[The Source] Sega Genesis Mini Console, $59.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 2:20 pm
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4013 posts
5110 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
roblombardi wrote: People, this is a much better Father's Day present than the Dollarama Swiss Army cologne
Yeah, but 60x times more expensive..

Dollorama Swiss Army cologne is better value
Apr 8, 2015
917 posts
912 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
would love some help with this. Are any of the games suitable for a 5 year old?

In this covid era, I tried booting up xbox360 and downloaded some demos but really most games are too complicated. Minecraft works but cant teach a 5 year old to craft stuff! Or is nintendo the only way to go for the young ones?
Jan 30, 2010
264 posts
168 upvotes
Mississauga
superxxxstud wrote: would love some help with this. Are any of the games suitable for a 5 year old?

In this covid era, I tried booting up xbox360 and downloaded some demos but really most games are too complicated. Minecraft works but cant teach a 5 year old to craft stuff! Or is nintendo the only way to go for the young ones?
There are a few kid friendly games on there but most are T rated I believe.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
1105 posts
1966 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: People, this is a much better Father's Day present than the Dollarama Swiss Army cologne
Depends on how much you love your father lol. For me even spending $4 on mine might be a stretch.
Jul 10, 2015
93 posts
21 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
I'll prolly catch some flak for this but I cringe when people buy these mini consoles. They're such a rip off and just a completely shameless cash grab. If you can go without the cute little shell you should just use emulators. Hell, even a raspberry pi or something with a 3rd party shell you can buy and put it in. You could fit every single Genesis game on it, not Just the 8 games or whatever they give you. Same goes for the other mini consoles too.
Dec 10, 2005
765 posts
1714 upvotes
justapoorboy wrote: I'll prolly catch some flak for this but I cringe when people buy these mini consoles. They're such a rip off and just a completely shameless cash grab. If you can go without the cute little shell you should just use emulators. Hell, even a raspberry pi or something with a 3rd party shell you can buy and put it in. You could fit every single Genesis game on it, not Just the 8 games or whatever they give you. Same goes for the other mini consoles too.
pi + case + power supply + two controllers + cables + unlicensed games + time >>> $59.99
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5497 posts
4510 upvotes
justapoorboy wrote: I'll prolly catch some flak for this but I cringe when people buy these mini consoles. They're such a rip off and just a completely shameless cash grab. If you can go without the cute little shell you should just use emulators. Hell, even a raspberry pi or something with a 3rd party shell you can buy and put it in. You could fit every single Genesis game on it, not Just the 8 games or whatever they give you. Same goes for the other mini consoles too.

Yes there's always a better version or way to things but you gotta stop somewhere.

To quote Jon Stewart: "Stop completing things and start living them"

This is great gift for my parents as is.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2563 posts
638 upvotes
ntchris wrote: waiting for 19.99.
PS Mini was absolute trash and it only dipped to that price point a couple of times...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1866 posts
906 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Yeah, but 60x times more expensive..

Dollorama Swiss Army cologne is better value
Also hits harder when your father smacks you over the face with your lame gift.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1848 posts
702 upvotes
Montreal, QC
website is down for maintenance? sigh
good price. highly tempting but i'd have to get the 6 buttons controller which adds to cost. may be cheaper to grab the japanese version instead
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3546 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
I got this a few months back for the same price. + the 6-button gamepad ($25)
Here's my take on the value of these mini consoles vs. pi DIY route:
The fact is that this here is a novelty item first and foremost, and as with all novelty items, you buy it because you have some level of emotional attachment to it. That's the real measure of the "value" here or lack of it...not by how many games you could have or how you can obtain them through other means i.e downloading the ROMS. IMO, there really is no debate regarding game "owning" and playing in that regard. It's a question of, is $xx.xx worth that emotional fulfillment of owning these specialty products?? I feel it's justified in spending such so I buy :) The DIY'ers seek a different type of fulfillment...so you really can't compare or say one way is better than the other.
Jun 6, 2018
147 posts
121 upvotes
To a lot of people ( myself included ) would much rather spend sixty bucks then waste time downloading files and setting up a raspberry pie. For $60 it's not worth the hassle but to each their own I guess
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4013 posts
5110 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
razrsharp wrote: Also hits harder when your father smacks you over the face with your lame gift.
Win win!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8413 posts
710 upvotes
Going with Nintendo Switch is your best bet, they can play with their friends online if they are into that. My 6 and 8 yr old didn't seem to have the "skill" to play older retro games that required super timing and such and got frustrated. I got them a switch with Yoshi Crafted Island, they love it and it's easy to play... my wallet didn't like it... switch games are a total rip off.
superxxxstud wrote: would love some help with this. Are any of the games suitable for a 5 year old?

...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Mar 9, 2009
295 posts
178 upvotes
You can fit every single game on this too...I have every Genesis, 32X, and Sega CD game on mine by adding a flash drive all in a cool case...it comes ready to rock with 30 games too for people that just want plug and play

At 59.99 this is a bargain IMO. You should price out your proposed setup including the time it takes