweggs, its refurbished but risk was worth taking. Loving it so far, got full home coverage, about 12 devices connected simultaneously.

www. newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320287&Tpk=N82E16833320287
Dec 29, 2017
81 posts
56 upvotes
chrisc2 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 10:40 pm
Looking for a good router or maybe going to try the mesh products currently out. Is there a particular router with MU-MIMO or deal you'd recommend?
www. newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320287&Tpk=N82E16833320287
Feb 9, 2013
29 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Not a bad router for it's function.

I'd strongly suggest deactivating the wireless portion and then go out and buy a Ubiquiti Unifi access point. People should stop messing around and simply get a wireless access point that is enterprise grade.

If you analyze the reliability an access point like the ubiquiti just destroys these wireless router toys including the much more expensive gaming "space ship" looking routers.

If you do buy this lynksys router I strongly suggest buying an arctic or thermaltake usb external usb fan. Use the fan to evacuate the hot temps of the router and it'll last a long time!!!!
Last edited by notslow65 on Feb 17th, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4402 posts
1331 upvotes
notslow65 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 8:39 pm
Not a bad router for it's function.

I'd strongly suggest deactivating the wireless portion and then go out and buy a Ubiquiti Unifi access point. People should stop messing around and simply get a wireless access point that is enterprise grade.

If you analyze the reliability an access point like the ubiquiti just destroys these wireless router toys including the much more expensive gaming "space ship" looking routers.
Except that 95% of people don't need them Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 9, 2013
29 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
The average household upstairs can get away with a typical wireless router. I use two access points in my home upstairs. I use 1 in my living room and the other AP is on the other end of the house. My home external garage gets a solid 50Mbs, upstairs is approx 150-170Mbs, downstairs varies averaging 35-50Mps.

My lynksys EA4500 is about 6+yrs old with an external thermaltake usb fan cooling it. No issues so far. Ubiquiti unifi made my Netgear R7000 (which fried due to firmware outputting transmit power of my 2.4ghz too much) seem like a toy.

If you live in a small apartment no need to spend on an AP.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2501 posts
476 upvotes
Oshawa
I purchased the DLink DIR-859 AC17500 for $79.99 from Bestbuy during Boxing Day. It's great! Smooth. But it lacks a USB port. Not really a big issue ... but would prefer to have a USB port.

I have my Rogers Gigabit Modem in the basement. House is prewired.

Wall to DIR859. Ran one CAT5 back down to the basement and then back up to the fireplace area in the living to the computer behind the TV ... so it streams at roughly 780Mbps.

My Vizio Smart 4K connects wirelessly to the DIR859.

Then I have another CAT5 running from the DIR859 under the couch to my laptop that I use in my liviing room.

My other wireless devices connect to the 5GHz connection on the DIR859.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Dec 30, 2017
4 posts
I would recommended Asus ac1750 from bestbuy. That one is basically a ac68u and you can make it ac68u by Merlin firmware. It’s also Aimeah support so you can buy another Asus router and expand coverage in th future