[The Source] Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VRII Lens $120

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 2:27 pm
[OP]
Mar 2, 2016
2 posts
7 upvotes

[The Source] Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VRII Lens $120

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VRII Lens is available online at The Source for $119.96.

Ken Rockwell gave it a positive review describing it as "Perfect for use on every DX digital Nikon. Great sports, nature and portrait lens; there's no need to pay more."

You can read his full review here https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr-ii.htm.

Edit: Out of stock now. FYI I actually saw this a few weeks ago when I missed out on the tamron af 70-200mm f/2.8 vc ultrasonic g2 deal and was searching for a cheaper alternative however it was out of stock back then. Not sure how often they restock but if you're patient you can try checking back later another week like I did.
Last edited by tArflyNAtHoR on Apr 27th, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Oct 8, 2010
39 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener
Ken Rockwell isn't exactly an expert on cameras or lenses.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14292 posts
4792 upvotes
Toronto
Great lens for the $. Good choice if you shoot Nikon crop.
Feb 22, 2010
399 posts
309 upvotes
Great for point and shoot on automatic settings. Otherwise, go for prime.

My advice is, don't spend money on this lens if you care about your technique. In a month from now, you'll want to change for something better than f/4.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14292 posts
4792 upvotes
Toronto
douber wrote: Great for point and shoot on automatic settings. Otherwise, go for prime.

My advice is, don't spend money on this lens if you care about your technique. In a month from now, you'll want to change for something better than f/4.
Nonsense. This is a perfect lens for the majority of people. The new Nikon DX lenses, the Version II ones are actually quite sharp.

I assume you know what a fast aperture telephoto lens costs? It's silly to compare this to professional lenses costing 5 - 10X more.
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
....More importantly....its OOS
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2500 posts
1581 upvotes
douber wrote: Great for point and shoot on automatic settings. Otherwise, go for prime.

This is terrible advice lol. $120! This is a great price for this lens if you can track one down. You can shoot just fine with this as a hobbyist for many years and great for video as well thanks to the VR. I used the lesser quality Canon version for almost 7 years before moving to full frame.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1661 posts
650 upvotes
Montreal
Aww man would have been a nice gift to my gf, OOS
Feb 13, 2004
836 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
I remember I had bought a Nikon VR 28-200 in Portland since they have no tax. Came to $700 after conversion. Prices sure have come down for lenses it seems. Great lens if you want to just carry one lens and not have to switch out often.
Feb 22, 2010
399 posts
309 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Nonsense. This is a perfect lens for the majority of people. The new Nikon DX lenses, the Version II ones are actually quite sharp.

I assume you know what a fast aperture telephoto lens costs? It's silly to compare this to professional lenses costing 5 - 10X more.
If this lens' limitations suit your needs, go ahead. Chances are, if you're looking at this, you already bought a DSLR between 500$ and 1500$ (which probably came with better lens).

If not, again, as I mentioned earlier, if you just point and shoot, it'll do the job, just like an iPhone would.

And for your information, if you search around, you'll find pretty good lens far better (f/2.4 or better) for less than 350$, which will bring you much more light and a nicer bokeh.
Feb 22, 2010
399 posts
309 upvotes
Duuuuude wrote: This is terrible advice lol. $120! This is a great price for this lens if you can track one down. You can shoot just fine with this as a hobbyist for many years and great for video as well thanks to the VR. I used the lesser quality Canon version for almost 7 years before moving to full frame.
Try photographing a kid playing in low light with this lens. It's just about impossible. They market the zoom, but what one should really look for is the aperture. But hey, like I said, if it suits your needs, go for it. Chances are, if you are serious about photography, you'll buy something else before you hit 1k clicks with this one.

AS for VR, it's just about useless. First thing you learn when you start in the business, is to turn that gimmick off.