• Mar 17th, 2021 12:38 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9153 posts
5596 upvotes
Toronto

[The Source] Official Xbox Wireless Headset (Preorder) - $110.49 w/ PSP

The Source has the official Xbox Wireless Headset for preorder for $110.49 with PSP discount, pretty good discount for what looks to be a popular headset. Releases March 16.
Images
  • Screenshot_2021-03-02-18-02-29-15.jpg
  • 3max.jpg
  • 210215153504-xbox-wireless-headset-preorder-lead.jpg
Thread Summary
Looking for other options? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming headsets!
60 replies
Aug 8, 2010
395 posts
293 upvotes
Thanks OP

got one

FYI mine says March 23rd delivery so a few days after official release
Dec 11, 2020
2 posts
Be ready for an email notification from their department for verification. This happened to me ordering the ps5 headset, and they just cancelled it.
Nov 23, 2016
322 posts
529 upvotes
I am still on the fence about this headset. After using the Cloud II for a few years I wouldn't mind wireless. Hopefully its about on par or better than what I got now.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1014 posts
811 upvotes
Ottawa
I read about this headset but still can't find how it connects to the XB1 X or others. Xbox doesn't have Bluetooth, so does this use an adapter like the Astro headsets? I hate those.
Sep 1, 2015
788 posts
929 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Pretty good discount for what looks to be a popular headset. Releases March 16.
It hasn't even released yet and there are little to no actual reviews or videos on it, so it's only popular because it is fanboys hyping it before release? I currently use the Xbox One Stereo headset on my Series X. I've only bought two in 7+ years of Xbox One ownership. The first was bought for $39.99 from Target when it was here and on sale in 2014 and the second when the first went bad in 2018. I could use others but I rarely game in multiplayer these days so no real need for headset.

Just like the Playstation Pulse 3D headset, please do not hype an unreleased product with little to no reviews. Especially the sellout. They always sell out as they come to market and soon will b3 widely available. No idea how much better they are than the Arctis 7x or Astro A40 or Astro A50 etc. I would wait for reviews. The discount is nice since they are msrp $129.99, but if they're a middling headset, that money could be better spent towards a different headset.
Last edited by Harold91 on Mar 2nd, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2005
606 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener
aidendanger wrote: I read about this headset but still can't find how it connects to the XB1 X or others. Xbox doesn't have Bluetooth, so does this use an adapter like the Astro headsets? I hate those.
It uses the Xbox proprietary wireless, same protocol the controllers use. There is no dongle. The Bluetooth can be used at the same time as well, so you could for example pipe in a call or discord chat from your phone while also using the console.
Nov 23, 2016
322 posts
529 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: I read about this headset but still can't find how it connects to the XB1 X or others. Xbox doesn't have Bluetooth, so does this use an adapter like the Astro headsets? I hate those.
It connects to the xbox directly using wireless like the controllers. For PC it connects via Bluetooth or the Windows 10 dongle or USBC. All of this is on the MS page for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1014 posts
811 upvotes
Ottawa
bendak wrote: It uses the Xbox proprietary wireless, same protocol the controllers use. There is no dongle. The Bluetooth can be used at the same time as well, so you could for example pipe in a call or discord chat from your phone while also using the console.

Oh man this is way better!! Thank you. Kids need new ones soon and these look sweet and not overly expensive. Thank you for replying! You too @arkhira
Sep 1, 2015
788 posts
929 upvotes
Seems to be only 40mm drivers and bluetooth 4.2 as well. Keep that in mind as the newer headsets come to market and have bluetooth 5.0 if you wanted to use this with kthwe consoles or devices. The Xbox wireless protocol is superior to bluetooth as is, but if you are spending over $120 on a headset, you really want it to be used on everything. I'm most interested in battery life of the wireless versus SteelSeries or HyperX. All that spatial audio, blah blah. If you have Dolby Atmos or DTS-X on Xbox, it works for a lot of headsets as is.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2965 posts
642 upvotes
Their marketing material states
"Pair directly to your console with Xbox Wireless radio without the need for a dongle, cable, or base station and connect to your mobile device with Bluetooth"
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1186 posts
1083 upvotes
no haptics, just get the Nari Ultimate. Works great
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9153 posts
5596 upvotes
Toronto
Harold91 wrote: Just like the Playstation Pulse 3D headset, please do not hype an unreleased product with little to no reviews. Especially the sellout.
Fair point, best to not open it until you read reviews first so you have the option to return it.

I expect it to be readily available (Amazon also taking preorders) but a $20 discount is not a given soon after release.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8360 posts
5167 upvotes
Toronto
Harold91 wrote: Seems to be only 40mm drivers and bluetooth 4.2 as well. Keep that in mind as the newer headsets come to market and have bluetooth 5.0 if you wanted to use this with kthwe consoles or devices. The Xbox wireless protocol is superior to bluetooth as is, but if you are spending over $120 on a headset, you really want it to be used on everything.
I'm wondering how or if this headset actually works for Windows 10 PC gaming over bluetooth because every bluetooth set I own has this known issue where they can either use A2DP stereo mode playback or HSP mode for the headset/mic chat but not both simultaneously and sending the game audio through HSP sounds horrible. It's why most gaming headsets have their own proprietary wireless dongle as it's a limitation of bluetooth 4.2 if i understand correclty
Mar 2, 2011
296 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: no haptics, just get the Nari Ultimate. Works great
I have it, its a gimmick that is fun for 1 hour then it becomes an annoyance.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19709 posts
5867 upvotes
Got to be better than the PS5 headset. Hurts my ears after 1 hour. Prefer my Krakens on the Xbox X but would look at something else if it's good.
Dec 21, 2020
2 posts
Hoq do you get the discount OP? When i go to the link it says 129.99 when added to cart
Mar 11, 2019
299 posts
276 upvotes
Bluetooth is a resource hog in windows and causes latency. 2.4ghz wireless is better.