• Aug 3rd, 2018 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12214 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto

[The Source] Roku 4630CA Premiere+ Streaming Player $44.99

The Roku 4630CA Premiere+ Streaming Player is being cleared out @ The Source for $46.99 This is a good deal for those who are looking for a media streamer with an established Ecosystem. A list of all Roku's and their feature differences can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Sixth_generation
Last edited by hightech on Jul 13th, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Why is this priced so low?
  • The Premiere line is likely going to be discontinued by Roku, which is probably the reason for the discounted price. But, since Roku does a good job maintaining software support for older hardware, this shouldn't be a major issue.
Why use a Roku instead of another streaming device?
  • The biggest features in favour of Roku devices are their ease of use and mature ecosystem. If you've ever had trouble getting an elderly parent to use a streaming device, try a Roku.
What is the difference between the Premiere/Premiere+/Ultra models?
  • The three models share the same hardware (in terms of processor, memory, wifi chip, etc.), but differ in terms of ports (ethernet, USB, optical out, micorSD) and features like remote finder. See the chart below for details.
source: idgconnect
Can you provide a review of the device?
160 replies
Apr 17, 2016
667 posts
381 upvotes
Ottawa
I just saw this an hour ago - my local store has limited stock available an I'm itching to get out from work early to pop in and grab one!
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1685 posts
264 upvotes
I'm done with Roku. The apps are terrible. So much junk on there.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1042 posts
460 upvotes
Nepean
second2none wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:25 pm
Agreed
Jan 14, 2012
197 posts
126 upvotes
second2none wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:25 pm
Only one app you need, Plex.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3673 posts
521 upvotes
Windsor
Great deal at this price....

If you're interested in pirate apps like on Kodi then this isn't for you.... But for legit apps and Plex, hard to beat at this price. Tempted to buy another as a spare!
Dec 24, 2017
238 posts
164 upvotes
In this day and age, why would anyone want to waste money and space on a peice of junk like Roku?
Dec 9, 2009
2 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
i just use 3 apps - PLEX, Netflix, and Youtube...
Is amazon prime on this yet?
Dec 22, 2017
24 posts
16 upvotes
$10 more than a Chromecast (when they're on sale for $35) but you get the remote which is easily worth the difference, and it even has the headphone jack built in. They don't work with google home and I wouldn't think they work with echo devices either, so if smart speakers are important to you then you should probably pass. Also the remote has a dedicated Spotify button.... Roku hasn't had a spotify app for a while lol.

You might be able to PM at bestbuy where they are currently $70 so the price would come down to $31.5 if it works.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1837 posts
278 upvotes
moon
Piece of junk. I bought 2 last year, used it for a week. Thats it. Anyone wants it for 40 let me know.
Parents are the most precious gift anyone can get. Love you always Dad

2014 : 394.00$ Arv
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1154 posts
197 upvotes
andperse wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:52 pm
$10 more than a Chromecast (when they're on sale for $35) but you get the remote which is easily worth the difference, and it even has the headphone jack built in. They don't work with google home and I wouldn't think they work with echo devices either, so if smart speakers are important to you then you should probably pass. Also the remote has a dedicated Spotify button.... Roku hasn't had a spotify app for a while lol.

You might be able to PM at bestbuy where they are currently $70 so the price would come down to $31.5 if it works.
Google home + Logitech Harmony + Roku (Works for me)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1262 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
I like how people are bashing Roku yet offering no alternatives.

A $250+ Shield Tv is not an alternative for this 44 dollar device.

If you need something for Netflix/Plex this is better than any comparably priced Android TV box especially for Netflix the Roku is certified and will playback 1080p at the highest bitrate where as an android TV box will do 480p or 720p if lucky.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1555 posts
1298 upvotes
Langley, BC
plex and netflix, nothing more is needed.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1685 posts
264 upvotes
steven80 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 4:09 pm
plex and netflix, nothing more is needed.
Good because that's just about all about it does! lol
Feb 5, 2017
160 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Roku Stick (2016) and very happy with it
Also been using it to watch IPTV via M3Us..but the channel been recently deactivated so been using Mi Box to do that.

Best part is the private listening. It is hooked up to my bedroom TV, and I plug headphones into my phone using the Roku app and the sound redirects through there. My wife can sleep while I watch late night TV.