Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Microsoft Wireless Sculpt Desktop Keyboard & Mouse - English $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2019 2:19 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2008
268 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver

[The Source] Microsoft Wireless Sculpt Desktop Keyboard & Mouse - English $79.99

Good price for a great ergonomic kb/mouse combo.
Images
  • 1818024_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000.jpg
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1518 posts
831 upvotes
Kitchener
Have this set and really like it. One thing I dont like is that if you lose the dongle... or its damaged... you need to buy the whole set over again, even though you have a perfectly working keyboard and mouse.

Love the logitech unity system that helps avoid this.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3168 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
keyser-soze wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 6:24 pm
Have this set and really like it. One thing I dont like is that if you lose the dongle... or its damaged... you need to buy the whole set over again, even though you have a perfectly working keyboard and mouse.

Agree with this one hundred percent. Use this at work and it's a great setup. Damaged my dongle and had to ditch both mouse and keyboard. Felt so guilty pitching the bloody thing.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3998 posts
1127 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 6:30 pm
Agree with this one hundred percent. Use this at work and it's a great setup. Damaged my dongle and had to ditch both mouse and keyboard. Felt so guilty pitching the bloody thing.
How can you damage the dongle? Isn't it plugged to the back of your computer?
[OP]
May 25, 2008
268 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a longer dongle and you can accidentally knock it off.
Nov 29, 2013
83 posts
125 upvotes
I guess you can use a short USB extension and tape the dongle sideways to your tower or something.
Best buy has for 99.99, so you can save another $2+tax and pick up in store if PM!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3168 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 6:43 pm
How can you damage the dongle? Isn't it plugged to the back of your computer?
It's plugged into wherever you want. In this case, the side of my laptop.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Jun 26, 2010
123 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. For anyone interested, 74.39 with good life discount
Aug 8, 2010
174 posts
90 upvotes
Quebec
Awesome, I like this combo even if I can’t stand the mouse. Anyne interested in 4 untouched mouses without the dongle ? :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24677 posts
4954 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 6:24 pm

The sad part is, back in the day, MS would actually program you a receiver and send it to you (based on you sending them your serial#). However at some point they stopped doing that which sucks because the receivers on the proprietary wireless ones are keyed/paired to the ID in the device(s) meaning even if you can find a used receiver it won't work either.

This is one of the cases where Bluetooth would avoid this issue. Logitech's "Unifying" receiver the same. Though I never really liked Logitech I find myself buying a lot more of their stuff now because MS' hardware prices have gone through the roof in the past 8-10 years or so, by comparison. I must say that the idea your Logitech thing will still work after loss or damage of the receiver, is much better. MS doing this nonsense is not just painful for the consumer, it's also environmentally unfriendly.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1518 posts
831 upvotes
Kitchener
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 9:45 pm
The sad part is, back in the day, MS would actually program you a receiver and send it to you (based on you sending them your serial#). However at some point they stopped doing that which sucks because the receivers on the proprietary wireless ones are keyed/paired to the ID in the device(s) meaning even if you can find a used receiver it won't work either.

This is one of the cases where Bluetooth would avoid this issue. Logitech's "Unifying" receiver the same. Though I never really liked Logitech I find myself buying a lot more of their stuff now because MS' hardware prices have gone through the roof in the past 8-10 years or so, by comparison. I must say that the idea your Logitech thing will still work after loss or damage of the receiver, is much better. MS doing this nonsense is not just painful for the consumer, it's also environmentally unfriendly.
The only negative to the Logitech is... and this is a very very specific negative... if you are forgetful like me and leave your logitech mouse in a meeting room, someone can steal it and still use it... but I would still rather have that unfiying ability.

Oh another reason the logitech system is great because you can have up to 6 items connected to one dongle. So regardless of buying them separately, you just connect them with your one dongle, great for laptop users.

Also this allows you to have dongles in say your work laptop, work test rig and home laptops and your device will connect to either (mx mouse can connect to 3 different dongles) and just switch between then my clicking a button on the bottom.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1518 posts
831 upvotes
Kitchener
jslabonte wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 8:36 pm
Awesome, I like this combo even if I can’t stand the mouse. Anyne interested in 4 untouched mouses without the dongle ? :)
Lol so basically 4 garbage mice :p
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1098 posts
401 upvotes
jslabonte wrote:
I hate the mouse too so only use they keyboard.

It feels like holding a ball and way too tall.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1337 posts
180 upvotes
I bought this keyboard the last time it was on sale at The Source and PM'ed against BB. I really like MS' ergo keyboard designs and have been using them since the first Natural keyboard. I really wanted to like this Sculpt keyboard, but the fact is within the first week of owning it, the keyboard disconnected 5-6 times. I would need to remove the dongle and reinsert it, or reboot my computer to get it to connect again. This was a huge pain in the ass since I was using this work work. I browsed around the internet and found many others have the same complaint. This wasn't a matter of having the dongle placed too far from the keyboard. I was using it with a laptop that sat right next to the keyboard. I even tried using a USB extension cable to put the dongle side-by-side to the keyboard to no avail. There was also a minor issue of some of the function keys sticking when you press them. The connectivity problem paired with the ginormous mouse that gave me hand cramps made this set unusable for me and I ended up returning it. I'm back to my trusty Natural Ergonomic 4000.
Jan 18, 2015
19 posts
21 upvotes
Westmount, QC
jslabonte wrote:
I like it but how can i get one working with out a receiver?