• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 9:06 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2011
32 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver

[The Source] OOS - Kingston Mobilelite Wireless G3 Portable Router - $14.96

In a nutshell, this is a portable dual band wireless N & AC router with a battery and file sharing through USB and an SD card slot. The battery is 5400 mAh and it can be used as a portable charger through the USB port, to power the router function or both. A microUSB cable and a microSD to SD adapter are included in the package. It can function as a wired AP, a wifi repeater or an independent AP serving data off USB/SD. It doesn't function as a USB card reader and the microUSB port is for charging only, unlike the previous G2. Files can be accessed and managed through Kingston's iOS app, Android app or Samba. Files can be read from any web browser too.

I have one from a previous sale and picked it up from a store. I added the maximum link speeds below because I couldn't find them online, but in practice internet download speeds max out at about 90 mbps (11 MB/s) and files at 56 mbps (7 MB/s). Max upload speeds are about a third and a half of the download speeds respectively. Their USB amp output wording is a bit suspect, but I know it can provide at least 1.2A from a USB meter I have.

Spectacular price for what it is. There's also Ebates at 4% back right now.

Manufacturer Specs:
Storage: USB and SD – reads SD, SDHC, SDXC and microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC (with included adapter)
Supported File Systems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT
Wireless Network Interface: 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n (150 mbps @ 40 MHz) & 5GHz 802.11ac (390 mbps @ 80 MHz)
WLAN Ethernet Port: to function as an access point (10/100 mbps)
Customisable Device Name: (SSID) User selectable Wi-Fi priority list when there are multiple APN/Key available
Rechargeable Battery: up to 11 hours of continuous use; built-in Li-ion 5,400 mAh battery with 3.8V 2.0A output maximum
Local Storage: wirelessly transfer files to and from the MobileLite app and the MobileLite Wireless hardware
Camera Roll support: allows users to move photos and videos from their mobile device to MobileLite Wireless in order to free up space
Cable: USB to micro USB cable included
Guaranteed: two-year warranty, free technical support
Operating Temperature: 0–35°C
Storage Temperature: 0–45°C
Dimensions: 115mm x 80mm x 24mm
Weight: 192g
Last edited by Azureskies on Jan 1st, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
4% Ebates cashback
96 replies
Mar 2, 2015
150 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have an older version
it's a useful and versatile device
definitely hot deal at this price
in for one
thanks OP
May 30, 2013
350 posts
227 upvotes
Markham
I have this portable wireless card reader/router, it works very well for my iPad and iPhone.
For $15 I will get an extra one. Mine was originally bought for $45 a couple years ago
Last edited by chanc2 on Jan 1st, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 20, 2015
126 posts
32 upvotes
Brantford, ON
In for one also. Thanks op. Good price for something that has quite a few uses.
oh can this also be used in hotel rooms/resorts to share Wi-Fi with multiple users.
Jan 21, 2008
57 posts
37 upvotes
Thumbs up as I appreciate the description and information you provided. But what are the use cases for this?
May 30, 2013
350 posts
227 upvotes
Markham
It can act as a card reader, so I have a 64GB SD card and a 128GB USB thumb drive attached to it for all my media files, movies music on the go.
It can stream over to different iPads or phones simultaneously, it is very useful when you are on a road trip or family vocation, as each iPad or phone can stream different files from it all at once.
Oct 16, 2012
237 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
How so? Thanks would connect to the hotel AP but then how would it know to share internet access to other devices?
Jan 21, 2008
57 posts
37 upvotes
chanc2 wrote: It can act as a card reader, so I have a 64GB SD card and a 128GB USB thumb drive attached to it for all my media files, movies music on the go.
It can stream over to different iPads or phones simultaneously, it is very useful when you are on a road trip or family vocation, as each iPad or phone can stream different files from it all at once.
Can you use your chromecast on trips along with your setup?
May 30, 2013
350 posts
227 upvotes
Markham
Go on youtube, there are a lot of video about it.
May 10, 2016
167 posts
170 upvotes
PatMeGron wrote: How so? Thanks would connect to the hotel AP but then how would it know to share internet access to other devices?
You would plug the hotel's ethernet cord into the device, and the device would create a new WiFi network that several people can connect to.
Sep 27, 2007
228 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver
Do I need this? No
Do I want it? Not really

I still bought it anyway because of the deep discount.

Thanks, RFD.