Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

Roku 4630CA Premiere+ Streaming Player $44.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 4:14 pm
Dec 13, 2013
491 posts
432 upvotes
Sorry for my ignorance but can this be used as a Chromecast device to cast media from your Android mobile device to the TV?

I have read conflicting answers everywhere on the web with some people saying it uses MiraCast to cast media while some say it is the same as Chromecast.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Pretty useless in Canada. Unless you fool it through a rock solid VPN running on a router set to the US.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
pmcd wrote: Does the Amazon Prime app work in Canada?
Yes, but only for the Canada-allowed stuff. Which is next to useless.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2617 posts
3359 upvotes
Fredericton
massakk wrote: It's advertised HDR. I am not sure what that is exactly, but apparently it doesn't have that functionality. So, it's being discontinued, probably trying to avoid class action lawsuit.
Do you have any sources for this claim? I have two TV's that can report HDR using a Premiere+. It's the non-plus model that lacks HDR
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2617 posts
3359 upvotes
Fredericton
FatWallet wrote: Pretty useless in Canada. Unless you fool it through a rock solid VPN running on a router set to the US.
Plex, YouTube, Netflix, NHL, MLB, HDR support, easy interface, great remote. $45. Explain how that is useless.
Feb 11, 2007
627 posts
375 upvotes
$45 dollars for a piece of junk is really expensive. Just buy a firestick with thousands options more.
Nov 20, 2011
308 posts
233 upvotes
NORTH YORK
If you don't care about those fancy features like 4k, hdr, dolby vision etc, I advocate going for the mi box. You get your typical Netflix and YouTube, plus kodi, terrarium, and Google cast which is huge bonus.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2089 posts
1562 upvotes
celispin wrote: $45 dollars for a piece of junk is really expensive. Just buy a firestick with thousands options more.
I’ve had a Roku 3 Model 4200 for 5 years, and Fire TV 1st gen for 3 years, and I prefer the way the Netflix, Plex, Spotify, etc work on the older Roku.

So that’s why I have picked up the Premiere+ today with this deal. But it’s a personal preference in my opinion.

Native h.265 video support for playback with Plex will be a good upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Bordak wrote: Plex, YouTube, Netflix, NHL, MLB, HDR support, easy interface, great remote. $45. Explain how that is useless.
Go use it in the US for a year like I did with the myriad of choices available there, then come to Canada. Compared to that, next to useless with extremely limited choices. I noticed you didn't mention Prime. THAT certainly is mostly useless here, which is what I was initially referring to.

I threw my Premiere+ in a drawer and got an Android box. I can access all my US stuff now via a VPN.
Last edited by FatWallet on Jul 13th, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2836 posts
2775 upvotes
Ottawa
Just set mine up in two minutes. Netflix and Plex are working great. Way better than my sluggish old smart tv.
FatWallet wrote: Yes, but only for the Canada-allowed stuff. Which is next to useless.
As far as I can tell you can't get Prime Video on Roku - unless you change your region to US and/or use a VPN - or some other weird workaround, I forget exactly how you do it. It's definitely not in the available channels with a regular set up in Canada.
I am a current Public Mobile customer and Koodo customer.
Jul 28, 2010
842 posts
535 upvotes
I have a Roku, fire stick, Apple tv and mi box. Not a single one meets all my needs. NHL is best on the Roku though. Can start an in progress game from the beginning which I really like. Kodi used to do that, not anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
Ooooops wrote: I have smart TV (Sony) and it has inbuilt Netflix and YouTube - due to some strange reason YouTube is very spotty - Netflix is flawless - I am tired of resetting the TV and putting passwords again for Youtube/Netflix and Network repeatedly to make YouTube work
Can fellow RFDers share if youtube with account signed in works OK on Roku - I will go for it then

what year was your Sony TV released?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Dealter wrote: Sorry for my ignorance but can this be used as a Chromecast device to cast media from your Android mobile device to the TV?

I have read conflicting answers everywhere on the web with some people saying it uses MiraCast to cast media while some say it is the same as Chromecast.
It's Miracast. Works with my Win10 laptop (at 720p, not at 1080p), but not with any Android mobiles.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
For anyone not using theirs anymore and want to sell, please let me know.
Buy now
Aug 23, 2001
519 posts
709 upvotes
NS
FatWallet wrote: Go use it in the US for a year like I did with the myriad of choices available there, then come to Canada. Compared to that, next to useless with extremely limited choices. I noticed you didn't mention Prime. THAT certainly is mostly useless here, which is what I was initially referring to.

I threw my Premiere+ in a drawer and got an Android box. I can access all my US stuff now via a VPN.
"Go use it in the US for a year"? Your post doesn't even make sense. I think that your opinion of this device is useless.

I love my Roku streaming stick. Great for Netflix, Plex, MLB.tv, and NHL Game Center. Mine gets a hell of a lot of "use."

I just put your posts in a drawer.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Mailliw wrote: "Go use it in the US for a year"? Your post doesn't even make sense. I think that your opinion of this device is useless.
News flash: Roku uses IP addresses to allow programming. Even lots of free stuff available in the US does not work here. Canadians get about 20% of what Americans can access through it. Feel free to keep living in the dark.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have an Amazon fire stick, anyone want to trade for one lf these? I have a 4k tv and want the roku for the 4l Netflix.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)